• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ed Stefanski (Sixers GM) on Smoove now

Swish

Asked why the Sixers never made an offer to Josh Smith, after courting him, Stefanski said the Sixers love Smith, but suspected the Hawks would match any offer they made. They had also never been certain who might enter unrestricted free agency, and were thrilled when Elton Brand entered the market. Asked later if he thought the Hawks got Smith at a bargain rate, Stefanski said he thought the Hawks were very pleased to have been able to match an offer to Smith, instead of negotiating themselves.

Via TrueHoop

Of course they are happy they don't have to negotiate because we would have still been waiting on a deal to get completed. I still don't think Memphis really wanted Smooth but got involve to get this deal done on behalf of the Hawks or NBA.

I wondered about this as well. My take is that it was a favor done for Smith's agent. Now Memphis has some bargining favors to call in. The second option is that Memphis decided to take a flyer since the ASG seemed to be stalled or at least vulnrable. There really was no harm in making the offer from the Grizzlie's point of view.

I've been impressed so far with Stefanski.

I don't have a problem with him but I think luck has a lot to do with his situation. He came to one of a few teams with alot of cap room this off season. Then one of the premier power forwards opts of his contract and wants to come back to the east coast. He overpayed for Iggy (IMO.) One thing I can say is he didn't lose any of his FAs.

• Premium Member
I don't have a problem with him but I think luck has a lot to do with his situation. He came to one of a few teams with alot of cap room this off season. Then one of the premier power forwards opts of his contract and wants to come back to the east coast. He overpayed for Iggy (IMO.) One thing I can say is he didn't lose any of his FAs.

Well, I don't think all of Iggy's deal is guaranteed.

Also, Stefanski's trade of Korver is what allowed the Sixers to get Brand. They had insignificant cap space before that trade.

Well, I don't think all of Iggy's deal is guaranteed.

Also, Stefanski's trade of Korver is what allowed the Sixers to get Brand. They had insignificant cap space before that trade.

True. Sometimes it is the small deals that set up the big ones. Getting lucky doesn't hurts either.

• Premium Member

Doesn't most teams? I agree that is good for the Hawks ownership to save millions on Smoove's contract BUT I hope it is over and Smoove and the team move forward, we don't need a disgruntled star on the team.

I don't give a flip as a fan what the Hawks have to pay for a player, I want the team to win period.

I wondered about this as well. My take is that it was a favor done for Smith's agent. Now Memphis has some bargining favors to call in. The second option is that Memphis decided to take a flyer since the ASG seemed to be stalled or at least vulnrable. There really was no harm in making the offer from the Grizzlie's point of view.

You may have the hammer headed on the nail with that one. Wallace Prather is one of Josh's agents and is Javaris Crittenton's agent. Reportedly Memphis and Orlando are talking. Wallace knows Dwight well too.

Of course they are happy they don't have to negotiate because we would have still been waiting on a deal to get completed. I still don't think Memphis really wanted Smooth but got involve to get this deal done on behalf of the Hawks or NBA.

My question would be...if the Grizz didn't havea "glint" of hope - why would they make the offer? Of course it could have been a setup - but I can't see the ASG being that smart.

I may have missed some stuff (it's been a heckuva week at work)...but does anybody know the details of Smoove's contract? Key being - does he have an opt out?...and if so....when?