• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Lakers Might Be The Team Pursueing Smith

capstone21

I would. That would be a TERRIBLE deal for us. BOTH of those guys are nothing more than role players on good teams while Smith has the potential to be a star. No star, no trade.

Scola and Battier? Sounds like a "win-now" move - kind of like the Celtics were doing this time last year; except the only thing we would win is some ping-pong balls in the lotto machine with our logo on them.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...ugh

Here's the real deal we need to look at with Chicago almost in the sam position we are, and there open to trade.

Hawks trade:

Josh Smith (5yr 60mil)

Marvin Williams

Chicago trade:

Luol Deng (5yr 55mil)

Joakim Noah

Thabo Sefolosha

Our new Lineup:

Bibby/Law/Clax

Johnson/Evans

Deng/Thabo

Horford/Zaza

Noah/Morris/Jones

Im not sure if we would have to add Speedy's contract in for cap purposes because of the BYU but if so im sure thats nothing but a plus. Deng is a perfect fit next to JJ, a very good defender who can relieve pressure of JJ on D everynight. Having the class act Deng over hear bodes well for the lockeroom and chemistry.

But I like the idea of reuniting Horf with Noah as we all know they have great chemistry and success together with those florida championships, with their game developing together hopefully those wins and success translate over.

Then the addition of Thabo Sefolosha strengthens the bench from all wing areas, he's versatile, agressive, and is a great finisher much like Chillz was for us. We would still have around 3mil to add another strong big if need be.

I hope it is not for Odom. Although I like Odom's game and he would be a good fit here with his rebounding and passing, he only has one year left on his contract. I would rather Gasol plus change. Gasol and his inside game and ability to play center would work well with Horford. He and JJ and would make a nice inside outside combo. Either way if the Lakers are the west coast trading partner it will be either Gasol or Odom because they already have Bynum at Center. I guess the expectation will be Smith at SF with either Gasol or Odom at PF.

I still say that if Smith is going to be moved, my choice is Odom.

2 years ago, Suns announcer and former player, Eddie Johnson, actually compared Smith to Lamar Odom, because of Smith's ability to affect the game in so many ways. If we can actually get some sort of defensive presence from our role playing big guys, Odom is acutally a perfect fit for the Hawks. But those big guys definitely have to step up on defense, in order for Odom to work here.

You won't have to worry about Odom taking a lot of ill-advised shots, because he has a pass-first mentality anyway. That mentality actually makes people like JJ, Bibby, and Marvin even more dangerous as shooters. And it makes Horford more dangerous as a post presence, because people have to account for Lamar's ability to get to the hole and/or post up.

Odom is definitely not good enough to make us a major contender in the East. But he is good enough to pretty much ensure that we win 45+ games and make the playoffs . . and maybe win a first round matchup.

My thing with Smith, Chill, and Marvin, is that if they are/were traded, that we get back a player that's either on their level, or above.

I still say that if Smith is going to be moved, my choice is Odom.

2 years ago, Suns announcer and former player, Eddie Johnson, actually compared Smith to Lamar Odom, because of Smith's ability to affect the game in so many ways. If we can actually get some sort of defensive presence from our role playing big guys, Odom is acutally a perfect fit for the Hawks. But those big guys definitely have to step up on defense, in order for Odom to work here.

You won't have to worry about Odom taking a lot of ill-advised shots, because he has a pass-first mentality anyway. That mentality actually makes people like JJ, Bibby, and Marvin even more dangerous as shooters. And it makes Horford more dangerous as a post presence, because people have to account for Lamar's ability to get to the hole and/or post up.

Odom is definitely not good enough to make us a major contender in the East. But he is good enough to pretty much ensure that we win 45+ games and make the playoffs . . and maybe win a first round matchup.

My thing with Smith, Chill, and Marvin, is that if they are/were traded, that we get back a player that's either on their level, or above.

if your the other team, you don't have to worry about Odom stepping his game up on the offensive end.

I agree. Gasol may be somewhat "soft" inside, but putting him with a guy like Horford is an excellent combination.

Odom, no way. Talk about a soft player. Odom didn't step up at all, never has. Plus, he doesn't play inside at all any more. He would rather luanch jumpers than get down low and post up guys.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine that the Lakers would consider trading Gasol at this point. He works too well with Kobe. If they can get Bynum healthy then they have a very big PF/C combo.

Odom in 07 - 08:

44% of shots were jumpers ( eFG% of 40% )

56% of shots were on the inside ( eFG% of 65.5% )

Smith in 07 - 08:

48% of shots were jumpers ( eFG% of 30.7% )

52% of shots were on the inside ( eFG of 61.8% )

Odom did sell the Lakers out against the Celtics, with his lack of aggressiveness. Still, he averaged 13.5 ppg - 9 rebs - 3 asst - and shot 52% FG.

The big difference I see with adding Odom, especially on the offensive end, is that Odom knows that he's not the go-to-guy or the star player. He's very comfortable playing the complimentary role. If that makes a guy like JJ even more potent, I'm all for that.

Smith, I believe, wants to be "the man". He has no fear in failing in trying to reach that goal. Most of your great players had that attribute about them. The difference with Smith though, is that he doesn't have the overall offensive skill or to be "the man". So when he tries to do it, he messes up more than he makes a good play offensively.

Smith and Odom, overall, are pretty even in my book. They just bring different things to the table.

if your the other team, you don't have to worry about Odom stepping his game up on the offensive end.

That's true.

But if it makes other guys better, or gets them open looks, I'm cool with Lamar playing the complimentary role.

For example.

Let's say Lamar comes here . . . and pretty much plays like he's played with the Lakers.

14 ppg

9 rebs

4 assists

48% FG

33% 3FG

70% FT

With the Hawks, and with the personnel we have, I'd like to see Lamar either get his rebounds to around 10, or his assists around or over 5. He'll get a chance to do both things, considering our lack of big men to battle on the boards, and the shooters we have on the team in JJ, Bibby, and Marvin.

Lamar would essentially become our "glue guy", if he averaged:

13.6 ppg

10.3 rebs

5.3 asst

48% FG

33% 3FG ( with less 3-pt attempts . . . he took 113 last year . . I'd like to see that number under 90 )

70% FT

Unlike the majority of Hawksquawk, I truly believe that if you gave Marvin Williams 14 FGA per game ( like Smith did ), he could average 18 ppg or more. Marvin only averaged 11.5 shots per game last year.

And I truly believe that if Horford has an increased role in the offense, that he could average at least 14 ppg and shoot 50%+ FG. Horford's dramatic increase throughout the year in his FT%, also makes him a guy that can potentially become a major scorer, if he can draw a ton of fouls down low.

The major concern would be on the defensive end of the court. Either Lamar and/or Horford would have to become better post defenders . . . or ZaZa/Randolph/Solo or whomever, have to become rock solid defenders and defensive rebounders when on the court.

I would. That would be a TERRIBLE deal for us. BOTH of those guys are nothing more than role players on good teams while Smith has the potential to be a star. No star, no trade.

u don't get stars in sign and trades,so obviously no trade.

Unlike the majority of Hawksquawk, I truly believe that if you gave Marvin Williams 14 FGA per game ( like Smith did ), he could average 18 ppg or more. Marvin only averaged 11.5 shots per game last year.

I am not a Marvin basher, but I don't think Marvin wants 14 shots a game. He prefers to defer and be a supplementary role player, just like Odom.

I'm not sure if Horf is ready to give us 14 ppg next year or not. His offensive game is definitely a work in progress and I'm not sure that we are best served by relying on him to be a scorer at this point in his career.

The problems I have with Odom is that he is an older, slower, less explosive version of Josh Smith. Yes, he's smarter, but that doesn't compensate for all of the upside that you're trading away with Smoove.

That, plus the fact that you are likely renting Odom for a year and watching him walk. Then you have reverted back to where you were a few years ago - a team with plenty of money and no one to spend it on.

If we make this trade we are working in reverse. We drafted and developed a decent young roster (by virtue of years of losing and lotto after lotto), and right when the team appears to be making moves upwards, we blow it up. Teams with overpriced/over the hill expensive vets need to be blown up/salary dumped. Not a young team on the cusp of its collective prime.

Veto the Odom trade.

Edited by jhay610

I am not a Marvin basher, but I don't think Marvin wants 14 shots a game. He prefers to defer and be a supplementary role player, just like Odom.

I agree with everything else that you said in your post but I have to disagree here. I think that Marvin would love to be the man and the one game last year where his teammates made it a priority to get him the ball was the Seattle game and we saw what came from that. That's the only game I can remember where Josh Smith looked to pass the ball to Marvin instead of routinely keeping it from him.