• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

New Hawk Evans Hopes Smith Is Still Around

GTfan44

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...sign_evans.html

Some very interesting quotes:

"One of the things that I think is important in the process is to have the integrity and professionalism to not negotiate in the newspapers," Hawks general manager Rick Sund said. "I said that in the beginning to Josh Smith's [representatives] and they haven't said a whole lot. They've done an excellent job representing their client. The bottom line is we've had a lot of dialogue, but it's not done yet."

"We don't feel like there has been much difference in our conversations from July 1 until now," Wallace Prather said Thursday. "But I'm optimistic that in the end what is best for Josh is what will happen."

^^Smith's agent

Evans is right on the mark with this quote...

"Obviously, it's important when you go to the playoffs and hadn't been in a long time, you probably don't want to shake things up too much," Evans said. "In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes teams make is when you're having success and then you try to bring in different pieces that might upgrade your situation and you end up downgrading it. And now you've set yourself back. You can't afford to take those steps back."

I hope Sund and the ASG were listening! Get Josh Smith signed now! :angry:

Evans is right on the mark with this quote...

"Obviously, it's important when you go to the playoffs and hadn't been in a long time, you probably don't want to shake things up too much," Evans said. "In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes teams make is when you're having success and then you try to bring in different pieces that might upgrade your situation and you end up downgrading it. And now you've set yourself back. You can't afford to take those steps back."

I hope Sund and the ASG were listening! Get Josh Smith signed now! :angry:

Lol if you read that quote closely...Is Evans saying he's one of the "different pieces" that may potentially "downgrade" the situation?

Read closely.

haha :temperature:

In the end I think they will pay Smoove. In truth - Sund is right in that there is no big hurry - unless you worry about p!ss!ng JS off. Sund/ASG should allow a week or so of wind-down time (from the JC debacle) and then make JS a quality offer and then split the difference and get him signed.

I dunno - as much as I hate the way the Chillz situation went - we didn't really get "nothing for him" we got Evans and Morris for less money. Who knows - if Sund were in charge when they did the JJ SnT with Phoenix we may have had a 1st round draft pick this year. The Hawks always seem to be in the "Perfect Storm"...damned if you do and damned if you don't. In reality I think the Hawks' main problems have been in talent evaluation in the draft. While Sund has certainly looked bad early in his stint here - BK is really the architect of this mess. It all goes back to the drafting at 2/5/6...and the lucky pick of JS late in the 1st round. Draft mistakes are expected occasionally - but you can't just pile one on top of the other and expect to be successful.

2/5/6 Picks:

2. Marvin - hope he improves this year and shows he can be a really solid player, but there are no two ways about it - we'd have been better off with Paul or Deron....5. Shelden - reactionary NBA ready pick that was wasted....6. Chillz - good player (except for his "non jumper") who is now in Greece. We also could have had Milsap (who many of us wanted) in the second round but the Jazz got him later. BK went for "dream picks" IMO in the second round - Salim and Solo being good examples - and the one decent 2nd rounder we got who has staying power is Ivey - who has just recently gotten another NBA contract...elsewhere.

Edited by DJlaysitup

he made some mature and positive comments, which the Hawks need right now. They said on the radio that they have a press conference tomorrow to announce the Morris signing. They raised the question of why do you need a press conference to anounce him . . . . and it's obvious, they need all the positive press they can get right now,.

Yeah I think they will eventually sign him 2, after they get Evans and morris outta the way . Both sides need to come to an agreement on a reasonable price. So I don't have to check everyday to see if he was signed or not lol. At least we know Evans would love to play with him...

he made some mature and positive comments, which the Hawks need right now. They said on the radio that they have a press conference tomorrow to announce the Morris signing. They raised the question of why do you need a press conference to anounce him . . . . and it's obvious, they need all the positive press they can get right now,.

Agreed Doc...they need some + press. Really I don't konw much about Morris (whether he has any kind of post ability)...I guess AHF would know. But really, I can't see him as much more than this year's Lo Wright.

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...sign_evans.html

Some very interesting quotes:

"One of the things that I think is important in the process is to have the integrity and professionalism to not negotiate in the newspapers," Hawks general manager Rick Sund said. "I said that in the beginning to Josh Smith's [representatives] and they haven't said a whole lot. They've done an excellent job representing their client. The bottom line is we've had a lot of dialogue, but it's not done yet."

"We don't feel like there has been much difference in our conversations from July 1 until now," Wallace Prather said Thursday. "But I'm optimistic that in the end what is best for Josh is what will happen."

^^Smith's agent

I really like the Evans signing. I wanted Roger Mason but Evans might make more sense now that Childress is gone.

I don't necessarily think the Evans signing moves the ball forward for the Hawks given the loss of Childress, but it was a very good band aid that at least stopped the bleeding.

Yeah, Smith's game has a lot of flaws but the bottom line is that his teamates know that he impacts the game in HUGE ways. Thats why Joe came out and said that resigning was the only important thing to get done this summer. Thats why Al said that he feels comfortable on the court when he knows that Josh Smith has his back, that they work together really well, that he wants him back. Its why the first thing Evans comments on when he becomes a Hawks is that he hopes management can get Smith back.

Don't read into little things you think you percieve over the course of the year. None of these guys want to start the season w/out JSmith.