• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Where Was Marvin?

Deeman

i think he took 2 bad shots. the 2 fade aways, but the 3 point shot was open he just missed them. He will heat up. Hopefully against NO cause we are going to need all the help we can get against cp3 and the boys

• Premium Member
Marvin isn't needed. Give him 10-15 minutes a game and drop him after the season.

I won't say that Marvin is not needed. I don't trust our bench more than Marvin, but I think we need both. Here's the deal, Marvin should be productive.

All the Marvin Williams Nut Huggers talk about Marvin "off game" like the past three years was nothing. Unlike previous seasons, I am not going to hold my peace until game 20 before I criticize Marvin. Shoot, He has had 3 years and he still comes out and does very little. He's still the most insignificant player on the court.

Ok So what's next. Let me tell you:

1. One person will say "Diesel you just hate Marvin" or something to that effect.

2. One person will say " But he's only _______ years Old".

3. One person in a condescending tone will say " Just give him more time".

4. One person will say " but it's not his fault!"

This is the same story over the past 4 years. Marvin is still the most protected and pampered Hawk and nobody knows why. Had Smoove not had a big 4th qtr, he'd be getting crucified on this board. But Marvin has a continual pass.

Let's just watch it play out. AND the next game is against N.O. If you think their defense is going to allow Marvin to breath, you better ask the Suns.

• Premium Member

I'll go ahead and say this now. I have been rather neutral in the Marvin Wars around here, but I can say this. He will have to start contributing something on a regular basis. All of the important pieces on this team contribute something consistently - even when they are not scoring well. For Marvin, it has to be more than the quiet jumpers that he gets playing off of JJ and when he DOES get those, HE HAS TO HIT THEM. I'm hoping that he was just having 1st game jitters, but right now he's the weakest link.

There's another thing that may rear it's ugly head too. I can EASILY seeing Woodson throwing him in the doghouse and pushing Evans into the starting lineup. That will only make things worse. Marvin has to man up and start contributing something regularly and dependably.

Unlike previous seasons, I am not going to hold my peace until game 20 before I criticize Marvin.

The only reason you "held off" criticizing Marvin last year is because he got off to a hot start.

The bottom line with Marvin is that if he doesn't produce this year they will probably just let him go and spend that money somewhere else. At this point we know Marvin's game and he isn't a 2 ppg player. He needs to shoot and make 3s, get more defensive boards and finish better inside to become a real asset.

This hasn't been talked about much but if Marvin does have a crappy year it might not be such a bad thing. If they renounce the rights to Marvin, Bibby (assuming he isn't traded) and Zaza they can be major players in the free agent market next summer.

This hasn't been talked about much but if Marvin does have a crappy year it might not be such a bad thing. If they renounce the rights to Marvin, Bibby (assuming he isn't traded) and Zaza they can be major players in the free agent market next summer.

I wouldn't wanna loose Marvin for nothing.I would rather see what we could get in a trade first.

If Marvin plays the same way he did after we got Bibby, I would trade him, and give his job to Mo.

I would rather pay Mo 3 million to shoot open jumpers and play defense than to pay Marvin 8 or 9 million to do the same thing.

I wouldn't wanna loose Marvin for nothing.I would rather see what we could get in a trade first.

If Marvin plays the same way he did after we got Bibby, I would trade him, and give his job to Mo.

I would rather pay Mo 3 million to shoot open jumpers and play defense than to pay Marvin 8 or 9 million to do the same thing.

agree. Marvin's number will be down this year..i've been saying this for some time..Im thinking he will put up anywhere between 12-14 ppg if that. It just seems like he's just gonna be a good role player for this team with JJ, JSmooth, and Al being the guys we go to most on offense. The CP3 and Deron Williams thing is getting old even tho its hard to understand why we didnt choose a guy who had interest in playing here in Paul when we clearly needed a PG. But I mean Marvin isnt bad..he isnt a bust..he is just a good player..not great and will probably never be an all star but im okay with him starting at the SF on this team..he fits in nicely. With that said, Hawks shouldnt overpay the guy either. Evans is arguable a better all around player than Marvin so we got some things to work with

A few months ago ,there were a few people saying that Marvin should be watch closely at what type of contract Danny Granger would get.

Granger just signed for 5 year 60 million

:nono:

And at the end of this season he might very well be worth that. We'll see.

I won't say that Marvin is not needed. I don't trust our bench more than Marvin, but I think we need both. Here's the deal, Marvin should be productive.

All the Marvin Williams Nut Huggers talk about Marvin "off game" like the past three years was nothing. Unlike previous seasons, I am not going to hold my peace until game 20 before I criticize Marvin. Shoot, He has had 3 years and he still comes out and does very little. He's still the most insignificant player on the court.

Ok So what's next. Let me tell you:

1. One person will say "Diesel you just hate Marvin" or something to that effect.

2. One person will say " But he's only _______ years Old".

3. One person in a condescending tone will say " Just give him more time".

4. One person will say " but it's not his fault!"

This is the same story over the past 4 years. Marvin is still the most protected and pampered Hawk and nobody knows why. Had Smoove not had a big 4th qtr, he'd be getting crucified on this board. But Marvin has a continual pass.

Let's just watch it play out. AND the next game is against N.O. If you think their defense is going to allow Marvin to breath, you better ask the Suns.

No one gets a free pass on this board. Atlanta fans are criticized nationally for their bandwagon mentality and negative attitudes. This is hands down the most negative sports BB on the internet. And you Diesel are its top poster.

Every player on our team has been crucified on this board without mercy. A few examples from last year:

Smoove has historically been a slow starter; and last year he was crucified for it.

Marvin is crucified for every single bad game.

JJ, our lone all star was crucified last season for his poor fg% at the start of last season.

Bibby was crucified this preseason for his fg% Preseason of all things!

Bottom line is most ATL fans are bandwagon fans. Whether it is a positive bandwagon or a negative bandwagon; they are all ready to jump on. This board only brings this simple fact closer to the forefront.

So keep up the great work Diesel. You are the top poster on the most negative sports BB on the internet. I am sure you are grinning from ear to ear....

And at the end of this season he might very well be worth that. We'll see.

no way Marvin should get paid that much. anything over 10mil is just crazy! he has talent and potential but he isnt needed on this Hawks team..I like Marvin too but I dont wanna overpay him. Granger will be an all star this season or next. Marvin is a role player on the Hawks..you cant be a 4th or 5th option making 12 mil..thats wild!

No one gets a free pass on this board. Atlanta fans are criticized nationally for their bandwagon mentality and negative attitudes. This is hands down the most negative sports BB on the internet. And you Diesel are its top poster.

Every player on our team has been crucified on this board without mercy. A few examples from last year:

Smoove has historically been a slow starter; and last year he was crucified for it.

Marvin is crucified for every single bad game.

JJ, our lone all star was crucified last season for his poor fg% at the start of last season.

Bibby was crucified this preseason for his fg% Preseason of all things!

Bottom line is most ATL fans are bandwagon fans. Whether it is a positive bandwagon or a negative bandwagon; they are all ready to jump on. This board only brings this simple fact closer to the forefront.

So keep up the great work Diesel. You are the top poster on the most negative sports BB on the internet. I am sure you are grinning from ear to ear....

Please , It is the same for fans of every team

Before you try to attack hawks fans should look at teams other boards

Philly fans are calling out Iggy and Andre Miller and Mo Cheeks.

Magic fans hate Bogans and Nelson and some don't like Stan Van gundy

Celtics just won the Nba a championship and they still think Doc Rivers is and Idiot.

There are even Lakers fans that have a problem with Kobe.

Go over to Realgm and read the other teams boards. You will see how normal Hawkaquawk is.

no way Marvin should get paid that much. anything over 10mil is just crazy! he has talent and potential but he isnt needed on this Hawks team..I like Marvin too but I dont wanna overpay him. Granger will be an all star this season or next. Marvin is a role player on the Hawks..you cant be a 4th or 5th option making 12 mil..thats wild!

Again ... at the END of the season he MIGHT be worth that much. He MIGHT put up numbers that rival Granger's and if he does would you still say he's not worth that and that the Hawks don't need him? Should we just let him go if he were to do that?

I doubt Marvin will put up numbers anywhere near Grangers in scoring but I believe he'll be similar in other areas. I think that if he gets to around 17 ppg and 5-7 rpg while shooting a decent percentage from the field and from 3 that we should offer him 5 for 45 like we offered Smoove and I think that would get him signed and he'd be well worth it.

It was highly apparent last night that we need a SF that can score for us, I believe Marvin fits that role perfectly and that's why I strongly disagree with you about Marvin not being needed on this Hawks team. You can't have an undersized Evans starting at SF and you can't have a non-shooter at SF and just depend on the inconsistent Bibby and JJ as the only shooters in the starting lineup.

Please , It is the same for fans of every team

Before you try to attack hawks fans should look at teams other boards

Philly fans are calling out Iggy and Andre Miller and Mo Cheeks.

Magic fans hate Bogans and Nelson and some don't like Stan Van gundy

Celtics just won the Nba a championship and they still think Doc Rivers is and Idiot.

There are even Lakers fans that have a problem with Kobe.

Go over to Realgm and read the other teams boards. You will see how normal Hawkaquawk is.

I disagree man. Calling another fan a "nuthugger" may be normal for the squawk or a malcontent teenager; but it is not anywhere near normal for a grown man or woman. Most BB's I belong to would suspend your privileges for less; and if it continued they would ban you.

This is what makes this site so negative, not only do we attack our players; it is also considered normal to attack each other. I am not innocent; I used to get drawn into it quite often. But I did make it a point to no longer participate in the malcontent 6th grade name calling post quite a while back.

Just gripes my @$$ that people are allowed to get away with it. This is the reason I do not come around very often. Why mess up a perfectly good day by reading illiterate/immature post on the internet? I would just as soon read a cartoon :)

I am not going to post on this anymore. Definitely threadjacking....

• Premium Member
I disagree man. Calling another fan a "nuthugger" may be normal for the squawk or a malcontent teenager; but it is not anywhere near normal for a grown man or woman. Most BB's I belong to would suspend your privileges for less; and if it continued they would ban you.

This is what makes this site so negative, not only do we attack our players; it is also considered normal to attack each other. I am not innocent; I used to get drawn into it quite often. But I did make it a point to no longer participate in the malcontent 6th grade name calling post quite a while back.

Just gripes my @$$ that people are allowed to get away with it. This is the reason I do not come around very often. Why mess up a perfectly good day by reading illiterate/immature post on the internet? I would just as soon read a cartoon :)

I am not going to post on this anymore. Definitely threadjacking....

I see your point, and that is why I stay away from the Falcons forum now. But I think some of the posts about players and other posters will get better if we continue winning. Marvin's play last night didn't help his situation at all, but I think he will get it together. I don't see him as a "star" as much as I see him as a capable starter for this team at SF. If he can give us 12-14ppg and 6rpg, he'll fit in just fine. Maybe it's time we throw out his draft position and look at the player himself. He's a nice spot up shooter that can help us stretch the floor. He can rebound and play some decent defense as well. He's nowhere near Danny Granger's level, but we don't "need" Danny Granger. We need a guy who knows his role and who will be consistent. Marvin can be that guy for us RIGHT NOW.

• Premium Member

I'm going to give him a few more games to get his rhythm back because he hasn't had time yet, but I do agree with Diesel that it's "put up or shut up" time for Marvin.

The Hawks have decisions to make in February, and that's not that far away. For now, all you have is three seasons of inconsistency and occasional glimpses of stardom. For what he's going to command on the open market, he's currently not worth it.