• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why No Threes

DJlaysitup

Here's what I can't figure out about Marvin - and maybe it's about Woody. Why wouldn't a fella who is 6'9"-225 LBS who has a good rotation on his shot NOT shoot threes? I guess it was always just an annoyance with me before - but without Chillz to be on the floor at the end of the game I can't help but wonder that we couldn't use that weapon from our SF?

It simply doesn't make sense.

There is almost no possible way IMO that a guy who can shoot 15-18 footers for a solid %age can't shoot threes for around 32% at least. You tack on the fact that you get an extra point and you get 32 + 16...an effective shooting %age of 48%....48% will keep you in most games....wtf?

Is Woody so set in his (losing) ways tha he won't allow any deviance from his plan? Is Marvin so much of a team guy (or subserviant by nature) that he won't ever shoot them or even practice them? It makes no sense to me. A quality team needs a starting SF who can shoot a three when it's open.

I'm clueless on this deal. :rolleyes:

Here's what I can't figure out about Marvin - and maybe it's about Woody. Why wouldn't a fella who is 6'9"-225 LBS who has a good rotation on his shot NOT shoot threes? I guess it was always just an annoyance with me before - but without Chillz to be on the floor at the end of the game I can't help but wonder that we couldn't use that weapon from our SF?

It simply doesn't make sense.

There is almost no possible way IMO that a guy who can shoot 15-18 footers for a solid %age can't shoot threes for around 32% at least. You tack on the fact that you get an extra point and you get 32 + 16...an effective shooting %age of 48%....48% will keep you in most games....wtf?

Is Woody so set in his (losing) ways tha he won't allow any deviance from his plan? Is Marvin so much of a team guy (or subserviant by nature) that he won't ever shoot them or even practice them? It makes no sense to me. A quality team needs a starting SF who can shoot a three when it's open.

I'm clueless on this deal. :rolleyes:

I expect this to change this year. Marvin can hit threes.

Funny you mention that. Josh Childress turned down a lot of WIDE open 3s so he could drive into a crowded lane. Wasn't Mike Woodson coached by the infamous Bobby Knight ? I remember seeing on ESPN how Bobby Knight doesn't like for his players to take 3s.

I think so too...I hope you are right. But I'm from Missouri...show me.

haha

i think marv has it in him.Theres a marv highlight vid from i think his rookie season,where he hit a couple threes,but nothing more since then.I think he can be a good 3pt shooter though because he has a nice shot,and it would only make him better.

Edited by falconfrenzy

Wow that was too funny

Marvin needs to be confident in himself. When he's confident he can be a terror. When he's not he moves his legs up on his jumpshot, looks confused. Just looks lost.

I could of sworn that I've read a topic about Marvin shooting threes about two or three times now. Maybe it's just me or I've read it somewhere else. I can't find the other topic though (also, on a side note, Dolfan- that's what vBulletin has that IPB doesn't... a reliable search engine)

Anyways, Marvin Williams still has a ways to go to improve his three point shot. I don't see why he can't, but he's got to be willing to work on it. Also, a stat that I remember reading about from one of the topics that I mentioned before about this same topic: he only shot eleven times outside the perimeter last season, and he only made one of them.

...Anyways, Marvin Williams still has a ways to go to improve his three point shot. I don't see why he can't, but he's got to be willing to work on it. Also, a stat that I remember reading about from one of the topics that I mentioned before about this same topic: he only shot eleven times outside the perimeter last season, and he only made one of them.

Well that would make sense - since Diesel said he only made 1 (that is ONE) three pointer all last year. I didn't see him even make one....but I will defer to D's knowledge in this regard.

So what is up?..........more importantly is.....is this guy a player?

Edited by DJlaysitup

Well that would make sense - since Diesel said he only made 1 (that is ONE) three pointer all last year. I didn't see him even make one....but I will defer to D's knowledge in this regard.

So what is up?..........more importantly is.....is this guy a player?

thats because the one he made was a rushed buzzer beater,remember?It was like a running start and from a little past half court right before halftime.I remember that shot lol

Marvin won't be an above average sf until he becomes a threat from 3. Simple as that.

sorry, that's not true, at all. there are plenty of sf's who aren't a real threat from the 3 point line that are fine. luo deng, richard jefferson, josh howard are some examples. and king james can't shoot for $hit... they just seem to be threats because they take these bad shots.

all those SF's are decent with lebron being dominate but none shot good from behind the 3pt line.

people just always want Marvin to step OUTSIDE his game, while Smoove should be reeled in... doesn't really make since to me. and people will say, Marvin shoots a good 10% below those examples but his small sampling is not a good basis for stats. plus, i'm sure with him not even being a 3 pt shooter, his few attempts were probably all rushed or with the shoot clock running down or bell out shots.

i think more than focusing on 3's, Marvin should focus on his ball handling and finishing at the rim. the mid range shot will suffice

but this is just my opinion

Edited by PlayaPat420

We all KNOW that he can hit those 3 pointers!

Why? Because we have watched as he has taken AND hit a lot of two point shots

with his foot on the 3 point line. That's a two. If anyone, including Marvin, can hit

those "almost" three point shots, there is no reason to believe he cant hit if he's

just 6" further back.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

sorry, that's not true, at all. there are plenty of sf's who aren't a real threat from the 3 point line that are fine. luo deng, richard jefferson, josh howard are some examples. and king james can't shoot for $hit...

Those guys don't trip over their own shoelaces. If Marvin wasn't so clumsy and weak at finishing inside then he could get away with not shooting 3s.

Edited by exodus