• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Blackberries

mattlanta

Hey, guys. Just wondering what the best type of blackberry is. I'm looking to get a new phone (I have a RAZR V3 right now) around September 12. I was going to get the Blackberry Curve 8310, but my dad got it, and I don't really want the same phone as he does. And I looked at it, and I didn't really like it in my hands. I was thinking something like the 8820 or the 8800. I do a lot of texting, but I don't browse the internet or whatever. Just wanted to know if anyone knew about blackberries if they could help me out. Thanks. Oh and I'm with Cingular.

Edited by Libid21

Heh. You are just too much Dr. R.

Well, I was going to say get an iPhone on the basis of superiority all the way around; but if you don't browse then thats moot.

I would actually go with the Pearl 8100...if you're just texting and talking. Nice and light and not loaded down. I had this till I wanted an iPhone to do mobile browsing at the restauraunt I work at; then the boss decided to let us bring our computers so I now have an iPhone and a new computer. :/

I was actually advised not to get the pearl, and besides, it's not really something I'd look at. IMO only girls should have small blackberries. BIGGER BLACKBERRIES IS WHERE THE DAWGS IZ AT! But anyways, not sure if it's worth it to get a blackberry still. Don't I have to go with a blackberry rate plan even if I don't want to? Anyways, I don't know if Cingular has any other good text messaging phone... any more suggestions?

I was actually advised not to get the pearl, and besides, it's not really something I'd look at. IMO only girls should have small blackberries. BIGGER BLACKBERRIES IS WHERE THE DAWGS IZ AT! But anyways, not sure if it's worth it to get a blackberry still. Don't I have to go with a blackberry rate plan even if I don't want to? Anyways, I don't know if Cingular has any other good text messaging phone... any more suggestions?

I would wait a little bit since Blackberry is rumored to be coming out with a touch screen model by the beginning of next year. If you can't wait that long, the 9000 series (starting with the Blackberry Bold) should be out very soon. The 9000 series is a huge improvement over the 8000 series since it is 3G. http://na.blackberry.com/eng/

Honestly though for $200 you really can't beat the iPhone for value so that's what I would go with.

Ehh... I don't really need an iPhone. It's basically a smartphone with an iPod, and I already bring my iPod with me wherever I go. And I'm not a big fan of the touch screen. I actually want to feel what I'm texting...

You might not need an iPhone but you're going to pay more to get less of a phone with anything else. You might as well get used to not having a built in keypad since that will be a thing of the past within 2 years tops. Even the new Blackberry's that are coming out next year will have digital keypads.

Dolfan, this isn't about being with the times or whatever... I want a phone I'm comfortable with, and those touch pad things aren't really my brand of cereal in the morning.

I'm not talking about being with the times, I'm just saying that it won't be an option in the near future so why not get used to it now. For me I wouldn't buy another phone without 3G and the iPhone is by far the best 3G phone. I have a Blackberry 8800 and I like it, but browsing the net and downloading email attachments, using GPS, etc. are all excruciatingly slow. To me that's just not worth the money that the phone still costs.

I had one of the older gigantic blackberries before getting the Pearl this year. I love it. I had a RAZR before getting my blackberry and really missed the fact that it was a small phone. The larger blackberry was very inconvenient when you're dressed casual. The Pearl came with a sleeve for when you want to drop the phone in your pocket and a holster as well. I'm sure they are all the same, but mine has a QWERTY keypad, but there are 2 characters per key rather than individual keys. This took a little getting used to, but you actually just type the word like normal and it corrects any typos you might have. Most of the time it gets the words right.

I'm not talking about being with the times, I'm just saying that it won't be an option in the near future so why not get used to it now. For me I wouldn't buy another phone without 3G and the iPhone is by far the best 3G phone. I have a Blackberry 8800 and I like it, but browsing the net and downloading email attachments, using GPS, etc. are all excruciatingly slow. To me that's just not worth the money that the phone still costs.

Heh...someone agreed with me! iphone 3g really is the schtuff.

Another good one (I agree, the Razr SUCKS for typing) is this LG phone, its pretty sweet for texting. Has a nice keypad unlike the Razr....