• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

State, For Posterity, Your Case ...

ATLBob

I just want all of you idiots to show how stupid you are in one thread.

State, for the record, all the dumb@ss shiitake you want about Marvin's supposed lack of game.

Seriously, lets get it all in this one thread so that I can flame all of you idiots during the season.

Let the Marvin hate out you numbskulls.

(and, FYI, if you feel the need to attack me personally, since I've already started the trend, stick to insulting my intelligence please).

That's right, for the record, claim that Marvin won't be a top ten SF next season.

Let it flow, so that we can point out how little you know about basketball in a few months.

:stirthepot:

I will go on the record - as if I haven't been before - that I think the 245 LB Marvin who has been trying to shoot threes - will still suck at shooting threes. I DO agree with Marvin that 4 or 5 of the threes he shot this last year were desparation shots from 1/2 court (most shooters can go 1/5 from the center line) BUT - I'll give him that so he wasn't a 10% shooter - he was a 20% shooter. If he gets to 33% this year I'll eat my hat....gladly.

As far as the extra muscle goes and the body fat %age....I'm still from Missouri....show me.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I will go on the record - as if I haven't been before - that I think the 245 LB Marvin who has been trying to shoot threes - will still suck at shooting threes. I DO agree with Marvin that 4 or 5 of the threes he shot this last year were desparation shots from 1/2 court (most shooters can go 1/5 from the center line) BUT - I'll give him that so he wasn't a 10% shooter - he was a 20% shooter. If he gets to 33% this year I'll eat my hat....gladly.

As far as the extra muscle goes and the body fat %age....I'm still from Missouri....show me.

Thanks, DJ. I respect your opinion.

Can't wait to see some of the responses when I finally roll outta bed in the afternoon.

Edited by ATLBob

Let me clarify for those who might have missed something...I'm saying MW will NOT shoot 33% or better from the 3 point line...if he does I will eat my hat (it's a nice Fedora - all wool - so I can eat it slowly with food)....but I doubt I'll have to :hush:....overall shooting %age does not apply.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I just want all of you idiots to show how stupid you are in one thread.

State, for the record, all the dumb@ss shiitake you want about Marvin's supposed lack of game.

Seriously, lets get it all in this one thread so that I can flame all of you idiots during the season.

Let the Marvin hate out you numbskulls.

(and, FYI, if you feel the need to attack me personally, since I've already started the trend, stick to insulting my intelligence please).

That's right, for the record, claim that Marvin won't be a top ten SF next season.

Let it flow, so that we can point out how little you know about basketball in a few months.

Well Bob, what, we can't insult your Mom and your intelligence?

In seriousness; I can't hate on Marvin right now after the interview and Chillz leaving. I think he could really explode. I'm willing to trade him for a Okur/Kaman type guy but also willing to wait it out, unlike some. So when he shoots 33 % on threes this year and averages 19ppg, don't say I hated.

I'm just glad I don't have to renounce my HS membership and drive down to Philips!

• Premium Member

With all due respect, Bob, this thread may be the most unnecessary use of HawkSquawk bandwidth immaginable (exodus' posts notwithstanding) .... a simple search reveals the vetting of practically anyone who's been here longer than 24 hours.

But fwiw, and in support of your general bullish outlook, I'm on record that age is a better independent variable for measuring outcomes of a 22 year old than is number of years in the league. Therefore, the comparisons look pretty reasonable for Marvin to emerge not much better nor much worse than a Richard Jefferson.

If Marvin just modestly improves over how he started last season, there will not be much to complain about. I am thinking modest improvement to phenomenal improvement, with phenomenal being Marvin asserting himself as a #1 type scorer.

If you think Marvin will be a top 10 sf next year... how would your rank him against these other SFs?

I only had time to add 20 of them, so guys like Prince and AK47 got left off.

LeBron James - 30.0ppg - 7.9rebs - 7.2 asts

Carmelo Anthony -25.7ppg - 7.4rebs - 3.4 asts

Richard Jefferson - 22.6ppg - 4.2rebs - 3.1 asts

Paul Pierce - 19.6ppg - 5.1rebs - 4.5 asts

Danny Granger - 19.6ppg - 6.1rebs - 2.1 ast

Hedo Turkoglu - 19.5ppg - 5.7rebs - 5.0asts

Rudy Gay - 20.1ppg - 6.2rebs - 2.0asts

Rashard Lewis - 18.2ppg - 5.4rebs - 2.4asts

Josh Howard - 19.9ppg - 7.0rebs 2.2 ast

Ron Artest - 20.5ppg - 5.8 - 3.5 asts

Stephen Jackson - 20.1ppg - 4.4 - 4.1asts

Mike Dunleavy -19.1 - 5.2 - 3.5 asts

Lamar Odom - 14.2ppg - 10.6 rebs - 3.5asts

Shawn Marion -15.8ppg - 9.9rebs - 2.2 asts

Al Thornton - 12.7ppg - 4.5rebs - 1.2asts

Peja Stojakovic - 16.4ppg - 4.3rebs - 1.2asts

Kevin Durant -20.3 ppg 4.4rebs - 2.2 asts

Caron Butler - 20.3ppg - 6.7rebs 4.9 asts

Corey Maggette - 22.1ppg - 5.6rebs - 2.7asts

Gerald Wallace - 19.2ppg - 6.0rebs - 3.5asts

Luol Deng - 17.0 - 6.2asts - 2.5ast

Andre Iguodala -19.9ppg - 5.4rebs - 4.8 asts

Future News:

In only his tenth regular season game this year, Marvin Williams has continued his torrid shooting pace, scoring 33 points in a Hawks victory over the Toronto Raptors. "I knew it was going to be tough tonight" said Williams..."they have a great inside presence with Bosh and J.O. in the paint. I just felt we had to outscore them". Williams was 5 for 7 from the 3 point arc - performing his characteristic back flip after every made trey. Late in the game, after hitting a three from the wing - which iced the game for the Hawks - Williams added something to his newfound routine - doing a mid-air half twist and sticking the landing.

Noted Josh Smith "we simply have to continue to control the paint...everybody knows that I'm a shot blocker, but with Marvin's added strength this year, opposing players just can't drive the lane".

Still a newly-wed...Williams said all is going great with his new wife Paris Hilton. Williams noted "with the three days off before the upcoming Golden State game I'll just be practicing a few thousand threes...and when we get some spare time Paris and I will continue to work on our Malaria vaccine. Now that we know it works we want to streamline the production process to reduce costs and make it available to all developing countries".

Also - Al Horford had his fourth double-double of the year...getting 11 rebounds and scoring 10 points off of hustle plays and stickbacks. Said Horford "I'm just happy to be here".

Edited by DJlaysitup

If you think Marvin will be a top 10 sf next year... how would your rank him against these other SFs?

Wow, thats a pretty stout list. If he cracks the top ten he'd have to score at least 20 a game, and even then its not a lock.

Wow, thats a pretty stout list. If he cracks the top ten he'd have to score at least 20 a game, and even then its not a lock.

Yeah...He'd probably have to pass Josh Smith as the 2nd best scorer in order to achieve the goal... that's somewhat likely now that he will probably stay pass the 6 min mark in the 1st quarter.

Lol he is better than a few of those. Problem with the list is there are alot of guys on there WHO ARE NOT SMALL FORWARDS.

Lol he is better than a few of those. Problem with the list is there are alot of guys on there WHO ARE NOT SMALL FORWARDS.

I don't know if he will be top 10 OFFENSIVELY but I think a case will be able to be made that he is top 10 ALL AROUND after next season. A LOT of those SFs are the go to guys on their respective teams and they are going to score more than Marv. Period. BEST CASE for Marv, he would be our 2nd option behind JJ and even if he is, I expect all 5 of our starters to average double figures which will water down the scoring stats for ALL of them. That said, DEFENSIVELY, I think he is top 5 on the list and he is an above average rebounder for a SF.

If he can get his scoring average up to 17-18 a game while shooting a good percentage, his rebounding average up to 6.5-7 per game and if he continues to play tough D, I can see a case being made for him being top 10 all around at SF.

Oh yeah, Pimp, LOVE that photo! :lol6:

Edited by Traceman

Guest Walter

I'll go on the record although I don't know how you intend to objectively measure it. I believe MW will not be a top 10 Sf as indicated by per48 stats for Sfs playing 20 minutes or more using either Roland Rating, TENDEX, or any other overall statistics.

Is that clear enough?

Example? The WORST of the top ten Sfs per48 TENDEX scores last year was Danny Granger's 24.86.

http://www.dougstats.com/07-08Tendex.html

MW last year had a per48 TENDEX of 19.87. Ouch. Not a chance.

W

I don't know if he will be top 10 OFFENSIVELY but I think a case will be able to be made that he is top 10 ALL AROUND after next season. A LOT of those SFs are the go to guys on their respective teams and they are going to score more than Marv. Period. BEST CASE for Marv, he would be our 2nd option behind JJ and even if he is, I expect all 5 of our starters to average double figures which will water down the scoring stats for ALL of them. That said, DEFENSIVELY, I think he is top 5 on the list and he is an above average rebounder for a SF.

If he can get his scoring average up to 17-18 a game while shooting a good percentage, his rebounding average up to 6.5-7 per game and if he continues to play tough D, I can see a case being made for him being top 10 all around at SF.

Oh yeah, Pimp, LOVE that photo! :lol6:

He's an OK rebounder for a SF, don't forget he was essentially the backup PF last season.

As far as top 5 defensively:

LeBron James

Richard Jefferson

Paul Pierce

Danny Granger

Josh Howard

Ron Artest

Stephen Jackson

Lamar Odom

Shawn Marion

Caron Butler

Gerald Wallace

Luol Deng

Andre Iguodala

are all guys on just that list that I'd take before him, leaves out guys like Bowen and Posey