• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Typical of this message board! Hawks win with the

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

DEAD

How about the play of Zaza and Murray. I guess the motto of this message board should be "if you can't say anything bad about certain players, you shouldn't say anything at all"

Edited by Peoriabird

• Premium Member
But it may be another three years before Za has another game like this one.

You and others need to curtail your uncontrolled bias for and against Hawk players. If certain players play well, give them credit! If they play poorly even if it is Joe or Smith, let them have it. So join me and give credit where credit is due. Murry and Zaza played very well tonight which gives us hope for a better bench this up coming season.

• Premium Member
Now you see why I've been trying to avoid the boards in the off-season.

Indeed. Maybe people are just excited about the upcoming season and have strange ways of showing it. There have already been several exchanges about players' performances with little "real" data to form a reasonable opinion yet. There's plenty of time to argue for/against certain players on the team. It's a long season guys. There's no need getting worked up so early.

Edited by hawkman

It was nice to win but come on!! You can't put much stock into the team's efforts tonight. Rip and Rasheed didn't play and Detroit featured the bottom end of their bench. If ZaZa and Flip (I mention them because everyone else has) can't do well, they never will.

Yeah, took the words out of my mouth.

Rip didn't play, Rasheed didn't play, Billups played 12 minutes, McDyess played 12 minutes, Prince played 12 minutes, JJ didn't play, and Smoove played only 18 minutes.

What exactly are you taking from this game?

1) Zaza hit all his free throws.

2) ? ? ? ? ? ?

• Premium Member
Yeah, took the words out of my mouth.

Rip didn't play, Rasheed didn't play, Billups played 12 minutes, McDyess played 12 minutes, Prince played 12 minutes, JJ didn't play, and Smoove played only 18 minutes.

What exactly are you taking from this game?

1) Zaza hit all his free throws.

2) ? ? ? ? ? ?

I am not necessarily concentrating on the win but more on how the particular players played. Now if you are making the case that Wallace would have stopped Zaza or Murray, that's fine. But I seem to remember a ground swell on this message board to acquire Amir Johnson. But of course since Zaza used and abused him, he is a scrub now.

Edited by Peoriabird

I am not necessarily concentrating on the win but more on how the particular players played. Now if you are making the case that Wallace would have stopped Zaza or Murray, that's fine. But I seem to remember a ground swell on this message board to acquire Amir Johnson. But of course since Zaza used and abused him, he is a scrub now.

Zaza will surprise some,but not me. He will feast on 2nd unit centers this season. I will not be surprised to see Zaza starting.

Flip has "Alpha Dog" attitude. That attitude is contagious. Young guys as Al, Marvin, Zaza, Solo, Randy and Othello will benefit from being in the room with Flip and Mo mostly.

Edited by Swatguy

I have an excuse. I saw very little of the Hawks game last night because my Phils were playing a slightly more important game. I did see how we won at the end and Im suprised Detroit didnt foul. I also saw the reverse dunk by Evans when they stole the in bounds pass. Hopefully this play will carry to the real games.

DEAD

How about the play of Zaza and Murray. I guess the motto of this message board should be "if you can't say anything bad about certain players, you shouldn't say anything at all"

This is the way it's always been since I first logged in. If you post something along the lines of "Player X played well tonight" when the guy had a just decent game, then you get internet crucified for nut hugging and having low expectations.

If you say that when he had a great game, you get internet crucified for only speaking up on the blue moon he has a great game.

But if you bash the players Y and Z who didn't play so well, you get resounding support from the masses.

This goes for every player not named Joe Johnson.

It's a very negative, argumentative board. It ain't gonna change. Even if we start winning for real, it ain't gonna change. We won't ever be good enough (even after a title) for the toxic nature of this crew to turn positive.

DEAD

It's preseason. Zaza and Murray are veterans, we know what they can do already, so nothing to get worked up about.

I have always supported Zaza and I like him more than most on the board. I thought his poor season last year was more about him sulking due to losing his starting position (getting hurt didn't help either) than anything else. I too think it is hilarious that people were wanting to trade Marvin straight up for Amir Johnson and then he gets abused by Zaza.

That said, when you look at who Zaza was working against primarily last night, you have to take his gaudy stats with a grain of salt. Amir Johnson? Cheik Samb? Walter Sharpe? Jason Maxiell? (Maxiell is a good player but he's 6'7" to Zaza's 6'11") I EXPECT Zaza to dominate competition like that. Still, a case could be made that after JJ, Zaza had the best preseason of anyone on the team.

As for Flip, I don't see what is not to LOVE about him yet. We need a guy who can come in and score off the bench and he has done that consistently. He has also played well from the PG position. It could certainly change but Flip has looked like a more impactful pickup than Mo has so far in my opinion.

The amazing wunderkind Rodney Stuckey had 150% of the made field goals of Acie Law, making the Hawks bitterly regret their selection just like Chad Ford.

Stuckey 3-18

Law 2-4

I am a little puzzled at some of the hype Stuckey is getting even though i would have been ok with drafting him. Last year he averaged 7 ppg shooting 40% shooting during the season and shot worse during the playoffs.

Yet somehow Ford has him nominated as a 6MOY candidate. Based on what?

I am just ready to watch some games.

As for last night i am not to excited about us beating Detroits bench although they do have a better than average bench.

The turnovers definitely are a concern. I am worried about Smith starting the season in a funk as usual. They don't exactly seem primed for the season which starts off with a lot of road games.

• Premium Member
I am a little puzzled at some of the hype Stuckey is getting even though i would have been ok with drafting him. Last year he averaged 7 ppg shooting 40% shooting during the season and shot worse during the playoffs.

Yet somehow Ford has him nominated as a 6MOY candidate. Based on what?

I am just ready to watch some games.

As for last night i am not to excited about us beating Detroits bench although they do have a better than average bench.

The turnovers definitely are a concern. I am worried about Smith starting the season in a funk as usual. They don't exactly seem primed for the season which starts off with a lot of road games.

Stuckey is the truth. I understand your point about the hype, but the kid is a baller. If you actually see him play you'll see why so many in Detroit are high on him. You kinda glossed over his playoff performance, but he looked pretty darn good out there for a rookie in his first taste of playoff basketball. He has no fear and he has the athleticism to pull off some pretty amazing plays once he gets in the lane.

• Premium Member
Stuckey is more impressive watching him live than his actual numbers indicate, IMO. If he doesn't improve his efficiency I think the mood will turn much more negative for him.

I can agree with that. But the skills and mentality are there no doubt. He has a great PG/SG to learn under and I think he'll be just fine. Remember, he's a second year player.

• Moderators
I can agree with that. But the skills and mentality are there no doubt. He has a great PG/SG to learn under and I think he'll be just fine. Remember, he's a second year player.

And the commentators who are predicting 6th man of the year should remember that as well. They should also remember Deron Williams and many others before sayiing one rookie is clearly better than another when neither has done very much to date.