• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith Talk From Golden State

NJHAWK

Frankly, and I'm not suggesting this, if we were to ever try to move Al for a more established star, now would be the time because when he is in Smith's position of asking for more money, people are going to point out that he can't anchor a D and doesn't have enough aggression on offense to ever be the type to warrant a max contract (the writer of this article even makes note that Al's contract is far more attractive).

Actually I think that is how many perceive him to be now, but I believe that in a few years he will be known as a guy that can anchor your D and I see him developing into a Brand type of offensive player. He got more aggressive as the year went on last year and I think we'll see that since he'll no longer be a rookie he won't be as hesitant to try and score.

Actually I think that is how many perceive him to be now, but I believe that in a few years he will be known as a guy that can anchor your D and I see him developing into a Brand type of offensive player. He got more aggressive as the year went on last year and I think we'll see that since he'll no longer be a rookie he won't be as hesitant to try and score.

Thats the thing, you look around here and see people saying that Al will be like Brand (20ppg from day one) or Boozer or even Tim Duncan (a deluded few) but Josh will top out at Gerald Wallace or Kirelinko with a worse shot.

When you have a rookie, you tend to expect the best, with a vet you already know their flaws.

Al Horford will be a great big man, and someone I can easily averaging 17/11 if he is the 2nd or 3rd option. Of course, if we keep both Marvin and Josh Smith, he'll never become a big threat in the offense. I don't think Al is as gifted offensively as Boozer, Brand, and Duncan, but he is gifted defensively, like Brand and Duncan. He did a lot to anchor our D this year, although he wasn't some shutdown post defender. He played extremely well for a rookie, and he'll only get better. After all, how does a rookie average 10 points and get consideration for ROY ? The thing with Al is he has no glaring flaws. Sure he isn't the best offensive player, but he has the tools to be effective. He's an above average ball handler for his size, as well as an above average passer. His man defense is good and he is a very good rebounder.

• Premium Member
There is also a very obvious trend on this board for people falling in love with the newest Hawk draft pick. It makes sense in a way as a rookie can have warts and we can still hope they become a superstar.

Do you have some sort of teleport to this board you speak of? It's sound utopian.

Al Horford will be a great big man, and someone I can easily averaging 17/11 if he is the 2nd or 3rd option. Of course, if we keep both Marvin and Josh Smith, he'll never become a big threat in the offense. I don't think Al is as gifted offensively as Boozer, Brand, and Duncan, but he is gifted defensively, like Brand and Duncan. He did a lot to anchor our D this year, although he wasn't some shutdown post defender. He played extremely well for a rookie, and he'll only get better. After all, how does a rookie average 10 points and get consideration for ROY ? The thing with Al is he has no glaring flaws. Sure he isn't the best offensive player, but he has the tools to be effective. He's an above average ball handler for his size, as well as an above average passer. His man defense is good and he is a very good rebounder.

Thats the think, Brand and Duncan are both anchors in that they are the primary shotblockers on their teams and have been since day one. I think he could become as good a post defender as either but both of them are often played on the weaker offensive threat so they can protect the hoop.

I think Al should look to be more like Karl Malone on defense. He was never the prime shotblocker because it wasn't his thing but he would handle the opposing team's best post player because he was strong and mean.