• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hey Northcyde...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Smoove has been a free agent now for 29 days.

Okafor, Biedrins, and Ellis are all signed.

What's taking the Hawks so long in signing Smoove when he's supposed to be our first priority?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's taking the Hawks so long in signing Smoove when he's supposed to be our first priority?

It's taking so long because the ASG is cheap and doesn't want to pay players what they are worth.

• Moderators

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it does seem that ASG is in the mode (and has been for the last year) of being afraid of making a mistake. You can't run anything that way. So Sund may have a difficult sell to the ASG group for a lot of decisions.

From the outside it looks like they were afraid to can Woody because the next coach may be worse, they were afraid to pull the trigger on trades until BK brought them the ultimate no brainer, they were afraid to sign Chill because they thought it'd limit their money for Smoove.

I know this is all complicated stuff and we are impatient fans but at some point you have to show a committment to the team you've built or tear it down. The fans showed in the playoffs that we like Smoove, Horford, JJ as the core of this franchise. Chill was also an important piece but the fans will let that go. The big three however should be untouchable.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it does seem that ASG is in the mode (and has been for the last year) of being afraid of making a mistake. You can't run anything that way. So Sund may have a difficult sell to the ASG group for a lot of decisions.

From the outside it looks like they were afraid to can Woody because the next coach may be worse, they were afraid to pull the trigger on trades until BK brought them the ultimate no brainer, they were afraid to sign Chill because they thought it'd limit their money for Smoove.

I know this is all complicated stuff and we are impatient fans but at some point you have to show a committment to the team you've built or tear it down. The fans showed in the playoffs that we like Smoove, Horford, JJ as the core of this franchise. Chill was also an important piece but the fans will let that go. The big three however should be untouchable.

......then he should be signed by now,BUT HE'S NOT.

• Premium Member

Taking risks is part of being an owner, if you aren't willing to than you shouldn't own a team. Look what Utah did when they signed Boozer and Okur to overpriced contracts, people thought they made huge mistakes but that worked out VERY well. Look how well JJ turned out for us, that was a huge risk. You don't acquire great players without overpaying sometimes. Regardless, paying Smith 12 million or even 13 is not overpaying. If it is, it's SLIGHTLY overpaying, which shouldn't matter considering the consequences of losing him.

Taking risks is part of being an owner, if you aren't willing to than you shouldn't own a team. Look what Utah did when they signed Boozer and Okur to overpriced contracts, people thought they made huge mistakes but that worked out VERY well. Look how well JJ turned out for us, that was a huge risk. You don't acquire great players without overpaying sometimes. Regardless, paying Smith 12 million or even 13 is not overpaying. If it is, it's SLIGHTLY overpaying, which shouldn't matter considering the consequences of losing him.

Re-signing the Joshes wasn't a risk. It was the smart/safe move. A volatile mega-SNT is the risk here...

I wasn't necessarily responding to you. I just wanted to point out that they are taking a huge risk with their bottom line by considering moving Smith. They are pushing away all of the fans they gained in the playoffs.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Premium Member

MacDaddy,

I think it's the other way around. I think ASG gave Sund full power to make deals. I think ASG is a slow running group by nature but also that they don't really have a clue about a player's worth. I feel that these guys were gung ho about resigning Smoove after the Boston series and would have done 12 per if they were sure they could be that team again. They hired Sund and I think Sund is just a hardball GM...

Catch this

For one thing, Okafor is probably the player that will truly set the market for Smoove as they should be considered near equals and Okafor JUST SIGNED TODAY.

For another, I'd say it's pretty likely that by now they have decided that they aren't willing to pay Smoove and are seriously exploring SnTs in the event that Smoove doesn't back down on the amount he wants.

For one thing, Okafor is probably the player that will truly set the market for Smoove as they should be considered near equals and Okafor JUST SIGNED TODAY.

For another, I'd say it's pretty likely that by now they have decided that they aren't willing to pay Smoove and are seriously exploring SnTs in the event that Smoove doesn't back down on the amount he wants.

The ASG better be willing to step up to the plate and give Smith a contract similar to what Okafor got. There really is no excuse now.

• Premium Member

The reason IMO for the long wait is they are trying to trade Smoove. There are two thoughts on Smoove.

1. He is as physically gifted athlete that has come to the Hawks since Nique and can do a lot of things others just can't physically do and that makes him special

His playoff series against Boston was spectacular.

2. He has been trouble and immature, He is young and plays out of control at times.

It appears to me that Sund and the ASG have decided that he is not worth the money and it could turn into the same sitiuation that Darius Miles caused in Portland. With that said, they are trying to tade him for a veteran player. Another reason could be they are hard balling and this is negotiations. I have been in negotiations between companies and unions in the past and the longer it goes on the nastier it gets. No, I am not an attorney but I was the management of the company dealing with the union in that case.

I think personally that train of thought is wrong and at this point unless the Hawks either pay the money or trade him there is nothing but negatives lying in the future.

Pay him the money and lets get on with the planning for the season. Now we have lost out on another big in Kwame Brown.

• Moderators
MacDaddy,

I think it's the other way around. I think ASG gave Sund full power to make deals. I think ASG is a slow running group by nature but also that they don't really have a clue about a player's worth. I feel that these guys were gung ho about resigning Smoove after the Boston series and would have done 12 per if they were sure they could be that team again. They hired Sund and I think Sund is just a hardball GM...

Catch this

The owners still own the team. It appears to me that they forced 2 gms to retain Woody. The Childress situation can't be viewed by anyone as anything but a debacle. Unless the owners are idiots they know that their reputation and fan base is hanging on what happens with Smoove. Bringing back Prince or Odom to replace the fan favorite, hometown hero, 22 year old athletic phenom who is showing no signs of slowing improvement would be Danny Manning all over again except Nique wasn't 22.

The owners may not know how to value players but if Sund walks in my office and says the Lakers and Pistons are willing to pay Smoove what he wants? well that's all the reassurance I need to pony up the dough.

The owners still own the team. It appears to me that they forced 2 gms to retain Woody. The Childress situation can't be viewed by anyone as anything but a debacle. Unless the owners are idiots they know that their reputation and fan base is hanging on what happens with Smoove. Bringing back Prince or Odom to replace the fan favorite, hometown hero, 22 year old athletic phenom who is showing no signs of slowing improvement would be Danny Manning all over again except Nique wasn't 22.

The owners may not know how to value players but if Sund walks in my office and says the Lakers and Pistons are willing to pay Smoove what he wants? well that's all the reassurance I need to pony up the dough.

All I can say is rest assured ASG will prolly bungle this too.