• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks drawn fouls...

Diesel

• Moderators
Moreover, a lot has been made about Marvin's ability to get to the line. However, the numbers show that he doesn't draw fouls more than Smoove nor Chillz.

Chillz - 30mpg and 3.6 FTA per game

Marvin - 34.5mg and 5.1 FTA per game

What has been proven? That Marvin draws fouls more than Chillz.

Josh Smith draws more fouls than either of them -- he just doesn't hit the FTs as well as Marvin so Marvin actually makes more FTs than either of them both on a raw # and on a per minute basis.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Good Driving PGs get over 4 FTA per game. Here's last years list:

1 Chauncey Billups, DET

2 Baron Davis, GSW

3 Tony Parker, SAS

4 Deron Williams, UTH

5 Chris Paul, NOR

6 Devin Harris, DAL/NJN

7 Kyle Lowry, MEM 82

8 Raymond Felton, CHA

9 Andre Miller, PHI

First off, Bibby is no where close.

Second, it's interesting that Kyle Lowry and Raymond Felton is on this list. It kinda suggests that these guys are penetrators. However, in Lowry's case, I would think it's more because he doesn't shoot em well.

Good Driving PGs get over 4 FTA per game. Here's last years list:

1 Chauncey Billups, DET

2 Baron Davis, GSW

3 Tony Parker, SAS

4 Deron Williams, UTH

5 Chris Paul, NOR

6 Devin Harris, DAL/NJN

7 Kyle Lowry, MEM 82

8 Raymond Felton, CHA

9 Andre Miller, PHI

First off, Bibby is no where close.

Second, it's interesting that Kyle Lowry and Raymond Felton is on this list. It kinda suggests that these guys are penetrators. However, in Lowry's case, I would think it's more because he doesn't shoot em well.

I'd chalk that up to him being injured throughout most of last year since the prior 4 years to that he was over 4 per game.

That does not seem to be a correct stat. For instance, Marvin is shown as having been fouled 165 times while he took 409 free throw attempts. There is only one instance where you get a free throw without drawing a foul, and that is on a technical. I don't remember seeing Marvin take many if any technical shots at all. Also you must figure that some of the times Marvin went to the line it was for only 1 attempt, an "and 1" if you will.

So 409/129=2.479. That is 2.479 attempts per foul. Sorry but that doesn't add up. There must be something wrong with the stat or something we don't understand.

I believe their stat takes into acount the amount of 2-shot shooting fouls drawn, which was 165 for Marvin.

I think it doesn't take into account the FTs shot from a technical, or FTs taken when someone fouls him while he's not in the act of shooting. I don't even think they include "and-1s" in the actual drawn foul %, because he made the shot.

For a jumpshooter like Marvin, a 15% rate of drawing a foul and getting to the line, is actually pretty high.

Here's how they're getting that stat:

Marvin's official FGA totaled 918. Add the 165 drawn fouls he got from shooting, but missing the actual FG, and his adjusted FGA is 1083. I think they list 1084 as the total FGA number.

That means from those 165 drawn fouls, he got 330 FTA ( 165 x 2 FTs ).

He had 23 "and-1s" . . so that 23 FTs + 330 FTs = 353 FTA

With him taking 409 FTs total, I guess the other 56 FTs he took ( 409 - 353 = 56 ), came via him being fouled while not being in the act of shooting or from taking a technical foul shot.

So by their numbers . . . 165 drawn fouls / 1084 actual FGA = 15.2%

If you were to add the "and-1s" to his overall drawn foul total, it'll be 188 drawn fouls / 1084 actual FTA = 17.3%

If you did that for Smith, his 232 drawn fouls would increase to 297 drawn fouls, seeing that he had 65 "and-1s". 297 drawn fouls / 1363 total FGA = 21.8% ( instead of the 17% they have listed for him )

This is why people always wanted Smith to take the ball to the hole, and want Marvin to do it, especially when his jumper isn't falling. Both of these guys are much more efficient,when the take the ball to the rim when the opportunity presents itself.