• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Hawks And The Superstar Theory...

Diesel

Those didn't help either of course. The problem is that Chris Paul is the one who has demonstrated MVP potential to this point, and given the rarity of that type of talent, passing on him is likely BKs biggest blunder.

Hopefully the current Hawks prove this to be false.

Biggest blunder would be letting both Joses go.

The whole Chris Paul thing is the agenda behind this whole post. The idea that passing on Paul means that we can't ever get to a championship. Even the absurd notion that even if Josh Smith and Al Horford played at all-star levels alongside JJ it wouldn't be enough.

Just ludicrous thinking.

Biggest blunder would be letting both Joses go.

The whole Chris Paul thing is the agenda behind this whole post. The idea that passing on Paul means that we can't ever get to a championship. Even the absurd notion that even if Josh Smith and Al Horford played at all-star levels alongside JJ it wouldn't be enough.

Just ludicrous thinking.

The thing is, outside of Detroit, no team has won a championship without one of the top 5 active players in the game leading them to victory in almost 30 years. Detroit twice being the exception, had the advantage of hall of fame coaching for their championships (not to mention balanced veteran rosters and excellent point guard play).

The reality is that the deck is stacked against the Hawks winning a championship unless Smith, Williams or Horford become MVP candidates.

The thing is, outside of Detroit, no team has won a championship without one of the top 5 active players in the game leading them to victory in almost 30 years. Detroit twice being the exception, had the advantage of hall of fame coaching for their championships (not to mention balanced veteran rosters and excellent point guard play).

The reality is that the deck is stacked against the Hawks winning a championship unless Smith, Williams or Horford become MVP candidates.

of Smith, Williams, and Horford, which one is most likely to become an MVP canidate.

"WARNING" there is an agenda

Ummmmm....lets break it down. :magnifier:

I love Smoove more than Big Al

Smoove is my favorite player. No doubt. Where you see this is relative to who can become an MVP candidate escapes me....moving on-

answer Al at this time

Al is mature. Al is the quintessential big man. Al can bang, Al can shoot, Al can board, Al is not volatile. Smoove has more talent, obviously, now, I don't think that he WILL be what Al will. He CAN, certainly.

I'm not sure why.

I'm not sure if you've ever experienced something called "gut feeling"-its what you get when you know something but can't explain it. Objectively I see that Smoove is better and has more talent. Deep down I regret to think that Al will be better longterm. I don't want this, but I think this.

Clearer now?

This theory is true and is why the Hawks(and any other team) would be better off trading a Josh Smith and Horford for Amare. It seems like the Hawks give to much but the whole tenor of your team changes when JJ is suddenly your 2nd best player.

PG Bibby

SG JJ

SF Williams

PF Amare

C Free Agent

is better than keeping Josh and Horford. :beer:

Ummmmm....lets break it down. :magnifier:

Smoove is my favorite player. No doubt. Where you see this is relative to who can become an MVP candidate escapes me....moving on-

Al is mature. Al is the quintessential big man. Al can bang, Al can shoot, Al can board, Al is not volatile. Smoove has more talent, obviously, now, I don't think that he WILL be what Al will. He CAN, certainly.

I'm not sure if you've ever experienced something called "gut feeling"-its what you get when you know something but can't explain it. Objectively I see that Smoove is better and has more talent. Deep down I regret to think that Al will be better longterm. I don't want this, but I think this.

Clearer now?

i was being more playful than anything but i get your point. i totally disagree with it but i get it. i don't need a "gut feeling" with smoove. it's written in stone that he's going to be a top 10 player in this league. whether he's top 10 for two years, four year, or six years, i don't know, but it is going to happen.

I think we have three potential MVP candidates, ranked in order of skills and abilty:

1-JJ: No brainer. If we ever get 50 wins or more he will be a candidate.

2-Horford: he is already rebounding at near elite numbers. He has a few years now to prove he can score.

3-Smoove: a longshot/wildcard due to his jumpshot and lack of self control. But physical ability has never been questioned.

Left off the list:

Marvin: even if he gets up to 20 a game, he does not hit the boards hard enough to be a candidate.

Law: he is not even a starter yet, do not know how anyone could project him into this list.

Bibby: Old, enough said.

Now you guys need to read "potential" and take that with a grain of salt. Take away "potential" and reality tells me JJ is our only possible MVP candidate at this point and time...

Edited by jamesdcrockett

I think we have three potential MVP candidates, ranked in order of skills and abilty:

1-JJ: No brainer. If we ever get 50 wins or more he will be a candidate.

2-Horford: he is already rebounding at near elite numbers. He has a few years now to prove he can score.

3-Smoove: a longshot/wildcard due to his jumpshot and lack of self control. But physical ability has never been questioned.

Left off the list:

Marvin: even if he gets up to 20 a game, he does not hit the boards hard enough to be a candidate.

Law: he is not even a starter yet, do not know how anyone could project him into this list.

Bibby: Old, enough said.

Now you guys need to read "potential" and take that with a grain of salt. Take away "potential" and reality tells me JJ is our only possible MVP candidate at this point and time...

it's not even a matter of potential to me anymore. its going to happen. and its going to happen because he's straight out of high school. i have a theory that says high school and now 1 year college players are probably going to be successful given they work at their game. its obvious that Smith is working at his game, so he's going to be successful. oh, they also don't need to have the confidence crushed early on in their career. see kwame brown

Edited by foeteen14

This theory is true and is why the Hawks(and any other team) would be better off trading a Josh Smith and Horford for Amare. It seems like the Hawks give to much but the whole tenor of your team changes when JJ is suddenly your 2nd best player.

PG Bibby

SG JJ

SF Williams

PF Amare

C Free Agent

is better than keeping Josh and Horford. :beer:

I'm not so sure that Amare is one of those players. For one, the difference b/w Amare/Marion's shooting percentages before and after Nash arrived is pretty astounding (look at Marion's pre/post PHX splits last season). Athletic big men can look very good playing with Nash because he can find them in motion - on a related not, its a real shame we never do any off the ball stuff in the half court with Smith or Horford, a little creativity would help. Second, he gives less than no effort on D, whoever we got at the C position would have to be able to cover for that to the point that we could still be championship caliber.

The nice thing about Josh and Al is that they complement eachother well on D. Al is strong and stout and should be able to hold down the post in the NBA and Josh is quick for his position but still pretty strong and can handle the face-up guys like Bosh/KG better than most. Add to that, Al looks to be an elite rebounder and Smith an elite shotblocker.

Both those guys for Howard, sure. Both for Oden... have to think about it but its a gamble that could pay off big in the end. Both for Amare... overpaying.

I'm not so sure that Amare is one of those players. For one, the difference b/w Amare/Marion's shooting percentages before and after Nash arrived is pretty astounding (look at Marion's pre/post PHX splits last season). Athletic big men can look very good playing with Nash because he can find them in motion - on a related not, its a real shame we never do any off the ball stuff in the half court with Smith or Horford, a little creativity would help. Second, he gives less than no effort on D, whoever we got at the C position would have to be able to cover for that to the point that we could still be championship caliber.

The nice thing about Josh and Al is that they complement eachother well on D. Al is strong and stout and should be able to hold down the post in the NBA and Josh is quick for his position but still pretty strong and can handle the face-up guys like Bosh/KG better than most. Add to that, Al looks to be an elite rebounder and Smith an elite shotblocker.

Both those guys for Howard, sure. Both for Oden... have to think about it but its a gamble that could pay off big in the end. Both for Amare... overpaying.

I agree with this but at the sametime would not complain to loudly as long as Amare proved to be 100% healthy. This one I would do without complaining either:

Marvin and Smoove for Amare. Who would play SF would be a problem; but Amare and Horford would be a dynamic frontcourt. And could you imagine this, within a year of BK resigning all three of his 6'8" 6'9" legacy players have gone elsewhere....

I agree with this but at the sametime would not complain to loudly as long as Amare proved to be 100% healthy. This one I would do without complaining either:

Marvin and Smoove for Amare. Who would play SF would be a problem; but Amare and Horford would be a dynamic frontcourt. And could you imagine this, within a year of BK resigning all three of his 6'8" 6'9" legacy players have gone elsewhere....

I think the problem is that Al+Marv or Josh+Marv alone don't do it, at least not considering where Marv's contract status is.

Are you kidding?

Basically, out of all centers drafted after Kareem in 1969, none are better then Hakeem. that was 39 years ago !

I'd say they had the 4th best center of all time behind only Kareem, Russell, and Wilt. If Hakeem does not qualify as a SUPERSTAR, then I don't know who does.