• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Great Article I Found That Compares Player Ratings

Admin

http://www.countthebasket.com/blog/2008/05...player-ratings/

Definitely an interesting read, especially for you stat geeks.

I don't have time to look through the whole article but looking at the top 10 is pretty

instructive.

Win Shares

Paul

Bynum

Kidd (listed twice)

Camby

Howard

Garnett

Lebron

Biedrins

Powe

Wins Produced

Garnett

Paul

Powe

Amare

Landry

Dinobili

Billups

Bynum

Lebron

Gasol

Powe makes the top 10 both times.

Edited by exodus

I don't have time to look through the whole article but looking at the top 10 is pretty

instructive.

Win Shares

Paul

Bynum

Kidd (listed twice)

Camby

Howard

Garnett

Lebron

Biedrins

Powe

Wins Produced

Garnett

Paul

Powe

Amare

Landry

Dinobili

Billups

Bynum

Lebron

Gasol

Powe makes the top 10 both times.

For various reasons I tend to look mainly at PER and +/- stats. The most important thing when you look at a stat is to know how it's built so you know why a player will seem to have a suprisingly high or low rating. For example, anything based on Dave Berri (win score) is completely useless because they make no provisions for the fact that it is harder to score efficiently at volume and to a point, volume scorers are necessary. You'll hear him say something to the effect of "People like Joe Johnson because he takes the most shots but the best player on Altanta by a long shot is Josh Childress"... something I've actually read.

For various reasons I tend to look mainly at PER and +/- stats. The most important thing when you look at a stat is to know how it's built so you know why a player will seem to have a suprisingly high or low rating. For example, anything based on Dave Berri (win score) is completely useless because they make no provisions for the fact that it is harder to score efficiently at volume and to a point, volume scorers are necessary. You'll hear him say something to the effect of "People like Joe Johnson because he takes the most shots but the best player on Altanta by a long shot is Josh Childress"... something I've actually read.

haha that is ridiculous.

Any stat that has Leon Powe in the top 10 but leaves out the last two MVPs is a little suspect in my book.

What's interesting is that the consensus section where it gets the average overall based on every one of the measurements seems pretty accurate with Garnett, James, Manu, Howard, Kobe, etc., but it has Acie Law as the 2nd worst player in the league with at least 500 minutes played. I know he didn't have a great season, but I didn't think it was that bad.