• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Libid21's Random Comments on the Forum

mattlanta

Just decided to make this topic so I don't 'contaminate' the other topics in this forum. I hope you don't mind, Dolfan. Just thinking of providing some constructive criticism. :)

So I guess I'll start the topic off by saying I don't like the new quote boxes. They look 'old school' to me. It doesn't really match the old skin IMO. I kinda wish we can just go back to the previous version of Hawksquawk (not the old IPBB, I wish we'd just use the version before we started coming up with 'Squawk Supporters' since that's when a lot of cool new features came out that I think aren't really needed).

Don't stone me for saying this, I just want to get my opinion out there. Thanks.

Just decided to make this topic so I don't 'contaminate' the other topics in this forum. I hope you don't mind, Dolfan. Just thinking of providing some constructive criticism. :)

So I guess I'll start the topic off by saying I don't like the new quote boxes. They look 'old school' to me. It doesn't really match the old skin IMO. I kinda wish we can just go back to the previous version of Hawksquawk (not the old IPBB, I wish we'd just use the version before we started coming up with 'Squawk Supporters' since that's when a lot of cool new features came out that I think aren't really needed).

Don't stone me for saying this, I just want to get my opinion out there. Thanks.

I appreciate your opinion as always so thanks for sharing it. Just FYI I wasn't really trying to match the old skin from the UBB version of this site as they are quite different forum systems and I just wanted this one to be close. This one allowed me to add many more features that most people seem to like.

As far as the quote boxes, I'm not sure what you mean by 'old school' but I will say that I don't have much control over styling them since I can't control the code that creates them, I can only edit the 2 DIVs that make them up, which leaves for very little creative control. I believe that since I changed them they are easier to read than the default quote boxes were and that's the important part to me.

You are always welcome to use the Hawksquawk Light skin or one of the other alternate skins and if you happen to find another skin for Invision that you like on another site let me know about it and I'll try to get it.

Is there a way to show that we've posted in the topic in the Hawksquawk default/light skins? The icons don't support that now

Yes they do, when you have posted in a topic the top right of the icon will be filled solid. If not, the icon will just have an outline.

• 1 month later...
I like the new avatar base, Dolfan. Did you put these up yourself? Whoever did it, thanks.

Yeah I was up most of the night last night and was bored so I scoured YouTube for some videos that I thought would make cool avatars. Glad you like em.

I always dread opening up this thread because I have no idea what type of comment awaits LOL.

Yeah I was up most of the night last night and was bored so I scoured YouTube for some videos that I thought would make cool avatars. Glad you like em.

I always dread opening up this thread because I have no idea what type of comment awaits LOL.

Heh, didn't know that you really dreaded my comments that much. Most of them may be harsh, but you know I only do it cause I love this forum, and I want it to be the best it can be. Sorry if that means it makes you feel like you yourself are being criticized. haha...

Well you know how much I love this forum, man... so it's all good.

Heh, didn't know that you really dreaded my comments that much. Most of them may be harsh, but you know I only do it cause I love this forum, and I want it to be the best it can be. Sorry if that means it makes you feel like you yourself are being criticized. haha...

Well you know how much I love this forum, man... so it's all good.

I was kidding about dreading it, although I am never quite certain what I'll find. If were that worried about people commenting negatively on the stuff I do I wouldn't do it at all but like I said it's no biggie to me, I love what I do and I enjoy working on this site trying to make it better and I always appreciate the comments, good or bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any way we can incorporate the Hawksquawk scoreboard thing on top of the default layouts to the "Classic" ones? It's a useful reminder for me for which games to look for seeing that I never get any games up here in CT. Thanks... it's ok if you can't though, Dolfan.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dolfan, I just realized that the skin 'Hawksquawk' looks so much better on Firefox than it does on Internet Explorer. I think I'll actually stick with this. The menus on the left are very useful.

Also, I don't know if you knew, but the forum under the layout 'Hawksquawk' is a bit 'too big' and it's stretched out in Internet Explorer. I don't know how to explain it, and I'll try to show you via screenshot tomorrow if you still don't get what I mean. When you view it in Internet Explorer, the layout Hawksquawk doesn't shrink to fit the monitor. I've tried all of the other skins and I've only found that Hawksquawk and Hawksquawk Classic need some "shrinking".

I want to start using Hawksquawk but it looks weird in Internet Explorer, so I guess for the mean time I will use Mozilla.

Edited by Libid21

Hey Dolfan, I just realized that the skin 'Hawksquawk' looks so much better on Firefox than it does on Internet Explorer. I think I'll actually stick with this. The menus on the left are very useful.

Also, I don't know if you knew, but the forum under the layout 'Hawksquawk' is a bit 'too big' and it's stretched out in Internet Explorer. I don't know how to explain it, and I'll try to show you via screenshot tomorrow if you still don't get what I mean. When you view it in Internet Explorer, the layout Hawksquawk doesn't shrink to fit the monitor. I've tried all of the other skins and I've only found that Hawksquawk and Hawksquawk Classic need some "shrinking".

I want to start using Hawksquawk but it looks weird in Internet Explorer, so I guess for the mean time I will use Mozilla.

Glad that you like it. I use Firefox and while I try and make the site look good in other browsers I'm a lot more prone to catching any errors in Firefox first. For me, using Vista or XP and Internet Explorer 7 and 8 it looks fine.

I'll have to see your screen shots to make sure I understand what you're saying but the important things that determine why it's not displaying correctly are:

1. Screen resolution - my guess is that you're using 1024 x 768 or less. The Hawksquawk and Hawksquawk Classic skins are a bit wider at their smallest possible sizes because of the left menu bar and you really need to be using at least 1280 x 1024 to use either of those skins.

2. Internet Explorer version

3. Operating System

Glad that you like it. I use Firefox and while I try and make the site look good in other browsers I'm a lot more prone to catching any errors in Firefox first. For me, using Vista or XP and Internet Explorer 7 and 8 it looks fine.

I'll have to see your screen shots to make sure I understand what you're saying but the important things that determine why it's not displaying correctly are:

1. Screen resolution - my guess is that you're using 1024 x 768 or less. The Hawksquawk and Hawksquawk Classic skins are a bit wider at their smallest possible sizes because of the left menu bar and you really need to be using at least 1280 x 1024 to use either of those skins.

2. Internet Explorer version

3. Operating System

You basically answered my question. My monitor's not big enough. It's one of those old-time monitors before they came out with plasma and LCD, like a box shaped one. It's 1024 x 768 so that probably anwers why it's like that for me. It's a bummer, but thanks anyway. Do you still want a screenshot?

You basically answered my question. My monitor's not big enough. It's one of those old-time monitors before they came out with plasma and LCD, like a box shaped one. It's 1024 x 768 so that probably anwers why it's like that for me. It's a bummer, but thanks anyway. Do you still want a screenshot?

You don't need an LCD monitor to display more than 1024 x 768, a CRT monitor (unless it's like 10 years old LOL) is perfectly capable of displaying much higher. Have you checked to see if you can set it to a higher resolution in your display properties?

Nope I don't need a screenshot but thank you.

For the last couple weeks i've been getting an ie certificate error on this site saying ie has blocked content from displaying because of certificate errors. I can't tell what its blocking. Nothing too major obviously.

Are you using Vista and/or Internet Explorer 8? I got that message too but I have no idea what it was blocking. My guess is that it has something to do with the JavaScript that injects the Flash code into the page at various points while checking to see what Flash version you have but I really have no idea and it seems to look fine for me also.