• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hunter enters the season as first PF off bench?

sturt

• Premium Member

http://www.ajc.com/wireless/content/sports...ard_center.html

It's a huge leap to go from undrafted rookie summer league contributor to right behind Smoove on the depth chart.

Hunter was good, but I think he still has to earn that spot. Solo might have decided to skip summer league, but he's been good enough to stick on the roster for a couple of years and to log some meaningful minutes from time to time.

Not saying that Hunter is not capable, but I think Sekou's presumed too much. I can't think that it's likely that Hunter will outplay Jones at this stage.

Also, I'm not certain that West even has a place on the team any longer. The SF position has evolved over the years so that a 6-5 guy is just not going to compete for a job at SF. I remain skeptical that Evans, the annointed Chilz successor, will log very many minutes at that slot. When Marvelous is out, I think it's more reasonable to see Smoove, Horford, and ZaZa as the front line.

Good points. I too am skeptical on Hunter. To me it is more likely that when Smoove gets his two fouls for the rest of the half Woody plays Morris/Horford/Williams as the frontline and when Williams is out I do think Evans will get the PT. He's way too short, sure, but what else do you do? I mean, do you really want Smoove shamelessly chucking 3's?

With Horford/Smoove/Morris/Zaza here, who are all better than Hunter and/or Jones, I have to disagree with Sekou. I don't think Solomon will log many minutes at all.

Interesting he once again said the offseason moves are over. Think he knows really?

http://www.ajc.com/wireless/content/sports...ard_center.html

It's a huge leap to go from undrafted rookie summer league contributor to right behind Smoove on the depth chart.

Hunter was good, but I think he still has to earn that spot. Solo might have decided to skip summer league, but he's been good enough to stick on the roster for a couple of years and to log some meaningful minutes from time to time.

Not saying that Hunter is not capable, but I think Sekou's presumed too much. I can't think that it's likely that Hunter will outplay Jones at this stage.

Also, I'm not certain that West even has a place on the team any longer. The SF position has evolved over the years so that a 6-5 guy is just not going to compete for a job at SF. I remain skeptical that Evans, the annointed Chilz successor, will log very many minutes at that slot. When Marvelous is out, I think it's more reasonable to see Smoove, Horford, and ZaZa as the front line.

This article is another example of Sekou really not knowing the team he covers. What is likely is a 3 man rotation at the 2/3 of JJ ,,Marvin, and Mo Evans with JJ logging minutes at the 3. What is likely at the 4/5 spots is a 3 man rotation of Smoove , Horf, and Zaza with Horf logging minutes at the 4. Smoove will also see a few minutes at the 3 at some points. The other guys will fill the gaps but probably not play any major role at least early in the season.

Just like the artilce before about guards, he didn't say anything. Like it was to fill space. Not impressed generally, but I am glad to hear his optimism.

I believe Sekou writes to a wider audience than the message board experts. It is understandable for you not be impressed but the forth grade teacher that knows nothing about "Hawksquawk" the information may be beneficial.

Read My Post's and be impressed. :smile:

This article is another example of Sekou really not knowing the team he covers. What is likely is a 3 man rotation at the 2/3 of JJ ,,Marvin, and Mo Evans with JJ logging minutes at the 3. What is likely at the 4/5 spots is a 3 man rotation of Smoove , Horf, and Zaza with Horf logging minutes at the 4. Smoove will also see a few minutes at the 3 at some points. The other guys will fill the gaps but probably not play any major role at least early in the season.

Pretty much. The PF rotation will be

1 Smith

2 Horford

3 Hunter (maybe)

As a side note there were teams who offered to pick Hunter in the 2nd round but Hunter and his agent declined, deciding to go the free agent route instead. At least that is the word from his agent.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member
What is likely is a 3 man rotation at the 2/3 of JJ ,,Marvin, and Mo Evans with JJ logging minutes at the 3. What is likely at the 4/5 spots is a 3 man rotation of Smoove , Horf, and Zaza with Horf logging minutes at the 4. Smoove will also see a few minutes at the 3 at some points. The other guys will fill the gaps but probably not play any major role at least early in the season.

That's reasonable.

Othello Hunter is light years ahead of Solomon Jones on offense. If he can play even average defense (which is about what Solo gave, but with lots of shot blocking) I will be happy to have him as a backup.

I agree we will be more likely to see Smith, then Horford, and then Hunter as you guys suggested. Also, that JJ is likely to be the backup at SF, considering all the depth we have at PG and SG (until Speedy, Acie and Bibby get hurt).

• Premium Member
Pretty much. The PF rotation will be

1 Smith

2 Horford

3 Hunter (maybe)

As a side note there were teams who offered to pick Hunter in the 2nd round but Hunter and his agent declined, deciding to go the free agent route instead. At least that is the word from his agent.

I think Marvin will play some at PF before Othello will.

I think Marvin will play some at PF before Othello will.

Maybe, but it isn't like we have a lot of backup 3s. The only other player we have that is actually effective at the 3 is JJ.

Bottom line is the only way hunter sees decent minutes is if Smith or Horford gets hurt.

I believe Sekou writes to a wider audience than the message board experts. It is understandable for you not be impressed but the forth grade teacher that knows nothing about "Hawksquawk" the information may be beneficial.

Read My Post's and be impressed. :smile:

Agreed. Just frustrates me because it sure would be nice to get some good info about anything that is going on . . . . which may be nothing.

I think it will be very interesting when we play small ball and turn up the tempo. I hope we do this, because I think our personnel really dictate this kind of play. That would be exciting and hopefully we have a couple guys now that can come off the bench and score.

This is off draftnet: Please note many of what they address as his strengths are not what Solo brings to the court.

Strengths: Hard working and high energy player ... Very athletic, long and extremely active ... Has a good nose for the action, allowing him to get his hands on a lot of loose balls ... Reads open spaces well and as a result is a recipient of many drive & dishes ... Has great hands and is able to use them to corral passes that seem to be completely out of reach ... Capable of stepping out to about 17 feet and knocking down spot up jumpers ... Works extremely hard to fight for position in the post ... Possesses a nice half hook with both hands, although he prefers to spin to his left hand ... He is absolutely relentless on the glass; especially on the offensive end where he keeps balls alive with numerous tips ... Runs the floor well and is capable of finishing in emphatic fashion ... His length and leaping ability make him a tremendous threat as a weak-side shot-blocker ... Should make an excellent role player due to his blue collar approach and high motor

Plus he came from a major school as opposed to Solo and I think has played organized ball longer than him. Solo has a highmotor but often times doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

Edited by DrReality

This is off draftnet: Please note many of what they address as his strengths are not what Solo brings to the court.

Strengths: Hard working and high energy player ... Very athletic, long and extremely active ... Has a good nose for the action, allowing him to get his hands on a lot of loose balls ... Reads open spaces well and as a result is a recipient of many drive & dishes ... Has great hands and is able to use them to corral passes that seem to be completely out of reach ... Capable of stepping out to about 17 feet and knocking down spot up jumpers ... Works extremely hard to fight for position in the post ... Possesses a nice half hook with both hands, although he prefers to spin to his left hand ... He is absolutely relentless on the glass; especially on the offensive end where he keeps balls alive with numerous tips ... Runs the floor well and is capable of finishing in emphatic fashion ... His length and leaping ability make him a tremendous threat as a weak-side shot-blocker ... Should make an excellent role player due to his blue collar approach and high motor

Plus he came from a major school as opposed to Solo and I think has played organized ball longer than him. Solo has a highmotor but often times doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

My big reservation about Hunter is that he just isn't very strong. He is probably stronger than Solo but i would say he will definitely have trouble holding position on defense.

My big reservation about Hunter is that he just isn't very strong. He is probably stronger than Solo but i would say he will definitely have trouble holding position on defense.

I agree that Hunter will need to get stronger. What I like about him is that he seems to have real skills as opposed to raw athletic ability like Solo. He excelled in the Orlando pre draft camps as well as the summer league and appears to be a late bloomer as a player. I think the Hawks may have got lucky and stumbled accross a guy that can play.

Actually, the Hawks invited Hunter to summer league, so I wouldn't call it 'luck' if it works out.

With the history in Atlanta any good break the Hawks get would be luck in my book. Or maybe its karma finally starting to favor the Hawks after so many years.

I think it will be very interesting when we play small ball and turn up the tempo. I hope we do this, because I think our personnel really dictate this kind of play. That would be exciting and hopefully we have a couple guys now that can come off the bench and score.

Small Ball:

Speedy

Bibby

Flip

Mo

Josh

Now that's small ball.

Othello Hunter is light years ahead of Solomon Jones on offense. If he can play even average defense (which is about what Solo gave, but with lots of shot blocking) I will be happy to have him as a backup.

I agree we will be more likely to see Smith, then Horford, and then Hunter as you guys suggested. Also, that JJ is likely to be the backup at SF, considering all the depth we have at PG and SG (until Speedy, Acie and Bibby get hurt).

Agreed BT...I have only seen O.Hunter a couple times for the Buckeyes but he is 6'8"-225...and a tough guy. I don't know if he will be another Ryan Gomes - but 6'8" and strong ain't bad. I think Solo has missed his chance - toughness is required in the NBA.

It will be interesting to see Solo and Harrington duke it out in camp knowing they are battling for a spot.

It looks like the last guy on our bench this year will be considerably better than the end one last year.

Last years bottom three on the bench may indeed not make thr team.