• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Evans Vs Childress

Vol4ever

My point was there are those who are saying Evans is better because they are mad that Chillz left. Making excuses for the Hawks is a joke IMO. If they had taken care of business they would have had Childress and probably Evans too.

Personally, I think the Hawks have done a terrible job and Evans is a better fit (not better player).

I thought we were going to move JC at the deadline though.

If Evans is so good why didn't Orlando want to bring him back? Can't be because of the money because they paid Pietrus more.

We are talking about a guy who was choosing to sign with either the Clippers or Atlanta - not exactly premier franchises.

Orlando has an abundance of perimeter players (Garrity, Reddick, Turkoglu, etc) and they just drafted Courtney Lee this year. I think that kind of made Evans expendible but doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

Edited by PlayaPat420

Orlando has an abundance of perimeter players (Garrity, Reddick, Turkoglu, etc) and they just drafted Courtney Lee this year. I think that kind of made Evans expendible but doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

But they signed the 6'6" Pietrus, so that blows that theory out of the water. Pietrus is just a better player than Evans, and was the guy the Hawks should have gone after to replace Childress.

Evans is a nice piece, but to say he'll replace what Childress gave is a little much. He will give the Hawks good perimeter play, which the team needed. But he doesn't give them the baseline work that Childress provides. Again, all we have for Childress right now is a CAP-HOLD, which is worthless.

But they signed the 6'6" Pietrus, so that blows that theory out of the water. Pietrus is just a better player than Evans, and was the guy the Hawks should have gone after to replace Childress.

Evans is a nice piece, but to say he'll replace what Childress gave is a little much. He will give the Hawks good perimeter play, which the team needed. But he doesn't give them the baseline work that Childress provides. Again, all we have for Childress right now is a CAP-HOLD, which is worthless.

Remember we dont´want either Evans or Pietrus to start. Agree that Pietrus could be better player but why GS did not resign him? The truth here is that we needed a SG not a SF as both JJ and Marvin can play SF and that a bench player should be a cheap player. If you assess production/price Evans is better option than both Pietrus and Childress, that is a fact and nobody can argue about that. Not looking to not spend money just to have as much money as possible to sign your starters.

Pietrus is just a better player than Evans

I'm not sure how you can say Pietrus is better than Evans right now. Maybe eventually, sure, but not now.

Pietrus:

7.2ppg, 35% 3ptrs

Evans:

9.3 ppg, 40% 3ptrs.

They've both been pro for exactly five years. I'll take Evans this season every time, however, you may be right that Pietrus is a much better longterm investment.

Remember we dont´want either Evans or Pietrus to start. Agree that Pietrus could be better player but why GS did not resign him? The truth here is that we needed a SG not a SF as both JJ and Marvin can play SF and that a bench player should be a cheap player. If you assess production/price Evans is better option than both Pietrus and Childress, that is a fact and nobody can argue about that. Not looking to not spend money just to have as much money as possible to sign your starters.

The difference is how these guys get their offense. The Hawks need someone that can come off the bench and create his own shot. Evens is a set shooter who gets point in flow and off of post doubles. Its no wonder he had a very good year in Orlando with Dwight pulling all those double teams.

Pietrus can score off the dribble and get in the lane. Evens is just not that sort of player. Did the Hawks need what Evens can give, sure, but Pietrus can also hit those threes.

One of the reasons that the Hawks lost so much last season is that no one in the second unit could score. JJ plays 40+ minutes because no one can score. The Hawks needed someone that can come in and give points off the bench to help with the long term minutes and to give the team that lift off the bench.

The argument about GS not resigning Pietrus is a non-sequitar. Orlando didn't re-sign Evens either.

The difference is how these guys get their offense. The Hawks need someone that can come off the bench and create his own shot. Evens is a set shooter who gets point in flow and off of post doubles. Its no wonder he had a very good year in Orlando with Dwight pulling all those double teams.

Pietrus can score off the dribble and get in the lane. Evens is just not that sort of player. Did the Hawks need what Evens can give, sure, but Pietrus can also hit those threes.

One of the reasons that the Hawks lost so much last season is that no one in the second unit could score. JJ plays 40+ minutes because no one can score. The Hawks needed someone that can come in and give points off the bench to help with the long term minutes and to give the team that lift off the bench.

The argument about GS not resigning Pietrus is a non-sequitar. Orlando didn't re-sign Evens either.

I don't see much difference between both of them. Pietrus makes 5M$ if I remember well, he is more a SF than a SG, I think Evans is better defender and you will not get from him twice the production Evans will give you.

I also liked to sign Pietrus even ahead of Childress and that was because he was a cheaper better fit option but the signing of Evans is also great. For the money we offered to Chill we could have Evans and Pietrus or Evans, Hermann and Kwame, sure we will miss Chill but the production of those players combined can give you is better by far than the production Chill gave. The problem with all this is that I have the feeling that ASG will not make anymore than signing Evans and save the rest of the money and that is the main reason why we will miss a lot Chill this season.

And about GS they prefered to sign Evans to a cheaper deal than to sign either Pietrus or Azubuike, there should be a reason for that, eventhough I don't understand the issue with Azubuike, for me he would have been the perfect fit in Atlanta.

Orlando has had a black hole at shooting guard for a few years now. They desperately need someone who can hit a J and play solid defense. Instead of resigning him after he had a career year, they went out and replaced him with a late first round draft pick and another free agent.

Again, I like Evans, but there is a reason he was choosing between the worst two franchises in the NBA - Clippers and Hawks.

Again, I like Evans, but there is a reason he was choosing between the worst two franchises in the NBA - Clippers and Hawks.

No, he was chosing between Warriors and Hawks, he simply choose the better contract and that is why GS matched Clippers offer for Azubuike. GS prefered Evans to Azubuike and Pietrus I suppose as they did not try to resign him.

And about GS they prefered to sign Evans to a cheaper deal than to sign either Pietrus or Azubuike, there should be a reason for that, eventhough I don't understand the issue with Azubuike, for me he would have been the perfect fit in Atlanta.

Reports say that Nelson and Pietrus didn't along. It was one of those situations where the player and coach just didn't mesh for whatever reasons. Nelson has that effect on players. There is a reason why Nelson is one of the biggest deal makers in the NBA, he burns players out.

I agree that having both Evens and Pietrus would have been better than just Evens.

The argument that is more important to make is that if the ASG had actually thought through all the permutations about the Childress RFA situation, they would have begun to work on an SnT well before Childress went and found Olympikous (sp?). The bottom line is that the ASG screwed up with the Childress signing because they thought they could bully him into signing the contract that they wanted him to sign. This is bad business overall. You create a much better alliance and loyalty when both sides feel they have an equiatable deal- its really basic business sense.

oh.... so i guess there is only ONE factor in a signing? Pietrus is 4 years younger than Evans, so maybe they felt their money would be better invested in him, as well.

oh.... so i guess there is only ONE factor in a signing? Pietrus is 4 years younger than Evans, so maybe they felt their money would be better invested in him, as well.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I agree that having both Evens and Pietrus would have been better than just Evens.

:no-no: I did not say that, I said that for the same money we offered to Chill we could have Evans a Pietrus or even better Azubuike and Pietrus or even better Evan, Hermann and Brown, even if we did not obtain anything for Childress. That's a different argument. In fact I would have tried to trade Childress to NJ for Boone and Marcus Williams that was really a move that would have improved both teams

• Premium Member

You're right and there are those who will take up for the Hawks for no apparent reason at all. Kinda reminds me of somne people's politics