• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Lebron Will Consider Europe According To A Person Close To James

Admin

Jay-Z and the New Jersey Nets? Mike D'Antoni and the New York Knicks?

Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers' strongest competition for LeBron James' long-term services could be the deep-pocketed new kid on the block -- Europe.

A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."

James' current contract expires after the 2009-10 season, and while several NBA teams are working to create salary cap space for his impending free agency, none could offer a contract beginning at even $20 million a year.

The Russian team CSKA Moscow and the Greek team Olympiacos, which recently gave Josh Childress a contract approaching $30 million over three years, have already contacted James, according to the person close to him. The person added, however, that no monetary or contractual discussions have taken place.

While $50 million a year seems outlandish, it is within the realm of possibility, considering the $250 million contract David Beckham received two years ago to join the MLS, the $33 million Michael Jordan was paid by the Chicago Bulls in 1997-1998, the strength of the euro in comparison to the dollar, and the fact that European clubs are not bound by a salary cap.

While several NBA players have left the league this summer for more lucrative contracts in Europe, no stars have done so -- or even considered it. Joel Litvin, the NBA's president of league and basketball operations, said the league is not concerned about this developing trend.

"I don't want to say it's much ado about nothing, but we think it's overblown a bit," Litvin said. "It's not something we're losing sleep over. "

But losing a player of James' magnitude would be nothing short of a nightmare for the NBA.

"For the most part, the league considers the players to be fungible products," an official from the National Basketball Players Association said. "But LeBron is one of the three or four players the league would definitely hate to lose. If a team lost him or Kobe [bryant] to Europe, it would lose its mind. It would be devastating."

But both Litvin and the NBPA official said they don't foresee anything -- even the loss of a superstar -- leading the NBA to eliminate the salary cap and thereby compete financially with the European teams.

"It would be disappointing to lose one of our star players, but I have no concern at all about the best players playing anywhere but in the NBA for a long time to come," Litvin said. "I'd be surprised if one of our top players chose to go to Europe but if it did happen, there are many players who would step up and fill the void."

The source close to James said he would play in Europe only for a year or two before returning to the NBA. He said James would view it as an opportunity to popularize the game and himself overseas. He added that James would not consider himself to be playing in the "minor leagues."

"Not at all," the person said. "He believes those guys are pros also."

The entire scenario falls in line with James' stated goals of becoming a billionaire and "global icon." But the representative from the players' association will have to see James in a European uniform before he believes it.

"First of all, we don't know that there's going to be a $50 million offer," the official said. "And secondly, he wouldn't be able to accomplish over there the things that he wants to do over here, which are to win NBA championships, MVP awards, etc."

But he would be filthy rich and a global icon.

If the NBA doesn't realize that this is a real concern for the future of the league then they are just fooling themselves. I'm not suggesting that they should get rid of the salary cap, but they need to do something. Compensatory picks, a mandatory period where the player cannot return to the NBA, etc. I just don't believe that they can't just turn a blind eye to this.

If the NBA doesn't realize that this is a real concern for the future of the league then they are just fooling themselves. I'm not suggesting that they should get rid of the salary cap, but they need to do something. Compensatory picks, a mandatory period where the player cannot return to the NBA, etc. I just don't believe that they can't just turn a blind eye to this.

It is going to take a big time player to bolt to Europe for them to actually do something. This isn't a pro-active league, it is a reactive one. Also, I would find it hard for all 30 owners to agree on getting rid of the salary cap. There definitely should be changes though.

If you took away salary caps, teams like LA, NY, and BOS would dominate the league year in-year out.

Look at MLB, since 2000 there has been only one repeat champion. Only Boston, NYY, and St. Louis (big market huh?) have been to a World Series multiple times in that period of time.

Edited by hawksfanatic

Look at MLB, since 2000 there has been only one repeat champion. Only Boston, NYY, and St. Louis (big market huh?) have been to a World Series multiple times in that period of time.

I think the league could survive without a salary cap, as long as there were major rule changes like having to give up draft picks when you sign a big name FA, keeping a luxury tax around so that the big market teams continue to send money to the small market teams, etc. The NBADL also needs to really be expanded to be more of a farm system for each team though so that you can always be developing young players without sacrificing minutes on your big team.

I think the league could survive without a salary cap, as long as there were major rule changes like having to give up draft picks when you sign a big name FA, keeping a luxury tax around so that the big market teams continue to send money to the small market teams, etc. The NBADL also needs to really be expanded to be more of a farm system for each team though so that you can always be developing young players without sacrificing minutes on your big team.

Some variation of how European soccer league's are formed is how we should go about it. There definitely isn't a simple change that this league needs, but I bet if the league does react it will be some lame rule change to the CBA and nothing major. Maybe a barrier to entry and exit? Who knows, I just don't have much faith that IF the NBA does change something that it wouldn't solve the whole problem.

Some variation of how European soccer league's are formed is how we should go about it. There definitely isn't a simple change that this league needs, but I bet if the league does react it will be some lame rule change to the CBA and nothing major. Maybe a barrier to entry and exit? Who knows, I just don't have much faith that IF the NBA does change something that it wouldn't solve the whole problem.

I think that the only thing we can do is feel safe that the Hawks won't allow any of their players to be taken by a Euro team :helpsmilie:

You know... I know what alot of people are going to say: Hell yeah! Go for the money.

That's the sign of the times we live in. Instead of looking up to players because of good things, we now

get to praise athletes for being greedy b@stards. This makes me want to snicker. I mean, LJ admits he'd play for this teams, but at the same time has the guts to put on a USA uni and go out there and give half assed efforts?

Just another reason why it's nearly impossible to root for any of these loser NBA players now.

Tell me something man- why are you here if all you do is b****? Just a friendly wondering.

Same reason why you're here posting just for the sake of it. Hotlanta has his own opinion just as you have your own... message boards are sort of the place to exchange those 'opinions'. ;)

come on dude you know what I mean- HA has an agenda; I have pos and neg. opinions on different stuff. I have yet to read a positive post of his.

Reality of the world doesn't offer alot of positives right now. I can assure you that I'm FAR from being alone with my thoughts on the current NBA players. That's why the league is having to manipulate games because the players are unable to attract fans.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Reality of the world doesn't offer alot of positives right now. I can assure you that I'm FAR from being alone with my thoughts on the current NBA players. That's why the league is having to manipulate games because the players are unable to attract fans.

Yea that goes for MLB and NFL too.

The problem with society is that we look up to the wrong people, but that's a different discussion for a different thread.

Why is LJ seen as "greedy" because he wants more money ? A man can't want a raise because he's a pro-athlete ? or a millionaire who aspires to become a billionaire is greedy for pursuing his goals ?

@hawksfanatic

Basketball is a bit different than baseball. I dont really watch baseball anymore, so I don't have a lot of insight regarding the sport. However, I will say that the Yankees have historically dominated baseball. They are also the biggest market for pro baseball and have the most money to spend. St. Louis is a major city, and one that loves baseball. So, they might not be as big a market as BOS or NY, but you can't write 'em off like they aren't a big market. Teams could still compete, but the smaller (in terms of revenue) teams would have to put forth extra effort to field a competitive team. Can you imagine what RFA or FA would be like without a salary cap ?

The problem with society is that we look up to the wrong people, but that's a different discussion for a different thread.

Why is LJ seen as "greedy" because he wants more money ? A man can't want a raise because he's a pro-athlete ? or a millionaire who aspires to become a billionaire is greedy for pursuing his goals ?

@hawksfanatic

Basketball is a bit different than baseball. I dont really watch baseball anymore, so I don't have a lot of insight regarding the sport. However, I will say that the Yankees have historically dominated baseball. They are also the biggest market for pro baseball and have the most money to spend. St. Louis is a major city, and one that loves baseball. So, they might not be as big a market as BOS or NY, but you can't write 'em off like they aren't a big market. Teams could still compete, but the smaller (in terms of revenue) teams would have to put forth extra effort to field a competitive team. Can you imagine what RFA or FA would be like without a salary cap ?

A raise? LMAO.

It's amazing the things sports fans make themselves believe. Fans are supposed to "support the team no matter what" but it's alright if players have no loyalty to the fans or franchise? I don't understand the thinking. I really don't. I'm supposed to say good things about this team even though they don't deserve it.

Do sports fans just like to get f*cked? Sometimes I wonder.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

I fail to see the humor. However, fundamentally, all LeBron wants is a raise in his current NBA salary to a large Euro salary. The rich getting richer just strikes a nerve with you, huh ?

Edited by EazyRoc

I fail to see the humor. However, fundamentally, all LeBron wants is a raise in his current NBA salary to a large Euro salary. The rich getting richer just strikes a nerve with you, huh ?

I'll say this... Whomever shares your viewpoint shouldn't be coming to me and tell me that I need to support the players and team and say good things about them when they clearly don't give a crap about me or the fans. I'm trying to make sense of it all here. People whine that I only say negative things about the team. Why should I say positive things about a bunch of selfish players and a selfish franchise that doesn't win? Don't ask me to blindly support a team and players that don't give a crap about me and will bolt the team for more money when they're already rich.

Honestly, I loathe myself in part because I still watch any of this stuff. The people that have bailed on the sports scene the last several years has it right. The positive note though is that I'm closer than I ever have been to leaving this stuff behind. It takes me a while to leave stuff behind. It took me years to leave Pro Wrestling behind when it went down the crapper.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Do what you feel is necessary. However, I don't support any team or player no matter what. In fact, I really don't care a whole lot about LeBron James, and wouldn't consider myself a fan. I don't care how positive or negative you are about the team. I really don't care whether or not you support the Hawks. It's just I'm sick of people crying about sports players being greedy. It seems like you're mad they're getting money, and have the opportunity to gain more. So, instead of calling yourself a hater, you call them greedy.