• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Can Woody Win?

Diesel

Nice article, D.

Keep in mind, all, how Doc was viewed before last season.

I'm not convinced Woody's our best option, but he can certainly win given a winning roster.

That's the real question:

Will this team, as constructed (Smoove inc.), be capable of winning?

I think so, but that determination is based on the individual growth of many key players, and thus admittedly a bit dicey ...

For me, I just don't see in Woodson what other competant coaches have: cool under fire. Woodson panics when under pressure. The evidence is there: ill-timed timeouts, forgetting about players, not adjusting his rotation to take advantage of mis-matches, and over playing his players.

Woodson develops a plan and sticks with it no matter what happens. It is very rare that you will see him make an in-game adjustment. He does OK with between game adjustments, but that goes back to making a plan and sticking with it. In the military there is an old adage, every plan is perfect until it comes into contact with the enemy, then you need to have your gone to hell plan ready. Woody never has that GtH plan in his back pocket.

You also have to wonder how much respect Woodson has in the locker room. It does seem like JJ likes Woody, but when you have classy vets such as Anthony Johnson getting in an all out argument with you, you have to wonder.

In sum, I don't think Woodson can be a successful NBA HC. He might be really good in college, but in his current occupation he's one of the worst.

Nice article, D.

Keep in mind, all, how Doc was viewed before last season.

He was still viewed to be alot better than Woody before last year.

Doc won coach of the year with Orlando, when he had only Tmac and scubs.

• Premium Member

Hah! Dieselblog! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good read dude and a good question as well. Ultimately, I think the team can win with Mike Wodson - if for nothing than the old adage that if you throw enough crap at a wall that something will stick. Eventually, we're likely to see some success through familiarity, maturity, and better talent. I HIGHLY doubt, however, that any success we have will be a direct reflection of Mike Woodson's coaching ability.

I have not been impressed by anything he has done thusfar. Maybe last year was a wash given that he was trying desperately to save his job. Maybe, like rookie players, he just needed to get some experience. But if something doesn't change, namely adding someone to his staff that knows how to create an offense, then we are looking at more mediocrity.

• Moderators

I just don't think he's shown that he can take a team to the next level. The only player that has come out decidedly in Woody's camp is JJ. Of course most players like to never sit on the bench and have every play run for them. Smoove has had his issues of course, Chill mentioned his 6th man status as a major reason he was cool with leaving.

Like every coach he has good points and bad points but as someone pointed out a while back he shouldn't be retained because of the belief that he 'earned' it or that somehow it would be unfair to fire him. He should only be the coach if you believe he can make the Hawks winners and contenders. I'm not sure many believe that.

he couldn't win as a high school coach

Don't be crazy, he would be a very good college coach, excellent X's and O's guy on defense and connects well with the willing youth. Don't get it twisted, the NBA is a monster to coach in. L. Kruger is awful if not the worst NBA coach I've seen and Woddy is 100 times better then him and all Kruger doing is leading UNLV back to the old tradition.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Don't be crazy, he would be a very good college coach, excellent X's and O's guy on defense and connects well with the willing youth. Don't get it twisted, the NBA is a monster to coach in. L. Kruger is awful if not the worst NBA coach I've seen and Woddy is 100 times better then him and all Kruger doing is leading UNLV back to the old tradition.

who said anything about college? I sure didn't

• Premium Member
Woody will be fired before his contract ends. They need to give a guy like Larry Drew a chance. I liked his style on the SL and would like to see him coach a few preseason games.

I doubt that anybody would fire Woody to give Drew a chance. That's going backwards. I suspect that Woody was kept to keep things regular and Cheap. More than likely when the Belkin issue is solved, there will be different plans as coaching is concerned... and I believe those plans will be towards a vet coach.

the reason i deal with woody is because of what he has been able to over come. he was given a team that had nothing on it, and he has survived to this day. its not often you can say that about a coach. he must be doing something right. or of course the ASG could just be doing something wrong. which now that i think about it, is probably the case.