• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If I have to hear "Hook and Ladder" one more time

Admin

I am going to lose my freaking mind. Purdue won the game with the "Hook and Lateral" but all day on CBS they were calling it the "Hook and Ladder" and I've heard it several times on ESPN as well. Finally on SportsCenter they were saying it right. I would expect Emmit Smith to call it the wrong thing but not professional sportscasters. Sheesh.

I am going to lose my freaking mind. Purdue won the game with the "Hook and Lateral" but all day on CBS they were calling it the "Hook and Ladder" and I've heard it several times on ESPN as well. Finally on SportsCenter they were saying it right. I would expect Emmit Smith to call it the wrong thing but not professional sportscasters. Sheesh.

The terms have been used interchangeably for longer than either of us have been alive. Find something legit to complain about.

The terms have been used interchangeably for longer than either of us have been alive. Find something legit to complain about.

There have been stupid people incorrectly saying it for as long as you have been alive.

I should also add that if you don't like what I had to say then don't read my posts.

From Wikipedia:

The "hook and lateral" is sometimes referred to as a "hook and ladder," which is a topic of considerable debate among football fans and analysts. Although the terms are used interchangeably by some, others believe this is not technically accurate. "Hook and lateral" may actually be a newer, more descriptive term for the play. However, since it is so commonly referred to as the "hook and ladder", perhaps this is actually an equally correct term for the play.

One well known iteration of the play came in the aforementioned 1981 AFC playoff game, when the Dolphins surprised the Chargers and sent the Orange Bowl crowd into a frenzy.

“We called it 87 Circle Curl Lateral,” says Don Strock, the quarterback for the Dolphins that night (notice the name of their play didn't even include the word "hook"). “And, believe me, the damn thing never worked in practice.”

In current culture, the play is referred to as the "hook and ladder" on the cover of EA Sports NCAA Football 2008, possibly because the term has been used commonly by sportscasters, coaches and fans for years.