• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why Overpay For Smoove...

Buzzard

You mean other than you and 14 saying he posted up rather frequently?

i just said he posted up regularly. which he did. and that in his first few years he didn't post up at all. i even said i think we should have done more of it. but you can only run the plays the coach calls. JJ iso, JJ and whoever pick and pop. point is, he now has a post game that can be developed. he's adding pieces to his game, which at 22, he should be doing. the thing is, with his pieces so under developed, he's still able to be very effective on the court.

look at it this way.

a player with limited ball handling skills (i don't think they're as bad as some think they are and they are improving),

limited post game (which is growing),

bad BBIQ (at 22, my decision making skills were not as good as it was/is 5 years later),

a jump shot that, to say the least is not that good (it has gone from "is he shooting with his eyes closed", to close your eyes when he shoots, to he probably could have gotten a better shot),

mike woodson as his coach,

and he is still good player in the NBA at 22.

give him time to develop. its not like he's keeping us from winning a championship. but, in 4 years he could be the reason we win one.

Edited by foeteen14

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only you're theoretical shooting match could occur, then your point would be proven, huh ex?

Until then, not many people are going to get it.

The only point that needs to be made here is Smoove shot 26% from the three point line. Name me one starter in the NBA that is a good jump shooter who is worse than 26%...

If only you're theoretical shooting match could occur, then your point would be proven, huh ex?

Until then, not many people are going to get it.

I don't need a shooting match to prove anything. Smith is one of the worst jump shooters in the NBA.

He shot 25.3% from 3 which puts him near the bottom of the league among players who have taken at least 50 threes.

http://www.82games.com/FGSORT2.HTM

Smith shot 29% on his 2 point jumpers which again is right near the bottom of the league.

http://www.82games.com/FGSORT7.HTM

Smith sucks as a shooter. It isn't even debatable. He has no business taking long jumpers until he can show that he can actually make them from 10-15 feet.

Boozer is a far better jump shooter than Smith. He shot 44.8% on his 2 pt jumpers. But he Boozer has taken only 9 three pointers IN HIS CAREER.

I don't need a shooting match to prove anything. Smith is one of the worst jump shooters in the NBA.

He shot 25.3% from 3 which puts him near the bottom of the league among players who have taken at least 50 threes.

Smith shot 29% on his 2 point jumpers which again is right near the bottom of the league.

Smith sucks as a shooter. It isn't even debatable. He has no business taking long jumpers until he can show that he can actually make them from 10-15 feet.

Boozer is a far better jump shooter than Smith. He shot 44.8% on his 2 pt jumpers. But he Boozer has taken only 9 three pointers IN HIS CAREER.

Great post. I am actually starting to agree with you....Smoove needs to work on his midrange game. He gets that plus the ability to post someone up consistently he would be an all-star. Unstoppable, I beleive is what the anouncers said during our playoff series with the Celtics...

The only point that needs to be made here is Smoove shot 26% from the three point line. Name me one starter in the NBA that is a good jump shooter who is worse than 26%...

Tinsley, Felton, Wade, Marion, Ford, Green, McGrady all shoot well below 30% on threes and average roughly 45% jump shooting.

Ex, I take your point here man. I know Smoove ain't Ray Allen. However, sometimes stats don't tell the whole story. Smoove hit clutch shots a good deal and took completely random ones in the middle of games to sort of throw off his stats so to speak.

So, point taken, but not completely accurate.

Tinsley, Felton, Wade, Marion, Ford, Green, McGrady all shoot well below 30% on threes

and they are all far better shooters than Smith. They all shot at least 9% better than Smith on 2 pt shots.

McGrady is a career 33.7% shooter from 3 which isn't good but still way better than Smith. Not to mention he was fighting injuries all season and missed at least 20 games.

Wade rarely shoots 3 and has been battling injuries for the last two years.

Marion shot 33% from 3 this past season and is a career 34% shooter from 3.

Felton is a weak shooter but he is still at 32.7% shooter from 3 for his career.

Tinsley just can't shoot.

The most important point though is that none of these guys is a 6'9" power forward with a 40" vertical.

Edited by exodus

Ex, I take your point here man. I know Smoove ain't Ray Allen. However, sometimes stats don't tell the whole story. Smoove hit clutch shots a good deal and took completely random ones in the middle of games to sort of throw off his stats so to speak.

So, point taken, but not completely accurate.

Missed shots are not a lot different than a turn over. Yes, we may get the offensive board; but more times than not a bad shot just gives the ball right back to our opponent. This is why coaches go crazy over a bad shot. Did you see Doc pulling Cassell during our series? Cassell is a former all-star; but you better believe Doc had him on a short leash for every playoff game.

I guarantee if Smoove would have been on that Celtics team he would be riding the pine within a minute after he shot a three...

I think we should do whatever it takes to get Smith theres no doubt he's improving and he's only 22. As he matures and get more intelligent on the floor he could be even more of a killer than he is already. He has a great skill set and can do it all.( Not to mention he's the hometown hero)

They are leaving out a lot of guys. If you want to just look at scoring among 4s Smith is 9th.

click

Obviously that is still very good for a 22 year old.

In terms of rebounding among 4s he is 10th.

click

Of course both links are totals and not per minute stats.

Looking at Hollingers PER Smith was 11th in the league among 4s. No doubt his shooting percentage cost him here.

Boozer

Duncan

Jefferson

Randolph

Dirk

West

Brand

Those are some of the PFs that were left off the list. What gives with that list ?

Duncan and Jefferson were pretty much exclusively centers this year unless you think FabO and Ryan Gomes are more center-ish respectively. The other guys yeah, those are legit PFs. Brand played like 7 games...

They are leaving out a lot of guys. If you want to just look at scoring among 4s Smith is 9th.

click

Obviously that is still very good for a 22 year old.

In terms of rebounding among 4s he is 10th.

click

Of course both links are totals and not per minute stats.

Looking at Hollingers PER Smith was 11th in the league among 4s. No doubt his shooting percentage cost him here.

Ok. So the yahoo stats site is garbage. Top 10 is still way above average though.

Missed shots are not a lot different than a turn over. Yes, we may get the offensive board; but more times than not a bad shot just gives the ball right back to our opponent. This is why coaches go crazy over a bad shot.

Missed shots are at least somewhat different from a TO because a) there is always a chance the shot goes in b) there is a chance for a board and c) it is much more difficult to transition effectively off a missed shot than a TO. I get your point though.

Did you see Doc pulling Cassell during our series? Cassell is a former all-star; but you better believe Doc had him on a short leash for every playoff game.

I guarantee if Smoove would have been on that Celtics team he would be riding the pine within a minute after he shot a three...

I wouldn't count on it. Cassell is not 6'9" with a 40" vert smearing fast break lay-ins and KG postups all over the glass. If Cassell is not hitting shots he is a liability on the floor. Smooth can still make a positive imprint on a game even when his shot is off.

Edited by jhay610