• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin Back In School @ Unc & Working Out With May

Traceman

See the attached link. I ASSUMED that Marv was back at UNC this summer but this confirms it. I am glad that Marv and Big Al are pursuing their college degrees. I think it says a lot about them as individuals and it shows just what great character guys both are. Instead of getting into trouble in the off season like many young NBA players, they are using the time to improve themselves as individuals.

Glad to hear that Marv is working out in the mornings with May too. Hopefully they are working out in the weightroom as well as on the court. How can you NOT root for a guy like that?

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/07...college_degrees

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the attached link. I ASSUMED that Marv was back at UNC this summer but this confirms it. I am glad that Marv and Big Al are pursuing their college degrees. I think it says a lot about them as individuals and it shows just what great character guys both are. Instead of getting into trouble in the off season like many young NBA players, they are using the time to improve themselves as individuals.

Glad to hear that Marv is working out in the mornings with May too. Hopefully they are working out in the weightroom as well as on the court. How can you NOT root for a guy like that?

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/07...college_degrees

Given May's history of injuries, let's hope Marvin doesn't follow May's conditioning routine.

Sean May isn't going to help Marvin Williams get better. He needs to be working out with players who have made a name for theirselves in the league. He definitely won't be getting 12million next offseason.

• Premium Member
"Every summer, at least one person asks me, 'Why are you here?' " said Williams, who averaged 14.8 points and 5.7 rebounds during the Hawks' regular season. "I say, 'Why not?'

I think this is the funniest part to me. It's like everybody else can see it and he can't.

It's not like he needs 12 hours to complete an engineering degree from Ga Tech. He needs 90 hours to complete an African American studies degree.

If Marvin were at his full potential, it wouldn't be so bad. Hell, it would probably be palateable. But Marvin is just an average Sf. The reason people are asking why are you here ? is because they know that you need to be on the court working out, getting your game up, trying to improve your skills.

Let's see, he makes 5.6 Million dollars a year playing basketball. Honestly, that's more money than he could ever make in his degree (over a lifetime). The question is why is this more important than basketball?

I didn't think it would take you to long to chime in.

Where's Walter?

I almost wonder if Traceman didn't intentionally ring Diesel's bell with that article as he had to have known that the Marvin bashing would come.

Is it so difficult to understand why would he want to honor the school that gave him a full ride by going back and getting the degree that he started out to get?

I almost wonder if Traceman didn't intentionally ring Diesel's bell with that article as he had to have known that the Marvin bashing would come.

Is it so difficult to understand why would he want to honor the school that gave him a full ride by going back and getting the degree that he started out to get?

Its easy to understand-PEOPLE play basketball Diesel. They care. Marvin is trying to honor his word. Whats so wrong with that?

On Sean May, I mean...man.

I think this is the funniest part to me. It's like everybody else can see it and he can't.

It's not like he needs 12 hours to complete an engineering degree from Ga Tech. He needs 90 hours to complete an African American studies degree.

If Marvin were at his full potential, it wouldn't be so bad. Hell, it would probably be palateable. But Marvin is just an average Sf. The reason people are asking why are you here ? is because they know that you need to be on the court working out, getting your game up, trying to improve your skills.

Let's see, he makes 5.6 Million dollars a year playing basketball. Honestly, that's more money than he could ever make in his degree (over a lifetime). The question is why is this more important than basketball?

Are you f'in serious ?!

You are taking your Marvin hate affair too far. Education is more important than basketball, because he could "Shaun Livingston" himself in a game and no longer have a basketball career. Then what ?

He still has plenty of time to improve his basketball skills, and even has another NBA player to play with. The reason people are asking 'why he's there ?' is because he is a millionaire that doesn't need to get his degree, but he's such a respectable young person that he takes it upon himself to finish his education.

Are you f'in serious ?!

You are taking your Marvin hate affair too far. Education is more important than basketball, because he could "Shaun Livingston" himself in a game and no longer have a basketball career. Then what ?

He still has plenty of time to improve his basketball skills, and even has another NBA player to play with. The reason people are asking 'why he's there ?' is because he is a millionaire that doesn't need to get his degree, but he's such a respectable young person that he takes it upon himself to finish his education.

No doubt...Marvin is superb off the court Diesel. Leave it alone.

Are you f'in serious ?!

To me that's the best part. Not only belittle Marvin for going back to school, but also belittle his degree choice. I hope there's nobody here that got their degree in African American Studies since obviously that is a huge waste.

The question is why is this more important than basketball?

I think this is the funniest part to me. It's like everybody else can see it and Diesel can't.

He spends most of his life playing basketball. If he wants to further his education in his personal time, I don't understand why you have a problem with it.

Education > basketball for some people.

• Premium Member
To me that's the best part. Not only belittle Marvin for going back to school, but also belittle his degree choice. I hope there's nobody here that got their degree in African American Studies since obviously that is a huge waste.

I'd LOVE to learn Swahili.

But I'm a linguistic nerd...

Corrected

A few other players off the top of my head who spent summers in Chapel Hill working on their games, whether they were working towards graduation or not:

Michael Jordan - took classes

James Worthy - took classes

Jerry Stackhouse - took classes

Hubert Davis - probably not - graduated before NBA

George Lynch - same as Hubert

Eric Montross - same

Antawn Jamison - took classes

Sam Perkins - not sure

Brad Daugherty - not sure

JR Reid - took classes

Sheed - pretty sure no classes

...and dozens and dozens more. Many of these guys have brought friends/NBA teammates with them to add to the critical mass. Added to that are countless Duke alumni (that article mentioned Boozer and Dunleavy)and friends/teammates that live in or around the research triangle during the summer. Wake and NC State alumni too, although some of them may be sleeping as far away as 30-45 minutes.

Marvin and May are also spending some time participating in Stackhouse's summer pro-am basketball league, with other slackers such as current/former NBA players Stack, Sheed, Josh Howard, David West, May, Felton, PJ Tucker, Shammond Williams, Ronald Murray, David Noel, Ricky Clemons, Jawad Williams, Clint Deas, and Josh Powell.

The amatuers include about 50% of the current rosters from UNC and Duke, as well as some from Wake, NC State and other local programs, and even a few of the best high school prospects in the region.

While in Chapel Hill, former UNC players have access to such horrible basketball minds as Roy Williams and his staff, Dean Smith, and Bill Guthridge. Not to mention that alumni have complete access to the UNC strength and conditioning facilities and staff, which are probably better (and certainly better funded) than what the Hawks provide. Throughout the spring and summer, more unqualified basketball people are available to meet/talk/work with while they come in and out of town such as Larry Brown, Michael Jordan, George Karl, Mitch Kupchak, and Phil Ford.

The Research Triangle region is one of the world's great epicenters of the international basketball community. I'm willing to bet the only place that has as good or a better collection of talent, knowledge and experience during the offseason months is whatever spot that Team USA happens to be in at that moment.

Marvin is exactly where he should be. It's the place where he can best improve his basketball skills, physical condition, education, and prepare himself for his presnt and future in the NBA, as well as his future after basketball.

I must admit that was part of it. :D I wanted to see which part of the article he would try to twist to make it a negative (I would like to see Walt's take as well). For D, I see it was the "why are you here" part.

As for Sean May, I actually think it could be good that Marv is working out with him because May is reaching the point where he HAS to work hard or he is not going to make it back from injury. The article said that they were "pushing each other" during workouts and I think that could be a good thing.

Speaking of having to work hard, I saw Jamaal Tinsley working out in the gym yesterday afternoon. He was doing some weight/fitness training and he looked as fit as I've seen him since he's been in the league. Maybe he's finally growing up and getting his priorities straight. I could see him having a good year if he keeps it up.