• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why No Threes

DJlaysitup

Funny you mention that. Josh Childress turned down a lot of WIDE open 3s so he could drive into a crowded lane. Wasn't Mike Woodson coached by the infamous Bobby Knight ? I remember seeing on ESPN how Bobby Knight doesn't like for his players to take 3s.

Childress also made a few from the corner and i'll take that and his ugly jumpshot over Marvin.

sorry, that's not true, at all. there are plenty of sf's who aren't a real threat from the 3 point line that are fine. luo deng, richard jefferson, josh howard are some examples. and king james can't shoot for $hit... they just seem to be threats because they take these bad shots.

all those SF's are decent with lebron being dominate but none shot good from behind the 3pt line.

people just always want Marvin to step OUTSIDE his game, while Smoove should be reeled in... doesn't really make since to me. and people will say, Marvin shoots a good 10% below those examples but his small sampling is not a good basis for stats. plus, i'm sure with him not even being a 3 pt shooter, his few attempts were probably all rushed or with the shoot clock running down or bell out shots.

i think more than focusing on 3's, Marvin should focus on his ball handling and finishing at the rim. the mid range shot will suffice

but this is just my opinion

I don't think he HAS to become a 3 pt shooter to become an above average SF but I do think it would make him a better player if he could add a 3 point shot to his arsenal. Last year, it seemed to me as if he made a conscious effort to concentrate on becoming more consistent from midrange and I think it worked. His midrange shot was CLEARLY more consistent than it was his first two years in the league. I could be wrong but I strongly suspect that a coach (or coaches) told him to focus on his midrange shot so that he could get it grooved to the point that it was virtually automatic. If that is indeed the case, I like the stategy and I wish Smoove would try the same approach.

I would like to see Marv add more range but only if he can do so while continuing to knock down a high percentage of midrange J's. If the 3 point shooting messes up his rhythm, I think he would be better off staying away from the 3 point line for now and working on improving the other aspects of his game (driving and finishing, creating his own shot off the dribble, driving and dishing, etc).

At some point, I think he will add the 3 point shot to his arsenal. I HOPE it is this year but if the coaching staff feels that he is not ready yet, I have no problem with that. I would MUCH rather he not shoot the 3 if he is going to shoot them like Smoove does that is for sure.

Childress also made a few from the corner and i'll take that and his ugly jumpshot over Marvin.

Give me a break. Comparing Marvin and Chillz as shooters is ridiculous. Marvin made over 200 shots that were not dunks or layups. Chillz made 35. If Marvin waited until he was as wide open as Chillz is before he took a jump shot, there is not telling how good his shooting percentage would be.

I think it would be fine if a) Marv were more of point forward or had a post game so you could actually run the offense through him or b) he was nailing around 47% of those midrange Js like Hamilton instead of 41%. Ray Allen shoots 41% on his 2pt. jumpers but he also nails about 40% of his 3s and takes a boatload of them which makes him so much more deadly than Marv because he can take a step back and get a full extra point with almost the same efficiency.

Those guys don't trip over their own shoelaces. If Marvin wasn't so clumsy and weak at finishing inside then he could get away with not shooting 3s.

I don't know if he's that weak finishing inside. I mean, I'm no Marvin apologist, but he did average a decent amount of free throw attempts right?

He gets FTs but doesn't convert his layups at a particularly high %.

Yeah, that goes back to the apparent clumsiness I suppose. Doesn't have very good body control when he's driving. Did you ever notice how he walks as if he has a bad back? Kinda sticks his chest out in the front and his butt out in the back. Like an old woman almost.

I remember reading this Simmons article about the NBA draft or something, and he remarked that anytime he sees NBA players in person, he notices how they walk and their posture. His theory was that you could tell how good the player was going to be just by their walk. Lebron's huge but still walks with ease and grace. He said Greg Oden, on the other hand, walked like an old man already. As if to say his body wouldn't hold up to the rigours of the NBA. It went something like that anyway. That's the feeling I get just watching Marvin walk around. He makes it look difficult.

Yeah, that goes back to the apparent clumsiness I suppose. Doesn't have very good body control when he's driving. Did you ever notice how he walks as if he has a bad back? Kinda sticks his chest out in the front and his butt out in the back. Like an old woman almost.

I remember reading this Simmons article about the NBA draft or something, and he remarked that anytime he sees NBA players in person, he notices how they walk and their posture. His theory was that you could tell how good the player was going to be just by their walk. Lebron's huge but still walks with ease and grace. He said Greg Oden, on the other hand, walked like an old man already. As if to say his body wouldn't hold up to the rigours of the NBA. It went something like that anyway. That's the feeling I get just watching Marvin walk around. He makes it look difficult.

Heh, yeah is awkward. Nique had that funny pigeon-toed thing too and he was coordinated has hell though so, like most of Simmons' theories, I don't buy that.

I think it would be fine if a) Marv were more of point forward or had a post game so you could actually run the offense through him or b) he was nailing around 47% of those midrange Js like Hamilton instead of 41%....

If wishes were horses...beggars would ride. If wishes were pocketwatches...I'd wear one by my side.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts....we'd all have a very good Christmas!

sorry, that's not true, at all. there are plenty of sf's who aren't a real threat from the 3 point line that are fine. luo deng, richard jefferson, josh howard are some examples. and king james can't shoot for $hit... they just seem to be threats because they take these bad shots.

all those SF's are decent with lebron being dominate but none shot good from behind the 3pt line.

people just always want Marvin to step OUTSIDE his game, while Smoove should be reeled in... doesn't really make since to me. and people will say, Marvin shoots a good 10% below those examples but his small sampling is not a good basis for stats. plus, i'm sure with him not even being a 3 pt shooter, his few attempts were probably all rushed or with the shoot clock running down or bell out shots.

i think more than focusing on 3's, Marvin should focus on his ball handling and finishing at the rim. the mid range shot will suffice

but this is just my opinion

Very sensible.

I'd still like to see him at least threaten to shoot 3s, though.

Give me a break. Comparing Marvin and Chillz as shooters is ridiculous. Marvin made over 200 shots that were not dunks or layups. Chillz made 35. If Marvin waited until he was as wide open as Chillz is before he took a jump shot, there is not telling how good his shooting percentage would be.

Haha.