• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Juicy Rumor for Hawks fans....

Diesel

• Premium Member
The Atlanta Hawks are trying to move Solomon Jones, according to a league source, simply to create some roster room to possible add another guaranteed contract before training camps get under way at the end of September.

link... this should work for you

We move a BU PF/C in order to sign one more guaranteed contract?

According to the rumor, this is to clear up "roster room". That's not capspace. However, it is one less salary that they would have to pay. I'm guessing Solo for a 2nd is what's being floated.

Edited by Diesel

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

link

We move a BU PF/C in order to sign one more guaranteed contract?

According to the rumor, this is to clear up "roster room". That's not capspace. However, it is one less salary that they would have to pay. I'm guessing Solo for a 2nd is what's being floated.

Sounds like we might be looking to make a deal by trading a better player for multiple lesser players. It will be interesting to see if this actually happens. If I had to guess I'd say that Bibby would be the most likely piece we try to trade.

Sounds like we might be looking to make a deal by trading a better player for multiple lesser players. It will be interesting to see if this actually happens. If I had to guess I'd say that Bibby would be the most likely piece we try to trade.

I'm not sure how you surmised that from this article.

I'm not sure how you surmised that from this article.

Because if we are looking to clear up a roster spot then either A) we are trading a draft pick to acquire a player (not likely) or B) we are looking to move 1 or more players while bringing back 1 more player than we send out, thus needing an extra roster spot. Considering that in order to get extra players back in a deal we would need to trade the better player and/or bigger contract, Bibby makes the most sense.

Because if we are looking to clear up a roster spot then either A) we are trading a draft pick to acquire a player (not likely) or B) we are looking to move 1 or more players while bringing back 1 more player than we send out, thus needing an extra roster spot. Considering that in order to get extra players back in a deal we would need to trade the better player and/or bigger contract, Bibby makes the most sense.

I see what you're saying now. Man that would really suck if we were to trade Bibby.

I see what you're saying now. Man that would really suck if we were to trade Bibby.

I agree. Without a bonifide star PG, we need not trade Bibby. I can see (hope) it be a Solo and '09/'10 second round pick for a Camby or Miller or even Curry. Whatever it be good, it would push us past the cap. But Bibby is the guy with the ball.

I agree. Without a bonifide star PG, we need not trade Bibby. I can see (hope) it be a Solo and '09/'10 second round pick for a Camby or Miller or even Curry. Whatever it be good, it would push us past the cap. But Bibby is the guy with the ball.

We can only take back 125% plus $100,000 of the salary that we send out so we couldn't trade a small contract like Solo and get back a big money player.

I'd prefer to hang onto Bibby as well, but he's since he's really not part of our core and he likely doesn't have a long future with us and he has an expiring deal it makes him the most likely candidate to be moved.

By "Clear-up" a roster spot dont they mean they want to get rid of a player or two for no or less players? Or am I reading this wrong.

No because they said we are looking to clear up a spot so that we can add a guaranteed roster spot. It might be someone with the rest of our MLE but that's only viable if they believe that the rest of our bottom of the roster guys are more valuable than Solo, which could be the case.

• Admin
No because they said we are looking to clear up a spot so that we can add a guaranteed roster spot. It might be someone with the rest of our MLE but that's only viable if they believe that the rest of our bottom of the roster guys are more valuable than Solo, which could be the case.

I think Bibby is definetely a part of our core. Without him I don't think we will make the playoffs. I have not seen anything from Law to let me know that he is ready to handle running a team (he was so turnover prone and bad fg% in summer league of all things). We have to get a pg in return if Bibby is to be traded. At the same time I don't think he expects to get the same kind of money he got with his last contract so I also would not be surprised for us to resign him in the offseason.

Who would want Bibby? Cleveland doesn't look like an option now. I doubt SA would be interested.....

What about the Knicks? They are looking to dump more salary to get under the cap in 09.

The Knicks have really nothing I want, but maybe its something like Curry and Lee for Bibby?

Another option might be Chicago in a package for Hinrich + filler. This could make sense as it clears out Kirk's big-ish deal and paves the way for Rose taking over when he's ready either 1/2 way through the season or at the end of the year. This might also give the Bulls enough flexibility to resign Gordon.

• Premium Member
All it really means is that they want to dump Solo. They can't cut him because his contract is guaranteed.

I bet they want to add a more legit big man (vet).

BTW, I called this. :)

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....howtopic=333090

Solomon Jones...who likely has next to no value. Perhaps a rebuilding team out west might want him. Memphis or OKC might give a protected 2nd rounder for him.