• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Best coach in the NFL?

Swish

Who is the best coach in the NFL?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who do you guys think is the top coach in the NFL? Some would say Belicheck...but I say he's not much without Brady. On my money, and sure, I'm biased, but Jeff Fisher does more with less than anyone. No superstars outside of Haynesworth (and granted, several guys are on their way to that status).

Whaddya think?

Several good/great coaches in the NFL as you have listed.

Not the best NFL coach, but the best "rookie" belongs to the Atlanta Falcons.

The reason? He was wise enough to surround himself with good assistant coaches.

No man is an island and no great head coach can do the job by himself.

Almost any good coach can take great players and have a wonderful season.

A great coach can take a team of ordinary players and have a great season.

They can overcome the loss of some of their talented players and still have a

winning season.

Who do you guys think is the top coach in the NFL? Some would say Belicheck...but I say he's not much without Brady. On my money, and sure, I'm biased, but Jeff Fisher does more with less than anyone. No superstars outside of Haynesworth (and granted, several guys are on their way to that status).

Whaddya think?

Good question. I've got to get some work done, and I'll get into this thread later, but where is Mike Holmgren? That just jumped out at me. Also, Andy Reid? Ok, I've got to go.

Good question. I've got to get some work done, and I'll get into this thread later, but where is Mike Holmgren? That just jumped out at me. Also, Andy Reid? Ok, I've got to go.

Holmgren was successful with the Packers, but Brett Favre/Ahman Green had a lot to do with it. Without a healthy Hasselbeck and a good Shaun Alexander, he has not put up much at all this year.

Billy B, pretty easy for me on that one. Obviously having Brady helps but you don't win without good players regardless of how good a coach you are.

Belicheck's magic has been making it work without a consistent strengths outside of the QB position and the D-Line. Even there, his scheme's allow guys to play to their strengths and really make guys seem elite-er than they might actually be.

Holmgren was successful with the Packers, but Brett Favre/Ahman Green had a lot to do with it. Without a healthy Hasselbeck and a good Shaun Alexander, he has not put up much at all this year.

Dude, Seattle has had the longest recent streak of making the playoffs. And Green wasn't even in the NFL when the Packers went to back to back Super Bowls. Local great Dorsey Levens was the go to back... Aside from Favre and Reggie, the Packers were not an overly talented squad in the mid to late 90's. Holmgren had a lot to do with it. He was the first to successfully install the San Fran offense somewhere else. He's probably the most Walsh-like of any coach in the NFL today. Very cerebral.

I forgot about Gruden, too. The Raiders have collapsed after he left. There are many factors involved there, but it says something. He's won a Super Bowl. He should be in any discussion about this. My favorite guy is Billick. He's like Holmgren in the cerebral are but a little more exciteable and loose. My guess is he will be back soon. The Walsh tree is really amazing.

Jeff Fisher gets the most out of his players. That defense is too sick. Even losing their "franchise QB" the team hasn't missed a beat. They have even played better. I'm not ready to call Mike Smith the best, but he looks like he could be in this discussion before long. Coach of the year is a two man race between Smith and Fisher.

I'm confused. Are we talking THIS YEAR or ever? Some of you are throwing around names based on what they've done in the past. If we're talking this year how can you not go with Fisher? He's doing the best with the least and it's not even close. If you're going all time then some of the names you guys are throwing out aren't even worth mentioning.

I'm talking about what have you done for me lately coaches. If you think about it, Fisher really has no stars on offense. Chris Johnson will be there soon, but beyond him, there is nobody.

Haynesworth, Vanden Bosch, Bulluck and Finnegan are certainly wrecking balls on D but what he has gotten out of very little and that offensive line is insane. The Titans are the definition of the whole being much greater than the parts.

• Moderators

I interpreted the question to be who the best coach is right now in the NFL which means taking into account past performance as well as current performance.

If the question is more along the lines of who should be coach of the year for 2008, I think that is a very different question from who the best coach is in the NFL.

I interpreted the question to be who the best coach is right now in the NFL which means taking into account past performance as well as current performance.

If the question is more along the lines of who should be coach of the year for 2008, I think that is a very different question from who the best coach is in the NFL.

Thats the question I was posing. However, I think that the answer to both questions may be the same, though Belicheck and Dungy without question deserve recognition.

OIC. In that case I (and it stings to say this) agree wholeheartedly with this...

I respect the heck out of Fisher but the highs that Bellicheck has led NE to win me over, despite my dislike for him.

I think I just threw-up a little in my mouth.

• 2 weeks later...