• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Chris Paul

DJlaysitup

Alright...truth of the matter...if I were the GM I would not have taken CP3. I would have screwed up just like BK did. I would also not have taken Deron (I thought he was fat and slow) and I wouldn't have taken Marvin. I would have traded down and gotten JJack and another pick or more.

The only reason I wouldn't have taken CP3 was because of the "nut busting" incident. In hindsight I guess we all have to forgive a mistake or two.

If you had it to do all over again - what would you have done?

Alright...truth of the matter...if I were the GM I would not have taken CP3. I would have screwed up just like BK did. I would also not have taken Deron (I thought he was fat and slow) and I wouldn't have taken Marvin. I would have traded down and gotten JJack and another pick or more.

The only reason I wouldn't have taken CP3 was because of the "nut busting" incident. In hindsight I guess we all have to forgive a mistake or two.

I would have taken Paul then (my posts from the period should evidence that) and obviously would do so now.

• Premium Member

I would have taken Chris Paul in a nanosecond and was one of the loudest voices on the board defending that position all summer long. I really wanted to trade down and get him (or Deron) and May, but I would have been fine with CP @ 2.

As we can all see, there is nothing (short of a dominant big man) that affects a team the way a franchise PG does.

Given the choice between the potential in a SF or a PG, I will go PG every time. Espeicaly considering we had fiftylevenhundred SF's.

Edited by Wretch

To be honest my first instinct was to grab Paul with the second pick. Mainly because we needed a true point and Chris was one of the best at Wake the three years he was there. Deron I thought might have been just a one hit wonder because he came on so strong and basically out of no where. Then I started hearing all this hype and potential of young Marv. The kid with the prettiest jumpshot you've seen and at 6'9 he tested through the roof in agility and so on.

Still if I was GM I would've had to send them Paul's name mainly because I got to watch a good amount of games of him at Wake. It's just crazy that both he and Deron are the new face of the NBA as far as point guards go (Nash is getting old). Both are olympians and all-stars for many years to come. Paul and Smoove would've murked cats but there's another question. Would ATL pony up the money to keep three high priced players in CP,Smoove and JJ??

Also, had we of drafted CP there's no way AL would be on this team but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Atleast were not cha/NO fans..remember a certain guy they drafted and traded for Vlade Divac I think his name was Kobe Bryant. Now that's getting raped!!

I wanted to fill one of our holes at pg or C.

1.Paul

2.Bogut

3.Deron

4. Trade down with the Bobcats for thier 2 picks, then Draft Felton and May.

I didn't want Marvin at all, because we already had Smoove, Chilldress, Harrington, Diaw and Donta Smith.

And I didn't see him being in better than the fowards we already had.

Atleast were not cha/NO fans..remember a certain guy they drafted and traded for Vlade Divac I think his name was Kobe Bryant. Now that's getting raped!!

IIRC, Kobe was going to pull a Steve Francis and refuse to play for the Hornets. They were going to get screwed either way, and they only did it because that was the best opportunity they had for a trade.

That said...I would've taken Paul. I knew then that we needed a PG, so I would've just filled the need then. Them drafting Marvin was definitely a shock.

1. D Williams

2. M Williams

3. C Paul

4. Bogut

I was really high on D. Williams and his big body and skills. I thought Bogut would be a serviceable big for years but didn't think he was worth a #1 pick ( I figured he'd be a 12/8 guy or along those lines).

I thought C Paul was a trap pick, lol. I had the same concerns as BK and MWood - he was too small and couldnt shoot, and would be a liability on D. Plus i thought he was a punk for the nut crusher incident (put a plural "s" on that now).

I didnt understand why everyone was so high on Marvin initially, but after hearing how he tested at the combine and hearing all the pundits clamoring on and on about his skills, I figured I must've been wrong. After that I drank the Marvin Kool-Aid and thought it was pretty tasty.

I still wanted Deron first because that was our position of need and I thought he would be ready to contribute right away, but I wasn't too disappointed with the Marv pick at the time. I thought BK would move one of our 17 SF/PF tweeners for something once Marvin became a superstar. Oh well.

But hey we got Horf and Bibbs now and we're movin forward.

Still if I was GM I would've had to send them Paul's name mainly because I got to watch a good amount of games of him at Wake. It's just crazy that both he and Deron are the new face of the NBA as far as point guards go (Nash is getting old). Both are olympians and all-stars for many years to come. Paul and Smoove would've murked cats but there's another question. Would ATL pony up the money to keep three high priced players in CP,Smoove and JJ??

Also, had we of drafted CP there's no way AL would be on this team but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

3 good points uga:

1. As D always says there are 2 main positions in baskestball - ONE and FIVE.

2. CP3 was dynamite in the ACC...so it should have been figured out that he would be great in the NBA.

3. A combination of CP3 and Smoove would be awesome.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I was out of the country for that whole season. So, I really didn't see any of the top pics play. Based on the message boards my list went:

Bogut

D Williams

M Williams

Paul

I was not for trading down as I believed in the idea in basketball you always take superior talent over volume of lessert talent.

I was watching less back then so I like the guy I saw the most in Deron Williams. I didn't want Bogut and only started following Paul more in the tourney where he was admittedly awsome. I had watched a few NC games, including the title game, and literally not noticed Marv.

I'll admit that I wasn't pissed that we took Marv but I also didn't put any time into scouting him and just assumed there was something I missed.

I wanted Bogut or Paul and my old posts will confirm it. I just didn't see the need for yet another small forward.

I would have taken Chris Paul in a nanosecond and was one of the loudest voices on the board defending that position all summer long. I really wanted to trade down and get him (or Deron) and May, but I would have been fine with CP @ 2.

As we can all see, there is nothing (short of a dominant big man) that affects a team the way a franchise PG does.

Given the choice between the potential in a SF or a PG, I will go PG every time. Espeicaly considering we had fiftylevenhundred SF's.

I'll vouch for you on that Wretch. You were one of Paul's biggest supporters and I remember posting this back in 05:

In fact, I'm beginning to agree with Wretch that MAYBE we should take Paul REGARDLESS of who is available at #2, including Bogut (I'm still undecided on that point though). Of all the players in the draft, I think Paul has that "it" which will make him a terific player and COULD allow him to become a star. Worst case, I think he's Mike Bibby or Kevin Johnson. Best case, I think he is somewhere between Steve Nash and Isiah Thomas.

I like Deron Williams' size and D a lot better but overall, I think Paul is going to be the better player. In addition, I think Paul fits better with THIS team. We need a PG who can not only run the team but take his man off the dribble and knock down the open J as well. Paul can DEFINITELY do those things. I think Deron does a great job of running a team and seeing the floor but his J is not as good as Paul's and he can't take his man off the dribble as well either. If we had Ray Allen at SG and Rashard Lewis at SF (2 very good perimeter shooters), I could see going with Williams but that is not the case with this team. A perimeter lineup of Williams, Chillz and Smoove would allow teams to just pack in the lane and cut off drives to the hoop but Paul has the ability to help shoot them out of that kind of D.

My final list right before the draft was:

1. Bogut

2a. Paul

2b. Marvin

4. Deron

Edit - Boy, was I wrong as hell about Deron's J and his ability to take his man off the dribble. He EXCELS at both.

Edited by Traceman

Ideally I wanted the Hawks to try and trade down a slot or two, in order to grab one of the PG's and thereby fill one of our greatest needs. Either Paul or Deron would have been fine by me, but I was leaning more towards Deron. Failing a trade down, I would have taken Marvin. It seemed very simple to me....if there are considered to be two 'top' players in the draft (as there were- Bogut and Marvin were considered to be 1 and 1A) and you've got the second pick, well then you take the guy that the #1 didn't pick, irregardless of the position that player plays. And if ala Marvin Williams that's a forward that you don't really need, well then you can always trade him later, and in theory you'd have a hell of a trading chip. To me that seemed to be the better plan, to take the top rated guy available as opposed to possibly 'reaching' a little bit in order to try and fill a position of true need.

Obviously I was dead wrong on that, but had Marvin developed as he was expected to (and still might, but most likely won't), then that strategy would have worked out a lot better. You see this type of situation over and over again in the NFL draft, and it's a really difficult question for teams to answer. Do you go for what's considered to be the best player available at that slot even if he replicates a position you've already got covered, or do you bypass that guy and make what might be considered a reach to try and fill a position of need?

• Premium Member
I'll vouch for you on that Wretch. You were one of Paul's biggest supporters and I remember posting this back in 05:

My final list right before the draft was:

1. Bogut

2a. Paul

2b. Marvin

4. Deron

Edit - Boy, was I wrong as hell about Deron's J and his ability to take his man off the dribble. He EXCELS at both.

Thanks for the acknowledgement Trace...lol. At least someone remembers the war we fought that summer. I think that's what took it's toll on me, constantly hitting F5 to see who was ready to badmouth the "short" PG with "bad character." One thread, I had to go out and find his stats vs. taller opponents... He was fine and even I was surprised at his rebounding/FT numbers. He often outdid entire front lines! lol

I was really sold when his measurements came out. People were talking like he was like 5'7" in shoes or something.

On a side note, reading Sekou's notes about BK and Woody...you have to wonder how much everyone's perception of Paul being short had to do with their opinion. Or if that was just the general consensus....

Thanks for the acknowledgement Trace...lol. At least someone remembers the war we fought that summer. I think that's what took it's toll on me, constantly hitting F5 to see who was ready to badmouth the "short" PG with "bad character." One thread, I had to go out and find his stats vs. taller opponents... He was fine and even I was surprised at his rebounding/FT numbers. He often outdid entire front lines! lol

I was really sold when his measurements came out. People were talking like he was like 5'7" in shoes or something.

On a side note, reading Sekou's notes about BK and Woody...you have to wonder how much everyone's perception of Paul being short had to do with their opinion. Or if that was just the general consensus....

He certainly was shorter than BK would have liked. I don't know if Woody & Co. shared BK's feelings that he was too small or not but I would say that more than likely they did. They watched him in college, they had the dude in for a workout and they saw his measurements from the combine. They had all the info they needed, in hindsight, they obviously made a bad decision.

Like EDS and others, I also wanted the Hawks to get Chris Paul from jump street (and I have the posts to prove it, too). Nothing he's done, from the tryouts, the regular seasons he's had so far, or the playoff series when he made Jason Kidd look like an old man has changed my opinion.