• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Falcons Look Competitive

DrReality

Thomas Brown was looking very good. I think he'll be an excellent kick returner. He's quick, strong, and just knows how to make people miss. Jason Snelling looked good, but he looked good last pre-season too. Joey Harrington looked worse than his stats showed. He was underthrowing players on short routes. Roddy White is becoming the big play WR everyone was waiting on, he really bailed Ryan out on that TD throw. Shockley was throwing some good passes, although he blew the game in the end.

I watched it starting in the 2nd quarter. (Had to check out Phelps and the gang in the Olympics, that man is BAD).

I know its preseason but Matt Ryan looked pretty sharp for a rookie QB's first pro game of any sort. He definately made quick and decisive reads and rarely held on too the ball to long which is a sign of awareness or smarts or whatever you want to call it. I know team will turn up the heat on him in the regular season but he is smart enough and gets rid of the ball quick enough to make them pay. Ryan did not look like a rookie at all. Like the other poster said....he was very poised.

Granted the Jaguars best pass rushing DE came out after the first Q. The commentators said he gave Sam Baker all sorts of trouble. Any reports on Baker's 1st quarter vs/ the starting rush end ? We realy need him or Ryan, Turner, Norwood, and the rest of the skill players can't do their thing.

Edited by coachx

Confidence is a major thing and to have his first outing go so well is a plus. He just needs to build his knowledge from week to week. For the first game it looked like he read the defenses well. Article in the paper said he his multiple receivers . . . . which is a good sign. Made me think that he did something right out of the box that Vick had a hard time with.

I watched it starting in the 2nd quarter. (Had to check out Phelps and the gang in the Olympics, that man is BAD).

I know its preseason but Matt Ryan looked pretty sharp for a rookie QB's first pro game of any sort. He definately made quick and decisive reads and rarely held on too the ball to long which is a sign of awareness or smarts or whatever you want to call it. I know team will turn up the heat on him in the regular season but he is smart enough and gets rid of the ball quick enough to make them pay. Ryan did not look like a rookie at all. Like the other poster said....he was very poised.

Granted the Jaguars best pass rushing DE came out after the first Q. The commentators said he gave Sam Baker all sorts of trouble. Any reports on Baker's 1st quarter vs/ the starting rush end ? We realy need him or Ryan, Turner, Norwood, and the rest of the skill players can't do their thing.

I thought the whole team looked much better than at any point last year. The person who said the team just looks better, I completely agree. Guys were running onto an off the field.

Organization and tempo is so much better you really can't believe that the Falcons were a pro-team last year in comparison.

Some impressions:

Ryan- looks like the absolute right pick, but its just one game. Best QB on the roster Saturday

Sam Baker- made a couple of mistakes, but overall was solid. Handled the Jags two best ends well. Pancaked one guy HARD. Guy went in for a bull rush and Baker put him flat on his a**. Great block. The notion that Baker can't pass protect looks premature. Of course its just one game, but his debut was good.

Harrington- get rid of him, please.

Shockly- timing is definately off for him. I didn't think he looked that great. Better than Joey certainly, but not any where near what Ryan looked like.

Turner- looks like an excellent signing.

D-line- needs a lot of work. Bierman got some pressures, but also got completely shut down at times. Anderson still not all that effective- bust might be a label we're saying by mid-season. The DTs held their own at times, but the Jags did get some holes as well.

Lofton vs. TT- I have no idea who is going to win this battle for the starting MLB. Both guys looked good and made good reads on run plays.

I thought the whole team looked much better than at any point last year. The person who said the team just looks better, I completely agree. Guys were running onto an off the field.

Organization and tempo is so much better you really can't believe that the Falcons were a pro-team last year in comparison.

Some impressions:

Ryan- looks like the absolute right pick, but its just one game. Best QB on the roster Saturday

Sam Baker- made a couple of mistakes, but overall was solid. Handled the Jags two best ends well. Pancaked one guy HARD. Guy went in for a bull rush and Baker put him flat on his a**. Great block. The notion that Baker can't pass protect looks premature. Of course its just one game, but his debut was good.

Harrington- get rid of him, please.

Shockly- timing is definately off for him. I didn't think he looked that great. Better than Joey certainly, but not any where near what Ryan looked like.

Turner- looks like an excellent signing.

D-line- needs a lot of work. Bierman got some pressures, but also got completely shut down at times. Anderson still not all that effective- bust might be a label we're saying by mid-season. The DTs held their own at times, but the Jags did get some holes as well.

Lofton vs. TT- I have no idea who is going to win this battle for the starting MLB. Both guys looked good and made good reads on run plays.

Thanks for the scoop on Baker's 1st quarter.

Lofton and Taylor is good young depth to have at MLB.

I really like Vangorder's energy as D.C. He was pretty aggressive at UGA. I expect more blitzing as the young corners get some expierence.

I thought Grimes, I believe that's his name, played his arse off as well.

Yes, Brent Grimes did an excellent job against Jacksonville. I think he'll end up starting for us. The only thing I don't like about him is his height. He will easily get exploited because of the matchup problems that will happen between him and a taller receiver. Although I'm pretty impressed by how he handled himself against that tall receiver on JAX (forgot his name)... the man sure can jump.

Yes, Brent Grimes did an excellent job against Jacksonville. I think he'll end up starting for us. The only thing I don't like about him is his height. He will easily get exploited because of the matchup problems that will happen between him and a taller receiver. Although I'm pretty impressed by how he handled himself against that tall receiver on JAX (forgot his name)... the man sure can jump.

They were saying he is one of those guys that our new GM found via his deep scouting team. Looks like he could be a real sleeper. Really puts a feather in his cap.

They were saying he is one of those guys that our new GM found via his deep scouting team. Looks like he could be a real sleeper. Really puts a feather in his cap.

Brent Grimes was on our roster even before Tom Dimitroff was the GM here. He came up from the practice squad last year due to the number of injuries. Apparently, Emmitt Thomas, assistant head coach this year and temporary head coach last year after Petrino's short notice departure, is very high on Grimes. We can definitely see why, lol. With Van Hutchens' very unfortunate season-ending injury, it looks like Grimes will be starting with Chevis Jackson playing the nickel corner.