• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Solo opens camp with a statement

Admin

New and improved, that’s the way Solomon Jones wanted to be viewed when Hawks training camp began three days ago.

After wrapping up an eye-opening performance during the team’s first scrimmage of camp Thursday, consider that mission accomplished.

Jones is wearing an extra 25 pounds like a new suit. His last move of Thursday’s scrimmage was a wicked spin move that was followed by swished turnaround jumper over Randolph Morris that ended the workout.

The session was highlighted by the improvement Jones has made since most watched him last.

“Solo has put in some serious work and now he’s just showing off now,” Josh Smith said and then laughed. “I’m proud of him, though. He was on fire out there and has been all summer. So he’s earned the right to show it all off.”

Jones, who now carries 245 pounds on his 6-foot-10 frame, didn’t do it to show off. This was a work assignment for the third-year center/power forward with eyes on an increased role.

If he keeps up with the showcase efforts, more playing time won’t be a problem.

“Picking up this extra weight has allowed me to play more physical, to bang and to play with a lot of confidence on both ends of the floor,” Jones said. “I’ve always been confident in what I could do but now I feel like I have the strength to do it consistently.

“The past two years I was so tentative and hesitant at the same time. I’d catch the ball in positions to do things and would hesitate instead of playing the way I know how to play. Playing my role was the only thing on my mind and I think that got me out of my comfort zone and into the trap of being hesitant and really tentative all the time.”

Tired of waiting for an opportunity to fall into his lap, Jones decided to take a more proactive approach this summer. He opted not to play on the Hawks’ summer league team so he could work the weights and his game at his own pace.

The immediate results are hard to miss. Jones is much more decisive on the offensive end and has shown a nice touch on his shot. One of his other impressive plays Thursday was a baseline jumper over Al Horford’s outstretched hand.

“I think he and Josh both would have to rank at the top in terms of the guys that have come back the most improved,” Horford said. “We always knew Solo was athletic and stuff. But now that he’s figuring it out in the post, and if we can have another guy that we can trust in the post and a guy that can play our style and get up and down the floor, that just makes us that much better as a team.”

Hawks coach Mike Woodson is counting on it. After using Jones sparingly the past two seasons — he played just 4.1 minutes per game last season — Woodson expects to use Jones in a more prominent role going forward.

“He looks like a different player,” Woodson said. “When I look at his physicality and his body, he’s picked up a little weight and he’s not as flimsy as he was the last two years. It used to be somebody would hit him and he’d be all over the place. Now he has to continue to build on that.

“But he’s practicing well. I thought his play in the summer during pickup ball he was playing pretty well. It’s been a nice carryover for him into camp. He just has to continue to build, because Solo is the kind of guy we need with the way we want to play, up and down and everything.”

Jones wants all that and more, but he plans on working for every bit of it.

“I don’t want anybody to give me anything,” Jones said. “I’m going to earn what I want. What [Woodson] sees out here, if I’m earning it, I think he’ll definitely provide the opportunity for me to get out on the floor and contribute for my team.”

Obviously this is all still more of a wish than reality but if Solo can ball, I'll have completely different expectations for this team.

If he can come in for Al and pull down boards at a decent rate or come in for Smith and block shots at a decent rate, we could be a MUCH better defensive team than if we had to rely on Za and Marv as backup power players.

I've got to take issue with that comment. Solomon hasn't merited playing time up to this point in his career.

There was a reason nobody here had heard of him when BK drafted him and he didn't progress much over the past two years, mainly due to being an 82 inch stick figure.

I've got to take issue with that comment. Solomon hasn't merited playing time up to this point in his career.

There was a reason nobody here had heard of him when BK drafted him and he didn't progress much over the past two years, mainly due to being an 82 inch stick figure.

White boy that was strictly a shooter that couldn't shoot a lick got plenty of playing time to prove he was the worst player in the NBA. (his name escapes me) It's not like the Hawks have ever had a good team under Woodson, nothing bad could come from letting guys like Solo, West, Salim and J-Rich work out some of their problems on the court. Solo did play effective minutes for the most part, though. #1 in the entire NBA in blocks per 48 minutes, #5 in offensive rebounds per 48, and non stop hustle. That may not mean much, but it at least counts for something. The Hawks were a team that would have so many terrible stretches it's a crime young guys were locked to the bench.

Even when the playoffs were locked up and the starters clearly had no interest in winning against D-Leaguers he would keep these guys on the bench.

Edited by High5

he had no choice other than to do this over the Summer.

Solomon Jones was on the brink of being out of the league.

I think that definitely had something to do with this. I was thinking when we were adding all that depth this year that Solo might be odd man out.

Looks like he's been trying his hardest to not make that the case.

I knew Solo could put on the weight. Any ectomorph who lifts enough heavy weights and has a strict enough diet can gain weight. Maybe not 50 pounds of muscle but at least 20-30.

Solo has sick length and ups. Actually the highest extension in the entire NBA when you take his standing reach and max vert numbers from before the draft.

If this guy adds a respectable offensive game and stops getting fouls defenisvely, watch out!

We have a real backup big.

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

Seems that another one of our young lads has grown up. The Hawks needed that.

He has already been a good player for us - See his stats. Yet, he was just too

small for the job.

He knew what he needed to do and he did it.

He's not the only Hawk to come to camp improved over last season, as per reports.

We have, so far, a healthy Speedy and a new shooting coach. I know, everyone is

undefeated for the season right now, but things are looking up for the Birds.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

:biggrin:

White boy that was strictly a shooter that couldn't shoot a lick got plenty of playing time to prove he was the worst player in the NBA. (his name escapes me)

Matt Freije? Yeah he had his chance. Woody is too old school at times like Larry Brown not playing the young guns when there is opportunities. I thought Solo always did little things to warrant more playing time. He can actually make free throws too!

White boy that was strictly a shooter that couldn't shoot a lick got plenty of playing time to prove he was the worst player in the NBA. (his name escapes me) It's not like the Hawks have ever had a good team under Woodson, nothing bad could come from letting guys like Solo, West, Salim and J-Rich work out some of their problems on the court. Solo did play effective minutes for the most part, though. #1 in the entire NBA in blocks per 48 minutes, #5 in offensive rebounds per 48, and non stop hustle. That may not mean much, but it at least counts for something. The Hawks were a team that would have so many terrible stretches it's a crime young guys were locked to the bench.

Even when the playoffs were locked up and the starters clearly had no interest in winning against D-Leaguers he would keep these guys on the bench.

Man stop! Solo has had PLENTY of opportunities to break into the rotation just as Salim did. He simply has not earned consistent minutes up until this point. He was TERRIBLE both years in summer league where he was getting dominated and pushed around by D-Leaguers. It's like the saying goes, success in summer league doesn't necessarily mean you will be great but failure in summer league is a sign that you are not ready to play with the big boys. In addition, when he did get minutes in the regular season, he would block a shot or two now and then but he couldn't hold his position on the floor due to his lack of strength. Hopefully, now that he has put on weight, he will be able to earn his minutes. We sure need for one of the bigs besides Al to step up and be a player this year.

Matt Freije? Yeah he had his chance. Woody is too old school at times like Larry Brown not playing the young guns when there is opportunities. I thought Solo always did little things to warrant more playing time. He can actually make free throws too!

Yeah, Matt Freije. Thanks. In the short time he was here he had more games with extended minutes than Solomon has had in his career. That makes no sense.

Jones is wearing an extra 25 pounds like a new suit.

LOL sure he put on 25 pounds in a few months.

Solo weighed 224 at the combine in 2006. So if we assume he is 245 now as the article states that means he has put on 21 pounds in 2.5 years which is a lot but it is doable. I just hope it is true.

Man stop! Solo has had PLENTY of opportunities to break into the rotation just as Salim did. He simply has not earned consistent minutes up until this point. He was TERRIBLE both years in summer league where he was getting dominated and pushed around by D-Leaguers. It's like the saying goes, success in summer league doesn't necessarily mean you will be great but failure in summer league is a sign that you are not ready to play with the big boys. In addition, when he did get minutes in the regular season, he would block a shot or two now and then but he couldn't hold his position on the floor due to his lack of strength. Hopefully, now that he has put on weight, he will be able to earn his minutes. We sure need for one of the bigs besides Al to step up and be a player this year.

I disagree. Solomon has never played great, but his energy and explosiveness could have been used in several games these last two years. And the only way a player really improves is by playing. Summer league is meaningless. Plenty of good players have played poorly in the summer league.

It's like the saying goes, success in summer league doesn't necessarily mean you will be great but failure in summer league is a sign that you are not ready to play with the big boys.

Not that I think Solo would have ever been a real contributor the past coupla years but a) I don't think that's a saying and b) I don't thats necessarilly true.

I think Duncan had trouble in SL.

Edited by crimedog