• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Chill Will Be On 8:20am

Brotha2ThaNite

1. Chills got a decent offer from the Hawks but turned it down and was told to look for better offers.

2. Chills said he found 2 better offers from championship caliber teams but Hawks refused to match them (or sign and trade BUT the words sign and trade never came out of his mouth).

3. Then Chillz said he was ready to settle for the $33 mill deal BUT the Hawks said he could not sign it yet. That it would be a hand shake agreement until they decide what to do with the Josh Smith and sign another FA.

4. At that point Chillz went to Greece to find the offer he settled with.

He seemed upset with 2 things:

1. The way Atlanta dragged their feet in the negotiations. He said Atlanta is allowed to make business decision (in terms of making him wait to sign the contract until after a decision on Smoove is made which could be a long time.) Yet, when the individual, Chillz in this case, makes a business decision they are viewed as selfish. He said he was troubled by that.

2. He also says that every individual wants the chance to better themself and went on to say that his role was established in Atlanta with chance for starting. He was asked if was every told he could not start over Marvin. He said over the years tyhat message was communicated without actually having to say it. The whole actions speak louder then words spill.

He was also was asked what his "gut" told him with Smith coming back. After a long pause he very hesitantly said "yes" Smoove would be back but was quick to add that their is real chance he would NOT come back b/c Smith is upset about the same thing he was upset with. Meaning the extremely slow negotiations process that leads one to feel that there is a lack of respect there.

Who are the teams that wanted him? The Suns seem like a championship caliber team where he may fit. I wonder if they were offering Barbosa as posted here elsewhere. I would have preferred getting a player like him versus getting nothing. Who are the other candidates?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's like an engineer never going to the job site to check it out in person. You immediately lose all credibility when someone asks you if you've personally been to the site and you respond 'no.'

That's pretty weak, to never meet with your two RFAs that were supposedly top proirity. :Shame On You:

1) not meeting with chill

2) not signing chill when he accepted the 5/33 (a bargain!)

i hate sund

Thanks for the summary.

I thought BK was bad (and still do), but Sund is up to at least strike two now (strike one being retaining Woody).

This is frustrating.

go out find offer from 2 contenders, much better offers...that kinda sets the table...should set it in normal negotiations...team should match...atl offers 5/33...unwilling to match those offers...

But i thought Atlanta's offer was higher than anyone else's. Hmmm

Sund never even met Childress and made an offer that Childress wasn't allowed to sign. That is f'd up.

What happened to the interviews Sund allegedly made with the players when he was debating whether or not to resign Woody? I guess Childress wasn't on the interview list for some reason.

Edited by exodus

I have a hard time believing Childress completely when he tells fibs like "got offered much more lucrative contracts by 2 championship-caliber teams in snt deals; i woulda been in starting role; when i say much more lucrative i mean a lot more".

A lot more? No way. Furthermore did he expect us to take whatever trash these contenders were offering? The Hawks aren't a concierge service for his every desire. If it comes down to overpaid scraps in return for Childress or Childress walking I prefer the latter. Same with a $7 Chill vs. a $2.5 Evans.

He does come off as a spoiled brat:

-They didn't make him first priority when he clearly not the best of the two Joshes. He should have realized this.

-They didn't want to make him a starter. Well, from what I remember, in the few games he has started in his career he wasn't that good in them.

It appears that he things he is all that and a bag of chips. While I can understand alot of what he is saying, he should realize that he is not as good as he seems to think he is.

• Premium Member
He does come off as a spoiled brat:

-They didn't make him first priority when he clearly not the best of the two Joshes. He should have realized this.

-They didn't want to make him a starter. Well, from what I remember, in the few games he has started in his career he wasn't that good in them.

It appears that he things he is all that and a bag of chips. While I can understand alot of what he is saying, he should realize that he is not as good as he seems to think he is.

In the situation we are in now, it would not have mattered one bit which Josh you signed first. I mean, if he agreed to a 5 year 33 Million dollar deal, does it matter if you signed him before or after Smoove? No... We are over the cap either way. That's why it's so stupid. The claim going into this offseason was our top priority is to resign the Joshes. It's stated that way because they knew that our salary would not allow us to do much more than resign both Joshes.

Moreover, on the starter note...

Marvin is not doing a bang up job as starter either. I mean, you guys act as though Chillz was on the bench behind Scottie Pippen. Most games, Chillz has a much bigger impact than Marvin. Marvin can't score without JJ. Most of the points that you see for Marvin, you should give those to JJ because Marvin does nothing on the court. CHillz on the other hand, plays a lot without JJ. He scores, he does what he needs to do. Woody has miscoached and misused his players and it's probably to fulfill BK's agenda.

"i never met rick sund, or his a** gm...i talked to them on the phone...i talked to gearon a lot...i have not talked to coach"

All of what Childress said is damning evidence vs the ASG/Sund team. I take the above line to be prime evidence that Gearon does see himself as the defacto GM. Sund is there to to make recommendations and handle the day-to-days, but Gearon is the real power in terms of basketball decissions. GM JR has just shown his true colors and they are not good.

I find it incredulous that Sund didn't even workout having a face to face with Childress, especially after Sund said he wanted to sit down and meet the players.

In the situation we are in now, it would not have mattered one bit which Josh you signed first. I mean, if he agreed to a 5 year 33 Million dollar deal, does it matter if you signed him before or after Smoove? No... We are over the cap either way. That's why it's so stupid. The claim going into this offseason was our top priority is to resign the Joshes. It's stated that way because they knew that our salary would not allow us to do much more than resign both Joshes.

Moreover, on the starter note...

Marvin is not doing a bang up job as starter either. I mean, you guys act as though Chillz was on the bench behind Scottie Pippen. Most games, Chillz has a much bigger impact than Marvin. Marvin can't score without JJ. Most of the points that you see for Marvin, you should give those to JJ because Marvin does nothing on the court. CHillz on the other hand, plays a lot without JJ. He scores, he does what he needs to do. Woody has miscoached and misused his players and it's probably to fulfill BK's agenda.

I listened to the entire interview and Chillz NEVER said they agreed to the 33 million deal. He said they offered it and he wasn't happy with it and the Hawks told him to go find a better deal. He said 2 championship teams offered much better deal in snt proposals but the Hawks never matched the better offer and didn't pursue the deals. .

3. Then Chillz said he was ready to settle for the $33 mill deal BUT the Hawks said he could not sign it yet. That it would be a hand shake agreement until they decide what to do with the Josh Smith and sign another FA.

This tells me that the money issue is what the whole thing was about because despite not starting, Sund allegedly not meeting him (who did Sund meet with in Washington and why was Childress not there?) , etc., he was still willing to sign the deal but wasn't willing to trust the team to honor it's handshake agreement while it got the bigger contract done first.

I'd love to know who these teams were that allegedly were offering much more money than the Hawks because Phoenix is the only team we have heard about in regard to a SnT and they said that Childress' asking price was far too high.

• Premium Member
I listened to the entire interview and Chillz NEVER said they agreed to the 33 million deal. He said they offered it and he wasn't happy with it and the Hawks told him to go find a better deal. He said 2 championship teams offered much better deal in snt proposals but the Hawks never matched the better offer and didn't pursue the deals. .

He said something to the effect

.atl offers 5/33...unwilling to match those offers...so i'm in a situation where because they have the power, i can't do anything about it...so even through that, i'm sitting there like, you know what, this is a lot of money, let's get something done...then i'm told, you have to wait...we have to wait and see what we have to do with signing josh and getting another FA.

That to me suggests that if we had moved on it, he would have signed. He wouldn't have been as happy as he would have with a "championship calibre (Suns & Cavs) team, but he would have signed it.

• Premium Member

I'm sorry, but none of this matters to me.

We've known for months that Smith was top priority, we've known for over a year that Childress wanted to start, and we've known for a while that there wouldn't be any teams with the ability and desire to give him an offer sheet over the MLE. Sund was clearly trying to get Childress to sign an MLE offer sheet with another team, or to have another team offer a GOOD sign-and-trade for him.

To me, this remains a silly, "he said, she said" argument. Childress just needs to move on. He should be congratulated for finding a temporary way around RFA (although it cost him as well), but he needs to move on.

The only reporting I want to hear from this point on is about any proposed S&T's. That's all that matters to me as a Hawks' fan.

• Premium Member
This tells me that the money issue is what the whole thing was about because despite not starting, Sund allegedly not meeting him (who did Sund meet with in Washington and why was Childress not there?) , etc., he was still willing to sign the deal but wasn't willing to trust the team to honor it's handshake agreement while it got the bigger contract done first.

I'd love to know who these teams were that allegedly were offering much more money than the Hawks because Phoenix is the only team we have heard about in regard to a SnT and they said that Childress' asking price was far too high.

I don't see how you got that? He was willing to sign for our lowball offer.

What it was about was disrespect. Do you think it's just by happenstance that he remembers that he never met face to face with Sund or his A. GM? Do you think it's a coincidence that he loaded up the plane to Greece after we told him to wait. Do you think it's mere coincidence that he recalled the first lowball offer and being told to go out and find a deal (which is really not his job). You see Dol, these are respect issues.

If we respected him and treated him like a top priority... Even if we low balled him at 5/33... had we done it by wining and dining him and treating him with respect, he would have signed and smiled at the signing. It's respect with Smoove too. How do you think Smoove feels knowing that he went to Philly, was wined and dine, met the freaking Mayor of Philly and has to come back to a bunch of arrogant pricks trying to low ball him?? And prolly not even meeting him face to face.

I wish that Philly would have offered that 12 Million dollar frontloaded contract to Smoove. At least that way, Something would have been done!!

We've known for months that Smith was top priority,

and Smith remains unsigned. If Sekou is to be believed the two sides aren't even talking even though several other RFAs have signed and set the market for Smith very clearly.

I don't see how you got that? He was willing to sign for our lowball offer.

What it was about was disrespect. Do you think it's just by happenstance that he remembers that he never met face to face with Sund or his A. GM? Do you think it's a coincidence that he loaded up the plane to Greece after we told him to wait. Do you think it's mere coincidence that he recalled the first lowball offer and being told to go out and find a deal (which is really not his job). You see Dol, these are respect issues.

If we respected him and treated him like a top priority... Even if we low balled him at 5/33... had we done it by wining and dining him and treating him with respect, he would have signed and smiled at the signing. It's respect with Smoove too. How do you think Smoove feels knowing that he went to Philly, was wined and dine, met the freaking Mayor of Philly and has to come back to a bunch of arrogant pricks trying to low ball him?? And prolly not even meeting him face to face.

I wish that Philly would have offered that 12 Million dollar frontloaded contract to Smoove. At least that way, Something would have been done!!

The money is the real issue because despite all of his other complaints he was willing to come back, but he showed his immaturity by not understanding the bigger picture and trusting the handshake deal that Sund offered him.

Our low ball offer that he says he realized "IS A LOT OF MONEY"? Is that the "low ball" offer you are referring to?

I believe that if he didn't meet face to face with Sund that it's his fault and/or his agents fault because Sund flew to Washington to meet with Childress' agents. Why wasn't Childress there? Do you think Sund told Childress he couldn't be there? Childress himself wasn't told to go out and find a better offer, his agents were. That's just smart business and quite common for RFA's. That IS his agents job.

Do you realize that he was NEVER our top priority? Are you suggesting that we fool him by making him think that he was? Josh Smith was/is/will be our top priority this offseason. Childress is replaceable, Josh Smith is not.

How do you think Smith feels that he went through that whole dog and pony show in Philly only to be considered 2nd fiddle to Elton Brand? In Atlanta he remains 1st fiddle for us this offseason and if both sides would bend a little I'm sure that a deal would have been done long ago.

I too wish that Philly (or somebody) would have offered Smith a deal.

...he was still willing to sign the deal but wasn't willing to trust the team to honor it's handshake agreement while it got the bigger contract done first....

I really think this must've also been a key issue although the 790 crew didn't follow up on that line of questioning. If Chillz agent were to tell him "don't worry...the ASG will honor their non-binding offer after they sign Smoove and a F/A or two" he wouldn't be doing his job.

There would be nothing to prevent ASG/Sund from coming back after the other signings and saying something like "the other signings cost us more than we thought they would and we had to do what's best to make the team better...so we're cutting your offer by $X to fit everything together". And by that time he would likely be screwed.

There was an atmosphere of lack of trust that premeated the whole interview.

That said...If we get JS signed I think we can still be competitive next year

...To me, this remains a silly, "he said, she said" argument. Childress just needs to move on...

I think he HAS moved on (halfway around the world). My guess is that Chillz wasn't all that excited about doing the interview(s)...but the press is insatiable about these things. Chillz laid out his answers very matter-of-factly. He was calm at all times and didn't resort to name calling or anything.

By the way...he said the Maid Service thing was just made up and didn't influence his decision. Apparentyl he has maid service here in Atlanta too.

• Premium Member

We've known for months that Smith was top priority, we've known for over a year that Childress wanted to start, and we've known for a while that there wouldn't be any teams with the ability and desire to give him an offer sheet over the MLE. Sund was clearly trying to get Childress to sign an MLE offer sheet with another team, or to have another team offer a GOOD sign-and-trade for him.

To me, this remains a silly, "he said, she said" argument. Childress just needs to move on. He should be congratulated for finding a temporary way around RFA (although it cost him as well), but he needs to move on.

The only reporting I want to hear from this point on is about any proposed S&T's. That's all that matters to me as a Hawks' fan.

Actually, Childress does have a right to present his side of the story to protect his reputations.

Come on off the company van.

The first thing that ASG/Sund floated was that Chillz was a money grubbing utility player. I think Chillz set the record straight and cleared up any lies that have been told (such as Childress would have been the 4th highest paid player because we offered him more than the MLE).

MrH., it's easy for you to say move on because it's not your name and reputation being drug through the mud.. however, I believe that Childress is thinking about next offseason and beyond. What Chillz has done is the equivalent of a QO except the Hawks don't get the benefit of taking advantage of him. Chillz knows that next offseason will certainly come and he wants to make sure that he has an optimum bargaining position with other teams.