• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Juicy Rumor for Hawks fans....

Diesel

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some are suggesting that by dumping Solo, that gives us one extra spot to bring back multiple players if we were to trade someone with a big contract, a la Bibby.

Oh ok that about clears it up, but i think its highly doubtful that we make a move between now and camp with Bibby. Probably just trade Solo for a 2nd then sign a veteran backup forward.... Donyell Marshall?

I think you guys are reaching adding Bibby to this scenario. It reads to me the Hawks would rather not honor Solo's Guaranteed contract. Droping Solo for another desired guaranteed salary or the option (flexebility) to Guarantee a player.

We don't need to dump Solo in order to add another guaranteed contract, which is why I see this as being a prelude to something larger. It might even be a situation where we get back 2 extra players in the deal.

Oh ok that about clears it up, but i think its highly doubtful that we make a move between now and camp with Bibby. Probably just trade Solo for a 2nd then sign a veteran backup forward.... Donyell Marshall?

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. Donyell Marshall... never was a big fan. How old is that guy by now?

i don't think bibby has anything to do with this...i think we want to trade solo for a high 2nd pick and then use that cash plus whatever is left to bring in one more free agent.

Trading him won't help get us more money to spend since we're already over the salary cap, although it will get us a little further under the luxury tax and will keep more dollars in the owners pockets.

Our true GM (Gearon) said that Woody deserved the chance to coach this team for a full season. That, to me, says that Woody deserves the chance to coach the team with Bibby for a whole year. So I think Bibby is definitely starting the season in a Hawks uniform.

If Sund is looking to move Solo, it is likely because he doesn't want more than 12 guaranteed contracts entering the veteran's camp and needs to move Solo to offer a more proven veteran a deal. And I'm guessing that he is looking at a big. Mbenga? Josh Powell? (I'm also assuming that 1 or 2 of the undrafted FAs that were invited to the camp will get a guaranteed deal, giving us 13-14 players for the season).

Our true GM (Gearon) said that Woody deserved the chance to coach this team for a full season. That, to me, says that Woody deserves the chance to coach the team with Bibby for a whole year. So I think Bibby is definitely starting the season in a Hawks uniform.

If Sund is looking to move Solo, it is likely because he doesn't want more than 12 guaranteed contracts entering the veteran's camp and needs to move Solo to offer a more proven veteran a deal. And I'm guessing that he is looking at a big. Mbenga? Josh Powell? (I'm also assuming that 1 or 2 of the undrafted FAs that were invited to the camp will get a guaranteed deal, giving us 13-14 players for the season).

Believing Gearon is like believing their were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq before the 2nd Gulf War...

Edited by frosgrim

• Premium Member
We don't need to dump Solo in order to add another guaranteed contract

I don't agree at all.

Most likely, Sund would just like to bring in a player that he feels is actually worthy of a roster spot without having to waive Jones.

• Premium Member

No way Bibby gets traded before the season starts. We don't have a proven backup to take his place. As bad as he was in the Boston series (Rondo was a terrible matchup for him), he helped us a ton last year. Plus, his index was taped to his thumb the entire time, so I'm sure they want to see him healthy first.

Plus, there's no reason to trade him now. He'll have much more value at the deadline for teams looking to clear cap, or a better team trying to get that last piece for a playoff run.

I don't agree at all.

Most likely, Sund would just like to bring in a player that he feels is actually worthy of a roster spot without having to waive Jones.

Let me rephrase what I meant when I made that statement.

We aren't required to drop Solo since we can keep him and add another guaranteed contract.

Whether or not he deserves a roster spot is up for debate but I tend to lean towards thinking he can offer some valuable minutes blocking shots and picking up fouls and considering the lack of shotblocking that we have after Josh Smith that's not a throw away skill for us.

• Premium Member
I still dont understand where in this article, does this mean Bibby maybe leaving. All I see is that Solo maybe dumped in a trade for like a 2nd rounder and then we will sign another (hopefully) better player to take his spot.

That's because it doesn't.

I took it to mean that they just want to dump Solo without having to pay him.

That's why I said probably Solo for a 2nd round pick...

I don't understand Dol's guesswork.

• Premium Member
We don't need to dump Solo in order to add another guaranteed contract, which is why I see this as being a prelude to something larger. It might even be a situation where we get back 2 extra players in the deal.

Roster spot is different than a cap move.

I think Wood is fed up with Solo and wants him gone.

• Premium Member
Let me rephrase what I meant when I made that statement.

We aren't required to drop Solo since we can keep him and add another guaranteed contract.

Whether or not he deserves a roster spot is up for debate but I tend to lean towards thinking he can offer some valuable minutes blocking shots and picking up fouls and considering the lack of shotblocking that we have after Josh Smith that's not a throw away skill for us.

I agree. He actually put in some good minutes closing the halves in the Boston series. He was a force defensively around the basket. Plus, he has a decent midrange jumper when he's open.

That's because it doesn't.

I took it to mean that they just want to dump Solo without having to pay him.

That's why I said probably Solo for a 2nd round pick...

I don't understand Dol's guesswork.

I'm confused, I thought tht Solo's contract wasn't guaranteed. I guess it is though.

Anyway, I agree with you, the best we could get is a 2nd rounder from a contender, no team should give up a high 2nd for a guy like Solomon.

Edited by atl_fan

What does it say about your career when Randolph Morris makes you expendable?

If the team is serious about winning it should sign a veteran big man to play some minutes in the event that Horford or Smith miss any time. Best guy left is Juwan Howard. After that, maybe Donyell Marshall or Robert Horry (though both look done to me). None of these guys should be expected to play big/medium minutes for an extended basis, but they are still better options then anything on the Hawks bench right now.

What does it say about your career when Randolph Morris makes you expendable?

If the team is serious about winning it should sign a veteran big man to play some minutes in the event that Horford or Smith miss any time. Best guy left is Juwan Howard. After that, maybe Donyell Marshall or Robert Horry (though both look done to me). None of these guys should be expected to play big/medium minutes for an extended basis, but they are still better options then anything on the Hawks bench right now.

we need bigs not tall perimeter guys.and Juwan Howard hasn't done a thing for how long now? better options my azz

Edited by Cwell

I still dont understand where in this article, does this mean Bibby maybe leaving. All I see is that Solo maybe dumped in a trade for like a 2nd rounder and then we will sign another (hopefully) better player to take his spot.

That's my take. I think they likely want to get rid of Solo and have another guy they are interested in signing. Still wonder if it might be Robt Swift, a guy he drafted . . . . although I don't think he makes much sense for us.