• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Atlanta adds Mark Price as shooting coach

capstone21

I don't think that "Shooting Coaches" sit on the bench. I expect to see Price behind the bench. Let's not take this to an extreme. Price has been trying to get on as an assistant coach position in the league since he retired. For whatever reason, team after team have turned him away. He even had to go to Australia to get some coaching experience. And he still is only able to perform as a "consultant" which is not quite the same level as assistant coach. I'm VERY glad he's here to work with our shooters on all facets of their game. And hopefully, Woody will allow him to work with the PGs about decision-making and floor leadership. But I'm guessing the "interim coach" line starts & ends with Larry Drew and Jim Todd. I don't think Price will come up in the discussion if/when Woody gets whacked.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that "Shooting Coaches" sit on the bench. I expect to see Price behind the bench. Let's not take this to an extreme. Price has been trying to get on as an assistant coach position in the league since he retired. For whatever reason, team after team have turned him away. He even had to go to Australia to get some coaching experience. And he still is only able to perform as a "consultant" which is not quite the same level as assistant coach. I'm VERY glad he's here to work with our shooters on all facets of their game. And hopefully, Woody will allow him to work with the PGs about decision-making and floor leadership. But I'm guessing the "interim coach" line starts & ends with Larry Drew and Jim Todd. I don't think Price will come up in the discussion if/when Woody gets whacked.

The only reason Price hasn`t taken a full time gig is because he is a big time family guy and he knows what the grueling schedule of the NBA demands and he hasn`t wanted to move his family. It is certainly not because he has been turned away. He has turned down several jobs the last few years including a full time gig with the Trailblazers this year for those very reasons. This is a great get for the Hawks(kudos Rick Sund) and it works for Price because he gets to stay in Atlanta and not travel. I have no doubt that when the time is right and he is ready to jump in with both feet that Price will be a head coach one day, he knows too much basketball and he loves teaching the game.

• Premium Member

I have to agree with Joe here. Price will be sitting next to Ty Hill... behind the bench. Moreover, more than Shooting mechanics, I think Price's biggest asset to the team is teaching our guards when the show and how to create space to shot. You ever notice that Price was always seemingly wide open when he was draining threes? Part of that was due to the fact that he had good shooting teammates... (Hello Elho, Ferry, and TB are two of the best). Also, a lot had to do with motion and him moving with and without the ball. Our guards have to learn not to sit still.

Another advantage with a guy like Price - is that he isn't that far away from his playing years. I seriously doubt that he has gone pizza/beer wild since retiring and got fat and slow - so I would imagine that he is in pretty good shape still. As a pure shooter we have only one guy that can go up against Price in a game of Horse and have any chance of winning (dunks not allowed) and that guy is JJ. Price doesn't need to teach JJ anything about shooting - just all the other guys.

From tonight's game against ORL (which we won big :beer: ) it's obvious that the international game is showing our top NBA players that they have to have skills past just dunking. Dwight Howard made his first four free throws. Skill is coming back to the game and I love it. I appreciate athleticism as much as anyone - but I like to see guys who can jump AND shoot and all the rest of the stuff.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• 1 month later...
We are sixth in the league in three point shooting. How much of that can we credit to Mark Price???? Flip sure sang his praises.

Flip? How about Marvin? His stroke is awesome from 3 all of the sudden. Sometimes it is the types of drills and stuff. I bet Price has done more behind the scenes than we think.