• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

New Sekou blog

frosgrim

From Sekou Smith

Around the rim

By Sekou K Smith | Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 12:05 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

SMYRNA - I know the US-Angola game in Beijing this morning is a tough sell for most, but having missed most of Sunday’s game with China, it was my first opportunity to see Team Kobe in action.

And while I still disagree with the idea of making Kobe the centerpiece of this team (I’d play through LeBron “Little Emperor” James and Dwyane Wade and let everyone else get in where they fit in), I want to see what this team is capable of doing on this stage.

A 97-76 runaway on an inferior opponent is what you expect. But around 9:16 a.m., the broadcast kicked into high gear for me as NBC analyst Doug Collins started riffing on the Hawks and why they passed on Chris Paul and Deron Williams in the 2005 draft in favor of Marvin Williams.

I’m not sure who he has doing his research, but they need to polish up their skills and make sure they get the story right before going on the air.

Collins insisted that Joe Johnson wanted the point guard job that summer and the Hawks’ pursuit of him was predicated on Johnson being allowed to play the point. “He played off the ball in Phoenix with Steve Nash and in order to play with the Hawks he wanted to have the ball in his hands,” Collins said, speaking like someone who was actually involved in the process (which he, of course, was not).

And for the record, that’s not even close to right.

The entire Joe Johnson at point guard was a hybrid idea from former Hawks general manager Billy Knight and coach Mike Woodson. Since Johnson had played that spot at Arkansas (he wasn’t listed as a point guard but I was covering the SEC back then and he was absolutely the Hogs’ point guard, the same LeBron is the Cavs’ point guard these days), the Hawks’ brass at the time felt he could play a similar role here.

It was a fine theory but faulty in practice, as we all saw over the course of Johnson’s first half season in a Hawks uniform. It was way too much pressure on your best player, best defender and clutch-shooter to have to worry about handling the ball that much.

The reason the Hawks didn’t take either of those point guards, and they worked both of them out, is that they were convinced that they needed a veteran point guard (huge mistake). They didn’t think Williams or Paul was ready to lead a team from the first day of training camp (another huge mistaken evaluation).

In fact, my notes from interviews with Knight, Woodson and other members of the front office staff at that time went something like this: “Paul’s just too little. He’s going to be a liability on defense and he’s not a great shooter. They liked Williams better, he’s bigger point guard, but his body type worried them. He didn’t look to be in great shape during the workout. Not sure he’s a good enough shooter for what we need, though.”

What I can say with certainty is that neither Knight nor Woodson was sold on those point guards. That’s why they passed on them. And that’s how the Hawks went from the potential of one of those guys to spending cash for Speedy Claxton (after a failed bid for Sam Cassell’s services in the summer of 2006).

Acting as if Joe Johnson’s desire to play point guard led the Hawks to pass on both Williams and Paul, however, is a complete fabrication (not to mention a figment of DC’s imagination).

While we’re on the topic of point guards, try this crazy scenario out and see how you feel about it now.

The Hawks had a trade on the table during training camp before last season where they could have moved Josh Childress to Toronto for their backup point guard at the time, some guy named Jose Calderon.

Knight was ready to pull the trigger but the Hawks balked at the last minute (why has never been made clear but one of my best spies has always maintained that Knight was prohibited from making the deal by his bosses for reasons my spy refuses to divulge to this day).

Can you imagine how different things might be right now5 if that deal actually went down? Just food for thought while we’re pondering recent history and what might have been.

TURBULENT TIMES: I traded emails with Zaza Pachulia yesterday and he admitted that he’s been stressed since the conflict in his homeland (Georgia) began last week.

He said the situation is “crazy” and that the people back in his homeland are rightfully in a “panic.”

He’s said he’s doing his best to support them from here and is hopeful that the provisional cease-fire of hostilities reached earlier today would lead to peace.

I can’t fathom what he’s going through right now, but if ever a guy needed the support of the people around him, Zaza needs it now (and he said his teammates have been extremely sensitive to that and supportive of him).

ANOTHER GUARD?: The question I’ve gotten more than any other the past 48 hours concerns the Hawks’ roster.

“Are the Hawks done?”

Done is a strong word, this far away from the start of training camp.

It’s clear to me that the Hawks have to add at least one more veteran guard (one who can swing between both positions in a reserve role) to the roster before the season starts, as was written in Saturday’s blog.

I’m not sure who that big guard might be, but that’s clearly what the Hawks need. Another big man never hurts. But if the Hawks had to toe it up tonight, they’d have what they need to compete.

The additions of Thomas Gardner and Othello Hunter should be a warning shot for guys on the fringe of making this roster. There will be new blood floating around training camp and they’ll be hunting for jobs. So if you’re not on safe ground contractually, you better be prepared to fight for your spot.

Some impressions:

The Childress for Calderon trade is confirmed here. As Sekou says, how different would the Hawks be?

Here are my thoughts:

1) no Bibby

2) We still make the playoffs, maybe as high as the 6th seed as Calderon would have been with the team the whole year and is a much better PG than the cast we had prior to Bibby.

3) We wouldn't be talking about why Childress left for Greece

4a) We would be talking about adding a significant piece in FA. The Hawks would have had some cap space to work with and could have agressively pursued a guy like Pietrus.

5) BK might still be the GM! Not sure that is a good outcome...

6) Woody would still be the coach as there is no way that he gets fired after making it in as a 6th seed (assuming 2 is true)

7) We would still be talking about how bad Sheldon Williams is and that blown pick.

4b) Instead of moving all of the expirings and Sheldon for Bibby, the Hawks might have gotten Brad Miller or maybe Troy Murphy. Kills all cap space. But think about how good the Hawks would be with Miller or Murphy playing signicant minutes instead of Zaza or Solo.

All of this is pure conjecture and anything could have happened. At any rate, I would have likeed the Childress for Calderon trade to have occurred.

Some impressions:

The Childress for Calderon trade is confirmed here. As Sekou says, how different would the Hawks be?

Here are my thoughts:

1) no Bibby

2) We still make the playoffs, maybe as high as the 6th seed as Calderon would have been with the team the whole year and is a much better PG than the cast we had prior to Bibby.

3) We wouldn't be talking about why Childress left for Greece

4a) We would be talking about adding a significant piece in FA. The Hawks would have had some cap space to work with and could have agressively pursued a guy like Pietrus.

5) BK might still be the GM! Not sure that is a good outcome...

6) Woody would still be the coach as there is no way that he gets fired after making it in as a 6th seed (assuming 2 is true)

7) We would still be talking about how bad Sheldon Williams is and that blown pick.

4b) Instead of moving all of the expirings and Sheldon for Bibby, the Hawks might have gotten Brad Miller or maybe Troy Murphy. Kills all cap space. But think about how good the Hawks would be with Miller or Murphy playing signicant minutes instead of Zaza or Solo.

All of this is pure conjecture and anything could have happened. At any rate, I would have likeed the Childress for Calderon trade to have occurred.

I dont know how much cap space we would have had. Calderon was a rfa this year as well and got a nice raise from Toronto.

I understand that Doug Collins got it wrong, but does it really matter? In the end he is correct that we screwed up and now have Marvin instead of Paul or Deron. I don't know that this little nuance was worth a whole article.

I think what Sekou is pointing out is that it was the team's EVALUATION of Paul and Deron and NOT JJ that led to Marvin being drafted at #2. I think that is a SIGNIFCANT difference because if indeed JJ had insisted that he be allowed to play point, you could give the team a pass for passing on Paul and Deron.

Think of it this way, if LeBron (or Kobe) becomes a FA and says that he will come to Atlanta but only if he can play PG, would you blame the Hawks if they didn't draft a PG the year they signed him? I wouldn't. Bottom line, BK, Woody and whoever else was involved in the process was wrong to pass on Paul and Williams.

I understand that Doug Collins got it wrong, but does it really matter? In the end he is correct that we screwed up and now have Marvin instead of Paul or Deron. I don't know that this little nuance was worth a whole article.

Its more than that, some of the argument for not taking Paul was that Joe wouldn't have come here if it weren't for some sort of assurance he'd be point guard... that running the point was what made ATL more attractive, not the fact that we were willing to pay him a boatload more than anyone else. Since that wasn't the case, the reason we picked Marv over Paul/Deron is because BK (and apparently Woody) actually liked him better.

The Jose thing is depressing too. I was really hoping to land him because I'd been living in Canada for few years at the time and everyone loved him. I woulda traded Marv or Chil for him but if we could have done just Chil, I would have been thrilled. A lot worse in hindsight too.

I dont know how much cap space we would have had. Calderon was a rfa this year as well and got a nice raise from Toronto.

We would have had plenty of room for Calderon. If we traded for him we wouldn't have Bibby's $15 million on the books.

I don't see how Collins is making the connection between Paul/Deron and JJ since the draft was held first and JJ was a RFA. At the time of the draft as far as the Hawks knew JJ had no interest in Atlanta and that the Suns would match any offers for him anyway.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member
It’s clear to me that the Hawks have to add at least one more veteran guard (one who can swing between both positions in a reserve role) to the roster before the season starts, as was written in Saturday’s blog.

I’m not sure who that big guard might be, but that’s clearly what the Hawks need.

Sekou scooped me. :)

Another big man never hurts. But if the Hawks had to toe it up tonight, they’d have what they need to compete.

Needs to be a veteran who will help the young bigs grow and doesn't mind little playing time. I still say Jake Voskuhl.

The additions of Thomas Gardner and Othello Hunter should be a warning shot for guys on the fringe of making this roster. There will be new blood floating around training camp and they’ll be hunting for jobs. So if you’re not on safe ground contractually, you better be prepared to fight for your spot.

That's good news for Hawks' fans.

How athletic is Othello Hunter? Is he super athletic or above average athletic or just average? Also I saw a comparisson to Bo Outlaw for Hunter which would be a great addition. Is he anything like Bo, a bruiser down low who gets after the boards is just what we need off the bench.

How athletic is Othello Hunter? Is he super athletic or above average athletic or just average? Also I saw a comparisson to Bo Outlaw for Hunter which would be a great addition. Is he anything like Bo, a bruiser down low who gets after the boards is just what we need off the bench.

Hunter isn't very strong and can get pushed around pretty easily, but i don't think he is as weak as Solo.

• Premium Member

He's nothing like Bo Outlaw. He's a runner with decent range, and a good offensive rebounder. He's not a banger in the slightest sense of the word.

That's what Sekou does. He always has to remind everyone that he's an insider and he has info that others don't. "his spies"? come on. Seriously, a whole article? Sekou is a name dropper of the worst kind. He's just another thing that makes it tough to be a Hawks fan.

Why does this matter? Oh, that's right... it doesn't. Why this article instead of one blasting the Hawks for their lack of any kind of concrete plan for success?

And what about this?

It was a fine theory but faulty in practice, as we all saw over the course of Johnson’s first half season in a Hawks uniform. It was way too much pressure on your best player, best defender and clutch-shooter to have to worry about handling the ball that much.

Why is it just too much for Joe and the Hawks and not LeBron and the Cavs? He doesn't even get into it. I've always been of the opinion that Joe could play that way if we had some shooters. Sekou doesn't even attempt to think about how it could work.

And how do you have those notes on Deron and Paul from BK and Woody and not call for their heads every day? He's as poor an excuse for a journalist as they come. Thank God they have professionals for the other two teams. Truth told though, the Hawks and Sekou deserve each other.

Edited by TroyMcClure

Why is it just too much for Joe and the Hawks and not LeBron and the Cavs? He doesn't even get into it. I've always been of the opinion that Joe could play that way if we had some shooters. Sekou doesn't even attempt to think about how it could work.

Are you trying to say we should run our offense like the Cavs? Their offensive "sets" may actually be worse than ours. Basically they are Lebron left, Lebron right and Lebron up the middle. Barkley is always ragging on them because he knows that Lebron should be the finisher. He says they only have one play and run it all game.

It is very hard to be the primary playmaker successfully while also being the primary scorer. Plus as much as i am a fan of JJ bottom line he isn't Lebron.

Edited by exodus

Are you trying to say we should run our offense like the Cavs? Their offensive "sets" may actually be worse than ours. Basically they are Lebron left, Lebron right and Lebron up the middle. Barkley is always ragging on them because he knows that Lebron should be the finisher. He says they only have one play and run it all game.

It is very hard to be the primary playmaker successfully while also being the primary scorer. Plus as much as i am a fan of JJ bottom line he isn't Lebron.

I think Mike Brown beats out Woody handily for worst head coach named "Mike" in the NBA. The Cavs don't run ish, they dont do ish, they just stand around and watch Lebron. I have long wanted to see Lebron work some out of the mid-post. He would be a monster there.

Brown should give 1/2 of his salary to Bron Bron every year because if not for him Brown would never see another head coaching job in the NBA.

You're right about Joe, too. Lebron is one of the kind; there aren't very many players that can handle the kind of load he carries for that team.

Sekou failed to mention that all the rumors of that trade Calderon trade also included us giving up the #11 pick. I like Calderon, but I'd rather have Acie/Childress (assuming we had kept him) than just Calderon. Let's see how Calderon does with a full season as the teams clear #1 PG before we start thinking we missed the boat on him.