• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Gaming system advice

Vesper

I'm trying to decide what gaming system to buy.

I know the PS3 has the Blu-Ray player, but I can buy a basic X-Box 360 for just $200.

I here X-Box Live is cool, but you have to pay for it. Where as Playstation online is free.

What are your opinions?

Each are great systems. PS3 may cost (up front) more but you're basically buying a top of the line blue ray player for cheap and getting a free game console. It has it's own built in modem and browser as well. With the free online play you mentioned, it's overall, the better bargain. Not to mention it's finally doing what it was supposed to do over a year ago...beat the XBox, hands down, in the graphics department. I won't even get into the reliabilty contest (if there really is one).

There is one thing the XBox whips the PS3 in, and IMO it's huge...online gaming. While it may cost you (it's really not that much) it's well worth it. The online interface with the XBox games is so much smoother, not to mention disconnects and even establishing connections aren't nearly as big an issue with the XBox. It took nearly 3 days before a friend and I could properly set up our modem to play Madden together online. Sony simply can't take advantage of the internet like Microsoft can.

If all you do is game online I'd say go with the XBox but if you're into single games and movies, the PS3 is by far the better investment. This is only my opinion of course.

I was in the same position and wanted to upgrade my ps2 to the next gen gaming console. I got myself the 360 because of its huge gaming collection... and that because I wanted to try Gears of War and Ninja Gaiden 2 for way to long... and those didn't disappoint.

edit: I heard they are going to release a better version of the 360 around christmas time... rumors is that it will fix the reliability issue with the 360.

Edited by DeerPark

I would go with the Playstation 3. The Xbox 360 is a pain in the ass, and it's bound to break on you, man... it's that simple IMO.

It's a lot less likely to break on you if you take care of it! I've had mine for 3 years and I've NEVER had a problem with it, but I don't leave it on for days at a time and I keep it well ventilated.

To me it's all about whether you play online or not as the xbox is and will likely remain vastly superior online. The only real upside to the PS3 is the Blu-Ray player and unless you buy/rent a lot of movies what's the point of going Blu-Ray?

Yah if your looking forward to online play...its 360 or bust imo. If your looking for occasional gaming, blueray, go with the ps3. Even with my 360 breaking down (dvd player acting up, bought it while i lived in china modded), still gonna get another one (elite is like $330 or something now with 2games).

It's a lot less likely to break on you if you take care of it! I've had mine for 3 years and I've NEVER had a problem with it, but I don't leave it on for days at a time and I keep it well ventilated.

To me it's all about whether you play online or not as the xbox is and will likely remain vastly superior online. The only real upside to the PS3 is the Blu-Ray player and unless you buy/rent a lot of movies what's the point of going Blu-Ray?

No, I take care of it. It has plenty of 'breathing' room already, but if that wasn't enough, I took it out of the TV stand and let it have its own table. That along with its huge power brick. I also dust it every once in a while, and I never leave it on for more than 3 hours. You don't know me and how I am always a nitpick with how I take care of my consoles.

Some people simply have those lucky consoles... a friend of mine got his right when it came out, and he keeps it on top of an Xbox 1 in a not so ventilated area. He also leaves games in his tray, and it doesn't look like he takes care of it. But he tells me he's never had one problem with it before.

No, I take care of it. It has plenty of 'breathing' room already, but if that wasn't enough, I took it out of the TV stand and let it have its own table. That along with its huge power brick. I also dust it every once in a while, and I never leave it on for more than 3 hours. You don't know me and how I am always a nitpick with how I take care of my consoles.

Some people simply have those lucky consoles... a friend of mine got his right when it came out, and he keeps it on top of an Xbox 1 in a not so ventilated area. He also leaves games in his tray, and it doesn't look like he takes care of it. But he tells me he's never had one problem with it before.

I wasn't saying you personally did those things, I'm just saying that anyone I've known that has had problems with theirs usually doesn't take care of it like they should.

I usually only swap out the game about twice a year, for Madden and then for 2k and always leave them in.

• Admin
I'm trying to decide what gaming system to buy.

I know the PS3 has the Blu-Ray player, but I can buy a basic X-Box 360 for just $200.

I here X-Box Live is cool, but you have to pay for it. Where as Playstation online is free.

What are your opinions?

I would get the xbox, simply because it's cheaper, it has more games (as well as more A+ games) and Microsoft is doing more to move the platform forward than Sony is for the ps3.

If you weren't already shopipng for a blu-ray player, blu-ray should have zero impact on your decision. If you were already shopping for a blu-ray player or were really interested in it, then the PS3 might be for you. Otherwise you're buying a game console and games should be your primary reason for purchasing and on that front, the 360 wins hands down.

yes, xbox live (Gold, silver is FREE) costs $50 per year. That's not that much and in comparison the quality of experience is much better than PSN. Microsoft adds features to xbox live on a regular basis and not just frilly features. They're completely revamping the interface next month and that will bring with it a wide variety of feature enhancements (google Xbox NXE). PSN is still working to get basic features that Xbox Live had the day it came out. So yes , you do pay for it, but it's not like you're throwing money at nothing.

From a reliabilty standpoint, the new 360's are fine. The older ones had problems, but they were not nearly as widespread as some people would have you believe. I also know a couple of PS3 owners who have had hardware failures from it, so it's not bullet proof either.

Sony must have done something really terrible to chillzatl and his family, even if he hasn't posted in months as soon as there a PS3 vs. X-Box thread he'll show up and continue his crusade against the evil Sony empire. :saythat:

My advice would be to choose the system that has exclusives that cater more to your taste (although there aren't many exclusives anymore nowadays) and has the better controller for your hands (most people I know prefer the PS3 controller, but there is one guy that hates the PS3 controller because he thinks it is too small).

I own a PS3 and I never had a problem with it. The Store might've sucked a little at the beginning but it is perfectly fine now. I never had a problem with online gaming either. The last update upgraded the flash player so now the PS3 internet browser is almost like a normal internet browser (although some sites still look a little messed up).

Sony must have done something really terrible to chillzatl and his family, even if he hasn't posted in months as soon as there a PS3 vs. X-Box thread he'll show up and continue his crusade against the evil Sony empire. :saythat:

My advice would be to choose the system that has exclusives that cater more to your taste (although there aren't many exclusives anymore nowadays) and has the better controller for your hands (most people I know prefer the PS3 controller, but there is one guy that hates the PS3 controller because he thinks it is too small).

I own a PS3 and I never had a problem with it. The Store might've sucked a little at the beginning but it is perfectly fine now. I never had a problem with online gaming either. The last update upgraded the flash player so now the PS3 internet browser is almost like a normal internet browser (although some sites still look a little messed up).

How does Hawksquawk look on the PS3 browser?