• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

How important Series.

Diesel

• Premium Member

It was mid year.

JJ was suffering carrying the team alone.

Law hadn't come around.

AJ and Lue had done a credible job of providing scoring from the PG position.

BK made what was effectively, his last official move as Hawks GM...

He brought in Bibby.

Now, aside from the dimetime mess, Bibby has been misunderstood. Many see Bibby as an aging vet PG who is just looking to play a few games, get a few checks, and go home.

However, What is Bibby Really?

Well, he's 29 y.o. That's not so old.

He's very experience... he guided the Kings to many playoff appearances.

He's a floor general at times.

And of what we have seen, we have only seen a glimpse of what he can do. He played hurt for us most of the season and the rest of the time, he was just learning the team.

I heard JJ say it's important that everybody come to camp this year.

JJ is on a mission.. but that mission will work if Bibby is up and going.

I just imagine, what would this team be like with a healthy Bibby who has gelled with the team and helps give the team an offensive identity?

Scary!!

The thing is Bibby makes a lot of money and this is the last year of his contract.

If you're talking championship windown, unless we can re-sign him... this is it. Bibby would make for good trade bait.

Sund will have to consider that as the season goes forward. How much of a chance do you give Bibs? Or do you trade him for other needs?

How important is Bibby to the success of this years Hawks?

and how will he be important... as starting PG or as trade material?

Very important! Having been a bigtime Kings fans back in the early 2000s, my and my buddy literally teared up when we heard Bibby was traded to the Hawks. If I could have picked 4 players on our team to get rid of, those are the 4 I would have picked to trade for Bibby (man I can't stand Lue!).

My wish would be for Bibby to have a healthy and very productive year this year, and then have the Hawks sign him for a reasonable amount. Not nearly as much as he's currently making, but something respectable. Maybe for 4 more years.

I really liked the Bibby trade because we got an established vet for trash. That said, I think it's obvious that Bibby is not what he used to be - he really benefited from a "perfect storm" of Adelman's offense (which was perfect for his skill set) and the high post skills of C Webber. That's not to take anything away from vintage Bibby, he was SO clutch then.

It's obvious he helps JJ a lot by spreading out the floor and keeping help honest, but it's hard to say what his long-term future is. I don't think it's with the Hawks though. I dont think he will be traded, either; the Hawks are already up against it with Marv, JJ and Horf all set to re-up in the next couple of years (and Chillz still outstanding).

Any trade the Hawks make they will be taking back salary on, so I think they will look to either (a) sign Bibby back at a major pay cut or (b) just let him walk his 14 mil right off the books. I'm sure Hawks brass is hoping for Acie Law to be ready to take the reigns so that (b) is a viable option.

The first half of the season is huge for AC. If he is showing signs of being the future, I expect Bibby to play out his contract. If he isn't showing much, maybe the Hawks shop Bibb for another (ugh) point solution and a trade exception/pick.

Edited by jhay610

I really liked the Bibby trade because we got an established vet for trash. That said, I think it's obvious that Bibby is not what he used to be - he really benefited from a "perfect storm" of Adelman's offense (which was perfect for his skill set) and the high post skills of C Webber. That's not to take anything away from vintage Bibby, he was SO clutch then.

It's obvious he helps JJ a lot by spreading out the floor and keeping help honest, but it's hard to say what his long-term future is. I don't think it's with the Hawks though. I dont think he will be traded, either; the Hawks are already up against it with Marv, JJ and Horf all set to re-up in the next couple of years (and Chillz still outstanding).

Any trade the Hawks make they will be taking back salary on, so I think they will look to either (a) sign Bibby back at a major pay cut or (b) just let him walk his 14 mil right off the books. I'm sure Hawks brass is hoping for Acie Law to be ready to take the reigns so that (b) is a viable option.

The first half of the season is huge for AC. If he is showing signs of being the future, I expect Bibby to play out his contract. If he isn't showing much, maybe the Hawks shop Bibb for another (ugh) point solution and a trade exception/pick.

If Acie doesn't make a huge jump this year, they'll find a way to bring Bibby back. And if they do that, they may let Marvin go, if he doesn't become a highly efficient player.

4yrs - 40 million too much for Bibby?

Making the playoffs was the goal. I don't think we would have made it without him last year and I doubt we would this year either. I'm all for Law improving and playing significant minutes, but I think Bibby is necessary for our playoff hopes.

• Premium Member

If we run the pick and roll with Bibby everyone here will realize how valuable he is. He is a GREAT P&R player and has been his #1 move for his entire tenure in the NBA. I would say he's easily a top 10 P&R player.

If we run the pick and roll with Bibby everyone here will realize how valuable he is. He is a GREAT P&R player and has been his #1 move for his entire tenure in the NBA. I would say he's easily a top 10 P&R player.

a pick and roll isn't a Joe Johnson isolation so it doesn't matter. Acie would have been more successful too if we ran pick and rolls. I always wished we'd run that.

a pick and roll isn't a Joe Johnson isolation so it doesn't matter. Acie would have been more successful too if we ran pick and rolls. I always wished we'd run that.

Exactly. He might be great at the pick and roll, but this team doesn't have any offense outside of just giving JJ the ball and letting him try to go 1 on 5, so it doesn't really matter.

At this point I honestly think the best thing for this team would be to have them suck horribly out of the gate just so that Woody might get canned allowing a passable coach to come in and salvage the season.

• Premium Member

True. I'm glad somebody said it. We could easily pick and roll opposing teams to death on the perimeter. You kinda have to blame Woody for that one. But I truly believe that Bibby has a lot left in the tank. I can't stress enough how important the guy was during the second half of last season. People can downplay it all they want, but the addition of Bibby was HUGE for us, even though he was injured. He's was a better distributor AND shooter than AJ and Lue and added leadership at the PG position the likes of which hasn't been seen since the Mookster was here. A healthy Bibby is a top 5 PG in this league. We NEED this guy in order for us to make the Playoffs next season.

True. I'm glad somebody said it. We could easily pick and roll opposing teams to death on the perimeter. You kinda have to blame Woody for that one. But I truly believe that Bibby has a lot left in the tank. I can't stress enough how important the guy was during the second half of last season. People can downplay it all they want, but the addition of Bibby was HUGE for us, even though he was injured. He's was a better distributor AND shooter than AJ and Lue and added leadership at the PG position the likes of which hasn't been seen since the Mookster was here. A healthy Bibby is a top 5 PG in this league. We NEED this guy in order for us to make the Playoffs next season.

even when healthy Bibby isn't that good. He was once great,is still good but his time is passing him. He was never an All-Star yet people act like he's an All-Star PG. Bibby is who he is because he's arguably the best shooting PG in the NBA,still to this day. but when it comes to a floor general running the team if I could pick any PG, Mike Bibby doesn't even pop into my head for a second.

Edited by Cwell

Yeah, but with JJ handling the ball so much, I think it can be a good relationship. Almost like having two combo-guards. Eh, scratch that, I don't really like trying to pigeon hole a PG as this or that type. I just like Bibby and I think his game can work well for the Hawks.

Yeah, but with JJ handling the ball so much, I think it can be a good relationship. Almost like having two combo-guards. Eh, scratch that, I don't really like trying to pigeon hole a PG as this or that type. I just like Bibby and I think his game can work well for the Hawks.

It will work. I believe Bibby will shine and looked upon as a present star. I'm excited when we line up Joe at the three with Flip or Mo at the two.

• Premium Member
even when healthy Bibby isn't that good. He was once great,is still good but his time is passing him. He was never an All-Star yet people act like he's an All-Star PG. Bibby is who he is because he's arguably the best shooting PG in the NBA,still to this day. but when it comes to a floor general running the team if I could pick any PG, Mike Bibby doesn't even pop into my head for a second.

We all have our opinions, and I respect yours Cwell. But 15 and 6 is pretty darn good out of a hobbled PG. We haven't gotten that type of production out of the PG slot in years. JT at his best had a 17 and 7 season. Mookie at his best was a 17 and 6 guy, with the added benefit of playing some of the grittiest man to man defense I've ever seen.

It was mid year.

JJ was suffering carrying the team alone.

Law hadn't come around.

AJ and Lue had done a credible job of providing scoring from the PG position.

BK made what was effectively, his last official move as Hawks GM...

He brought in Bibby.

Now, aside from the dimetime mess, Bibby has been misunderstood. Many see Bibby as an aging vet PG who is just looking to play a few games, get a few checks, and go home.

However, What is Bibby Really?

Well, he's 29 y.o. That's not so old.

He's very experience... he guided the Kings to many playoff appearances.

He's a floor general at times.

And of what we have seen, we have only seen a glimpse of what he can do. He played hurt for us most of the season and the rest of the time, he was just learning the team.

I heard JJ say it's important that everybody come to camp this year.

JJ is on a mission.. but that mission will work if Bibby is up and going.

I just imagine, what would this team be like with a healthy Bibby who has gelled with the team and helps give the team an offensive identity?

Scary!!

The thing is Bibby makes a lot of money and this is the last year of his contract.

If you're talking championship windown, unless we can re-sign him... this is it. Bibby would make for good trade bait.

Sund will have to consider that as the season goes forward. How much of a chance do you give Bibs? Or do you trade him for other needs?

How important is Bibby to the success of this years Hawks?

and how will he be important... as starting PG or as trade material?

All you have to do is watch the Boston series to see how crappy Mike is. Getting owned a rookie and adding nearly nothing to the series. Oh yeah, he brings the entire defense down.

Bibby is important to the team in that he's that necessary vet that can take the ball out of JJ's hands for a while.

In terms of offense, when the Hawks run the high PnR with JJ and Bibby last season it was successufl. In fact, they ran it well during the playoffs as well.

Mike can also pass, sometimes he tries to make too much of a difficult pass, but at least he passes the ball (unlike Lue and AJ). Mike also can push the tempo, unlike Lue and AJ.

The reality is that Mike Bibby got the Hawks to the playoffs last year. The team was wallowing before Mike got here, but played much better offensively once he came.

That's the good part of Mike Bibby.

The bad is that he is one of the worst defensive PGs I have seen. When the Hawks traded for Mike we had a pretty good defensive team. After Mike got here, we blew.

In terms of value THIS season, Bibby is probably the #3 or 4 most important player. If he stays relatively healthy he can guide the offense. Second, he provides that necessary bridge for Law to show that he's ready to be an NBA PG. Third, Bibby's contract is going to be valuable up until the trade deadline. There are a lot of teams that might like to clear 15 million or so off the books come the end of the season. Let's see what that sort of contract can bring in.