• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Job Advice

mattlanta

Hey, guys. I just found out that there's not going to be any fall baseball this year because there weren't enough kids that signed up in my age division. So I was thinking about getting a job somewhere. My top three lists are K-Mart, CVS, and Adam's (a grocery store). I'm 16, and I've never had any work experience before. However, I have volunteered about two years ago almost every weekend for about three or four months at a convalescent home where my mom works. I'd like to know if you guys can offer any advice or anything on what type of job to get and whatnot.

I'm looking to be able to have some pocket change, but most importantly this is for helping my mom out. I don't want to go into the details, but my mom has to end up paying for two tuition bills of $30,000 (total of $60K). Basically, my high school bill along with my sister's isn't cheap either, and lunch prices have gone higher again at school, so mostly my money will be going towards my lunch money and to my mom. I was thinking of giving my mom half of my salary if I were to get a job right now.

Hey, guys. I just found out that there's not going to be any fall baseball this year because there weren't enough kids that signed up in my age division. So I was thinking about getting a job somewhere. My top three lists are K-Mart, CVS, and Adam's (a grocery store). I'm 16, and I've never had any work experience before. However, I have volunteered about two years ago almost every weekend for about three or four months at a convalescent home where my mom works. I'd like to know if you guys can offer any advice or anything on what type of job to get and whatnot.

I'm looking to be able to have some pocket change, but most importantly this is for helping my mom out. I don't want to go into the details, but my mom has to end up paying for two tuition bills of $30,000 (total of $60K). Basically, my high school bill along with my sister's isn't cheap either, and lunch prices have gone higher again at school, so mostly my money will be going towards my lunch money and to my mom. I was thinking of giving my mom half of my salary if I were to get a job right now.

Well if you have access to a car then by far the best job to earn a little change would be delivering pizzas. At least that's been my experience when I was your age. Plus you aren't stuck in a building and can just cruise around listening to music and you get free pizza!! It's pretty common for you to earn between 12-15 bucks an hour with tips and without a skill it's tough to beat that.

• Premium Member

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to go on to college (at some point).... Then you probably would do best going to work for CVS. If you go to CVS, then you can try to work your way into the pharmacy. If you go on to college, then get a few years experience at CVS and then try to get a Pharmacy Technician's certification (it's gets you between $11 and $12 per hour to have one, but it opens up doors). It's really cheap and easy to get. IF you get that, you will get a major bump in salary and you will be able to swing part time while you're in college. My guess is that with experience and part time work, you'd be able to count on 25K easy. Plus, it's the Pharmacist, the Pharm Tech's and the PA's that get all the perks when the Pharm reps come around. The other perk is that CVS probably have employee/college fellowships and scholarships. If you work well, you could probably earn good recommendations from your manager and get a chance to go to school for free.

If you're not the college type, there's still some advantage to getting a job like this. Maybe you can go to a trade school and get some extra training after HS and learn to be a retail manager. It's the long-short way, but it will get you there.

With gas prices what they are, I would advice against delivering pizzas. I don't even know if it's a wash. Most pizza places don't give you money for car wear and tear and some don't pay for gas.

IF you're really patriotic, you can go to boot camp in the summer and be in the reserves. The only question is when... will they call you up. I know that the Army would accept HSers into boot camp. Going through Boot camp would and joining the reserves would be a great first step into joining the police department. With Military training, you'd be a shoe in for deputy within your first three years on the force. However, that's a better peacetime plan.

I waited tables for my last couple years of HS. Thats a solid enough job. If you can't find a smaller place that won't let you wait tables, you can bus and work your way up to waiting (some places won't let you serve til you're 18 because its illegal to serve booze).

Nice thing about that job is that you get cash in your pocket, crappy thing is that it can be a lot more stressful than working at a counter somewhere. Good luck.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to go on to college (at some point).... Then you probably would do best going to work for CVS. If you go to CVS, then you can try to work your way into the pharmacy. If you go on to college, then get a few years experience at CVS and then try to get a Pharmacy Technician's certification (it's gets you between $11 and $12 per hour to have one, but it opens up doors). It's really cheap and easy to get. IF you get that, you will get a major bump in salary and you will be able to swing part time while you're in college. My guess is that with experience and part time work, you'd be able to count on 25K easy. Plus, it's the Pharmacist, the Pharm Tech's and the PA's that get all the perks when the Pharm reps come around. The other perk is that CVS probably have employee/college fellowships and scholarships. If you work well, you could probably earn good recommendations from your manager and get a chance to go to school for free.

CVS is prolly not going to pay 11 or 12 and hour even if you are certified. I lost my job last year when our company sold and was on unemployment in N.J. After 6 months I still did not get offered a comparable salary to the one I had so in NJ if you go to an approved training program they will extend your unemployment for up to 6 more months while you go to school and pay for the school. I chose to go for Pharmacy Technician. I passed the 4 MONTH class and go for the test in mid September. Thing is I found a job doing what I was doing before I was unemployed ( assnt mangr in a supermarket ) which is alot more than CVS will pay unless your a Pharmacist. In Southern NJ the most they will start their techs in 9 bucks an hour and that is certified with experience. In north Jersey you may get 10 or 10.50. Im not sure if the rates are higher down south near ATL but usually they are not. If you are interested in the Pharmcy Tech though it could pay off because if you can afford the 9 bucks an hour for awile ( which I couldnt because I have 3 kids ) then you can get a Pharmcy tech job in a hospital. Hospitals usually start around 14 an hour and up to 18 or 19 if you have experience combined with job training. Now you do not have to go to school to take the National Pharm Tech exam but it does help. There is a good book if your interested to help you pass the exam without school. I could get the name of it if you want but it cost about $125 bucks used.

• Premium Member
CVS is prolly not going to pay 11 or 12 and hour even if you are certified. I lost my job last year when our company sold and was on unemployment in N.J. After 6 months I still did not get offered a comparable salary to the one I had so in NJ if you go to an approved training program they will extend your unemployment for up to 6 more months while you go to school and pay for the school. I chose to go for Pharmacy Technician. I passed the 4 MONTH class and go for the test in mid September. Thing is I found a job doing what I was doing before I was unemployed ( assnt mangr in a supermarket ) which is alot more than CVS will pay unless your a Pharmacist. In Southern NJ the most they will start their techs in 9 bucks an hour and that is certified with experience. In north Jersey you may get 10 or 10.50. Im not sure if the rates are higher down south near ATL but usually they are not. If you are interested in the Pharmcy Tech though it could pay off because if you can afford the 9 bucks an hour for awile ( which I couldnt because I have 3 kids ) then you can get a Pharmcy tech job in a hospital. Hospitals usually start around 14 an hour and up to 18 or 19 if you have experience combined with job training. Now you do not have to go to school to take the National Pharm Tech exam but it does help. There is a good book if your interested to help you pass the exam without school. I could get the name of it if you want but it cost about $125 bucks used.

i was saying that at the high end (With experiece) you could probably top out at 11-12 per. Moreover, in NJ....don't you guys have a Pharmacy on every corner? Hospitals will pay more to a Pharm Tech, but at this point for Lib, he'd do well being a Pharm Tech and using that to go through school to do whatever he wants to do (if he wants to go to college).

My first job was throwing boxes onto a truck on Fulton Industrial BLVD.. many years ago. My football coach told me that it was a good way to stay in shape during the summer. Anything that Lib comes up with will be better than that.

FWIW, I would get something you enjoyed, be it atmosphere or otherwise. Sure, something may pay more but if you gotta bag a bazillion groceries a day it can get old. CVS sounds like a good place to start. K-Mart, at least in the areas I've lived in, has a bad rap and is pretty ratty.

As far as being a waiter--I wouldn't recommend it. I cook at a restauraunt and spend a lot of time around waiters. They aren't happy, stressed as heck and the pay is terrible other than tips. If you have a bad day, you won't get paid but peanuts. The stuff you have to remember and otherwise is hard enough. At least cooking I get paid more and enjoy it.

As far as the army reserves or NG...I've got a buddy who tried this for a free ride to college and good comp. He just got called to the sandbox at 19 and is engaged. Needless to say pretty PO'd. Wouldn't want this to happen to you.

If you live in a good neighborhood area...lawn work is nearly unbeatable. When I was sixteen I trimmed trees and cut bushes and raked leaves and all sorts of crap like that. I charged 60 bucks for basically an 1-2 hrs work of yard cleaning. People, especially seniors just don't want to do it and will pay through the nose. Hard to beat 30 bucks an hour! This would probably only work if you lived around a ton of houses with yards though, and recurring business is fairly necessary.

If you live in a good neighborhood area...lawn work is nearly unbeatable. When I was sixteen I trimmed trees and cut bushes and raked leaves and all sorts of crap like that. I charged 60 bucks for basically an 1-2 hrs work of yard cleaning. People, especially seniors just don't want to do it and will pay through the nose. Hard to beat 30 bucks an hour! This would probably only work if you lived around a ton of houses with yards though, and recurring business is fairly necessary.

You could never get a job like that here in Houston as all that type of business has long been secured and it costs much less. It's easy to have your yard taken care of for $25 a week and it will always look good.

You sound like a nice, responsible boy (or young man if you prefer) Libid, so congrats! Sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and I'm sure your Mom would appreciate any financial relief you could give her. RE: the job, I agree with what Swish said, that you should try and go with what you feel will be most enjoyable to you. Job satisfaction counts for a LOT, and it is totally not worth it to go work somewhere where you're going to be unhappy. Life's too short for that, ya know?

It's totally up to you. What I used to do at your age was I'd sit down and think to myself "Hmmmm, what do I really want to do? Beyond monetary compensation, what would be the most rewarding and satisfactory type of job for me right now?"....and then I'd think about that, come up with some kind of an idea and then bust out the Yellow Pages and start calling around to businesses based on that, and asking if they needed help. I landed some really cool gigs that way. For instance if you like being outdoors, there's always landscaping, construction cleanup, dog-walking, etc etc etc jobs available. If you want to work in a sports type environment or with kids, there's always the YMCA etc etc.

I guess my point is you should try and do whatever you believe will make you happiest, and try and work in a place or field where you might derive the most personal satisfaction.

I know this might not help you in the immediate future, but if your HS has any kind of certification classes (mine had Computer and Auto Repair classes), then you should look into it. That way, when you graduate, you'll have a skill that can make you more money than most of the jobs that don't pay particularly well such as retail and fast food.

• Premium Member
I know this might not help you in the immediate future, but if your HS has any kind of certification classes (mine had Computer and Auto Repair classes), then you should look into it. That way, when you graduate, you'll have a skill that can make you more money than most of the jobs that don't pay particularly well such as retail and fast food.

That's a good idea right there. A job at the tune up clinic will make you the envy of the family. Really. Also, Chicks dig guys who can fix cars.

One that we haven't covered is the dream job of all ATLiens... Six Flags. IS that still the dream job? I just thought about my recent trip to Disney World and how everybody there was so happy and good at their jobs. It's been so long since I have been to Six Flags that I couldn't tell you what they have. I remember the parachute and the Scream Machine!!

I worked at a pizza place after high school and all through college. I was a cook and I enjoyed it because the atmosphere was pretty laid back and a lot of the people I worked with were real cool. You just hang in the kitchen and knock out the work they give you. Cleaning after hours was a pain, but you get used to it. The schedule was flexible too so as my school schedule changed, I was able to change my work schedule. AND the waitresses where I worked were pretty cute too.

I would do like people suggested and try to find something that you like doing.

I applied to CVS (most wanted job) and Kmart. CVS seems like it has a nice atmosphere in it. The manager sounded really nice and stuff. I'm really worried about my job interview. Also I'm worried about my schedule. After school days in certain days, I have driver's ed. I don't know if telling that to the manager would be the smartest idea during the job interview. When should I tell him/her? And how should I tell the manager so that I can keep at my schoolwork, driver's ed, and work hours without having to quit any of the last two? I really need to stay in Driver's Ed, but I really want to fit a job in there somewhere.

I applied to CVS (most wanted job) and Kmart. CVS seems like it has a nice atmosphere in it. The manager sounded really nice and stuff. I'm really worried about my job interview. Also I'm worried about my schedule. After school days in certain days, I have driver's ed. I don't know if telling that to the manager would be the smartest idea during the job interview. When should I tell him/her? And how should I tell the manager so that I can keep at my schoolwork, driver's ed, and work hours without having to quit any of the last two? I really need to stay in Driver's Ed, but I really want to fit a job in there somewhere.

Just be straight-up and honest with him, dude. Tell him your full schedule and what all you've got going on, and you should do that during your interview, because you don't want to be holding anything like that back. There's no point to that, and if he's considering you for a job there, then you owe him the courtesy of being completely honest about any other commitments you've got going on in your life. And he knows you're a high school student, so I'm sure he's already well aware that you've got other obligations in your life- and the fact that he's interviewing you while knowing that would seem to indicate to me that he's willing to try and work around those obligations at least to some extent. But be honest about it, man. You don't want to (and you shouldn't) go into a job interview withholding information like that. That would be totally unfair to your employer, and it would be the wrong way for you to start out your first job. And if you want to, tell him you want a job partly to help your Mom out financially. I would bet that score major points with the guy, and it should. It's very impressive, and it shows that you're conscientious, responsible, and that you care about things other than yourself.

RE: the interview, I know it can be nerve-wracking, but you've just got to try not to sweat it too much. I mean honestly, the worst thing that could possibly happen is that for some reason you don't get the job (but I bet you do). Just be yourself, and it's alright to tell the guy "Hey this is my first job interview, so I'm pretty nervous ***gulp***". I mean he's used to that, he's a store manager and sees it all the time when interviewing people. So it's ok to be nervous, just try not to be nervous about feeling nervous. It's perfectly natural, and it just means you're human.

• Premium Member
When were you in Disney? We were there the week of August 18.

I was there the week of August 5th.

I had not been in a long time. I was surprised. It's huge! The family loved it. I would go back in the fall though. August has got to be the hottest month in the world in Orlando, FL. Speaking of, it's a bigger city than i imagined. I have some friends that would love to move there and start a business...either there or Jacksonville. After visiting both places, I told them you'd be out of your mind not to start a business in O-town.

...As far as being a waiter--I wouldn't recommend it. I cook at a restauraunt and spend a lot of time around waiters. They aren't happy, stressed as heck and the pay is terrible other than tips. If you have a bad day, you won't get paid but peanuts. The stuff you have to remember and otherwise is hard enough. At least cooking I get paid more and enjoy it.

As far as the army reserves or NG...I've got a buddy who tried this for a free ride to college and good comp. He just got called to the sandbox at 19 and is engaged. Needless to say pretty PO'd. Wouldn't want this to happen to you...

I worked as a busboy at a good restaurant for a year (to get my feet wet)...then was made a waiter. It's great money if you are at a relatively higher-end place like I was and you understand the business and have some energy. Lotsa waiters aren't happy but that's because they expect to have their "best" night - every night. Also, you have to have the temperment to smile and say yes-sir with assholes as well as nice poeple. I waited tables at a steak place two years in college - then quit and took a student work job (20 hours a week, minimum wage) when I was doing my hard classes as a junior. I went back to waiting tables at the same place my senior year because I could make three times as as much for the same time working.

Unless you are Gung-Ho shoot-em up type...avoid any branch of the military at this point in time.

If you don't feel comfortable with waiting tables - I would agree with the others and go for CVS...probably good overall retail experience.

If you are REALLY smart (and going to college of course)...work at McDonalds (or another burger place) flipping burgers for a year. Once you get your law degree and apply to be a junior staff member on a congressman's staff - the "flipped burgers for my first real job" thing on your resume' will be solid GOLD. Then you can use that in your speech when you are nominated for President :smile:

Edited by DJlaysitup