• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin Williams prepared to be target for Hawks

Admin

Third-year player ready to use improved skills to combat opponents’ physical tactics

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Kansas City, Mo. — With five returning starters from a playoff team, someone has to be the target of opposing teams.

Someone has to be identified as the weakest link, the one player on the Hawks’ roster who can be attacked — physically and perhaps even schematically — in the hope that he will break down and the entire team will falter.

Wednesday night in Phoenix the Suns targeted Hawks small forward Marvin Williams. And Williams made them pay, outlasting the rest of the starters on both teams in the final minutes with plays that helped the Hawks secure the 100-96 victory.

Williams finished with a team-high 19 points to go with six rebounds, four assists and a body full of sore muscles courtesy of the pounding he took from Suns reserve power forward Louis Amundson, who spent most of his night trying to get under Williams’ skin.

“I don’t know if that was the case, and I don’t feel like they were trying to hurt me or anything,” Williams said. “I used to play football, man, so nobody in this league is going to hurt me. Physically I’m not worried about getting beat up out here.

“And the truth is, the way our team is built, they’re going to have to go after somebody. Whether that’s going after Mike [bibby] or Joe [Johnson] and trying to make them go extra hard on both ends or Josh [smith] or Al [Horford] inside and put the heat on them to guard bigger cats on defense, they’re going after somebody.

“And that’s the beauty of our team. If you target one guy there are four or five other guys that are ready to step up and make you pay for that approach.”

Williams certainly made the Suns pay, and Hawks coach Mike Woodson said he should be prepared to do the same tonight against Portland if they choose the same strategy.

“He’s got to be ready every night because there’s no doubt about it, the small forward and shooting guard in our league are going to have to play to the max every night,” Woodson said. “And that kid [Admundson] was so active. You could tell he had it in his mind that he was going to try and knock Marvin off his mark. That’s smart basketball, too.

“There was nothing dirty about what he was doing. But teams know Marvin’s still not ready yet and that’s where he has to become a complete player.

“And I thought he did a great job of stretching his game out and forcing the action on offense and taking the challenge on the defensive end of the floor as well. He made plays that I needed to see him make down the stretch that will go a long way toward his ultimate development in our league and even more important, for our team.”

Rather than taking the bait and trying to outmuscle Amundson, who is curiously listed at 6-foot-9, 225 pounds but appeared much bigger than that, Williams showcased his expanded range by taking Amundson away from his comfort zone around the basket.

Williams sank both of the 3-pointers he attempted in the second half and scored 10 of his points in the final 12 minutes, including two free throws to finish off the Suns in the game’s final seconds.

His teammates gave him the business afterward for logging huge minutes, a game-high 37 with no other player on either team playing more than 27. But they also appreciated the way Williams kept his cool in what could have been a hostile situation.

“Marv’s battle-tested,” said second-year point guard Acie Law IV. “It’s almost like people forget he’s been in the league three years already. He’s certainly not going to back down from anybody. And he’s a money player. He’s going to take and make big shots like that if he’s in the position to do that.

“And really we all have to be willing to step up the way he did if were in his shoes.”

“I don’t know if that was the case, and I don’t feel like they were trying to hurt me or anything,” Williams said. “I used to play football, man, so nobody in this league is going to hurt me. Physically I’m not worried about getting beat up out here.

That makes me feel better, if he means it. A Marvin with a mean streak? To go with Al and Josh? We could surprise some people.

Curious quote...

I think Woody is speaking the truth, Marvin hasn't been ready for this role before and he's challenging him to get to that point. I think that Woody does a good job of talking honestly to his younger guys without hurting their feelings and I'm sure Marvin would agree that he hasn't been ready for this role up until now. Hopefully he'll be ready to assume that role when needed this year.

That makes me feel better, if he means it. A Marvin with a mean streak? To go with Al and Josh? We could surprise some people.

When you think about it Marvin would be a massive NFL player if he's really 6'8"ish and 245 lbs. I mean we're talking about a solid NFL defensive end size here.

I think Woody is speaking the truth, Marvin hasn't been ready for this role before and he's challenging him to get to that point. I think that Woody does a good job of talking honestly to his younger guys without hurting their feelings and I'm sure Marvin would agree that he hasn't been ready for this role up until now. Hopefully he'll be ready to assume that role when needed this year.

The curious part about it was the "still" (meaning, now). I definitely think Marvin is a lot more ready this season, but I definitely did a double-take with that "still" word.

And lol at the image of Marvin playing D-End.

When you think about it Marvin would be a massive NFL player if he's really 6'8"ish and 245 lbs. I mean we're talking about a solid NFL defensive end size here.

Well...he can't get any less sacks than JA98.

Ouch. Even I had trouble typing that one.

The curious part about it was the "still" (meaning, now). I definitely think Marvin is a lot more ready this season, but I definitely did a double-take with that "still" word.

And lol at the image of Marvin playing D-End.

I did as well, but I think he just means that until Marvin proves it in the regular season that he's not ready so now does technically fit.

I never even knew he played football but he might be a hell of a football player you never know.

I did as well, but I think he just means that until Marvin proves it in the regular season that he's not ready so now does technically fit.

I never even knew he played football but he might be a hell of a football player you never know.

Yeah now that i think about it Marvin really could've played DE or even TE. He's not slow and would've been MASSIVE at the position. Antonio Gates type thing I guess.

The sad part is that it is true! Marv has a pretty quick first step, you would think he would be able to get to the QB at least ONCE in 21 games. :cant believe:

Esp. with John Abraham on the other side running quarterbacks his way all game.

JA98 = A Virgin in the Sack

I wouldn't worry about the "still" quote from Woodson. He's more than proven himself as an odd read in the press.

I agree. I could be wrong but I think what Woody was trying say is that Marv is still developing and he has not yet reached the level of player that he will become. As such, teams will try to target him at times and he has to be ready for the challenge.