• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

1. Hawks’ Williams looks to rebound (Sekou)

pimp

Hawks’ Williams looks to rebound

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, November 03, 2008

Saturday’s effort wasn’t exactly the type of showing Marvin Williams planned for his first game of the season.

He managed just two points, five rebounds and two blocks in his season opener, Saturday night’s win over Philadelphia. Williams missed the opening night win over Orlando serving a one-game suspension from a flagrant foul he received during the playoffs.

How he bounces back Wednesday is much more important to Woodson than any struggles Williams had to endure in his first regular-season action of the season.

“My timing was all messed up,” Williams said. “It was my first game back and I was just off. But it’s not anything I’m worried about. I’ll be fine.”

Woodson said he didn’t even bother trying to analyze Williams’ performance. Not yet at least.

“I still have a day or two to sit down with Marvin and help him reprogram,” Woodson said. “A lot of time when guys get hurt, you have to reprogram them. So we’ll take care of that and make sure he’s ready to go.”

Trade winds blowing

The Hawks had not exited the practice floor Monday when word spread that Detroit and Denver were in the midst of a deal that would send All-Star point guard Chauncey Billups to the Nuggets in a multi-player deal for All-Star guard Allen Iverson.

“We’re not even two weeks into the season and stuff is going on,” Acie Law IV said. “That’s crazy.”

Johnson said he can see the benefits for both sides, but isn’t sure if a winner can be crowned so soon.

“I don’t know,” he said. “It’s tough, because anytime you get traded you show up to your new team with a whole new outlook and attitude. You got new life. It’s different with those two guys because they’ve been in the league for so long and they are big time players. Right now I just can’t call it.”

Monday, November 03, 2008

With All-Star point guard Chris Paul in the lineup, New Orleans is hard to stop. At least that’s the feeling in 29 other NBA cities.

And that’s what makes the Hawks’ task Wednesday so daunting. Their attempt at starting a season 3-0 for the firs time in 11 years comes against a player considered by to be the most unstoppable force in the league.

Before Monday’s games, the Hornets were the second highest scoring team in the league (106.6), behind Detroit (108.5).

The Hawks’ defense has been stellar through two games, they’re giving up a league-best 86.5 points per game (tied with Utah).

But they’re facing a Hornets team that, with Paul at the helm, has rarely had any difficulty scoring.

“Well, you’ve got to adjust,” Hawks coach Mike Woodson said Monday. “This kid … he’s a player. A [dang] good player. He’s pushed that team to the max and his supporting cast is pretty good as well. We’ve got to come up with a game plan. What that plan is right now, I don’t know.”

Making matters even tougher for the Hawks is that Paul is what Woodson calls a “true triple threat.”

“He can shoot, he can penetrate and he can find people,” Woodson said. “And he defends. It’s not like he’s shying away from trying to defend. The kid gets after you defensively. So we have to try and figure it out. It’ll be a good test for our ball club.”

Josh Smith insists that the concern should run both ways.

“We’ve got Mike Bibby and Joe Johnson in the backcourt,” Smith said. “I’d think teams are worried about us, too. Those guys are going to be some work for the Hornets, too. People better not sleep on them. So it’s going to be an uphill battle both ways [Wednesday].”

I find it curious that there is no word about Speedy. Like he dropped off the face of the earth????

I forgot he was even on the team .I think about him as much as i think about Bastista or some other scrub that's no longer on the team.

• Premium Member

Williams look to rebound???

Well, from a 2 point 5reb dismal day.. what else can you do?

“My timing was all messed up,” Williams said. “It was my first game back and I was just off. But it’s not anything I’m worried about. I’ll be fine.”

that would be the first excuse of the year.

• Moderators
Williams look to rebound???

Well, from a 2 point 5reb dismal day.. what else can you do?

that would be the first excuse of the year.

This is why all this focus on him shooting the 3 is going to be detrimental. He's built for fade away jumpers/ posting up/ driving the lane. Sure work on your shooting but don't bank everything on jump shooting.

• Premium Member
I have to agree with D. I never thought that I would ever say that. There can be no more excuses for Marvin.

This is just the pinnacle of the tip of the iceberg for this season and Marvin excuses. I refuse to listen to em... but I know that they are coming.

I mean, when Lewis had a bad game against us fouled out with only 11 points, what was his excuse? I don't remember one. Good players usually don't make up excuses.

Marvin should be in a state of prime production right now...he's in his fourth year, so he's used to the NBA game. He's big and strong and fairly talented. He's not hurt. He's surrounded by talented guys to shoulder the load. His coach is behind him. If we don't see a good increase in production this year....something needs to happen. Obviously you can't let him walk for nothing but I don't see how we can keep someone who would be worth that much but produces so little.

All the rational (non-D) people here need to relax. The complaints about Marv should be when he doesn't give consistent effort. Not when he has a single bad game. It sucks that he went 2 and 5 in the first game he played but most of us have the wherewithall to look at stats from last season and know that 2 and 5 is an anomoly.

Getting 5 defensive rebounds in only 20 minutes is actually very good. i hope he keeps that up all season.

and don't forget the 2 blocks either. I don't know if that will be a new wrinkle to his game this year but if he's put on 20 lbs of muscle, cut his body fat, and strengthened his core he would be in a lot better position to get blocks and force tough shots.

I know that he missed the one inside attempt that I remember him trying to make off the dribble but he looked in control for the most part, he just didn't finish.

I've been one of his biggest supporters and think we'll all finally see him break out this year but it might take 10-15 games to get his rhythm back and to fit in with the team.

it might take 10-15 games to get his rhythm back and to fit in with the team.

10- 15 games?? That's the entire month of November.

We better hope it doesn't take that long.

10 of our first 16 games are on the road, 9 vs playoff teams...

Edited by pimp

10- 15 games?? That's the entire month of November.

We better hope it doesn't take that long.

10 of our first 16 games are on the road, 9 vs playoff teams...

I don't know the status of his thumb injury but I'd be surprised if it's 100% and he did miss a good portion of pre-season game and practice. I don't think he'll have a game like that opening game every game, at least I pray he won't, but he won't be the "as good as we'll see this year" Marvin for a bit.

I don't expect any of our players except maybe Joe to really be in a groove from the opening tip of the season but I especially think that the younger players will take a little longer.

FOREVER LINKED

Just as sure as the sun rises in the east and sets in he west, Chris Paul and Marvin Williams will be forever linked as NBA players.

Our next opponent, starring Chris Paul, will have their way with the Atlanta Hawks. We can expect CP to run over, under and thru the Hawks. Marvin Williams will be standing at the other end of the floor, wondering what is going on.

We can expect Chris Paul to score ALL the points for our worthy opponent, steal the ball from Marvin Williams every time he dares to touch it, and our own MW to end up with no points and 15 turnovers.

Expect the score to be 150-2. Hawks avoid the shutout when Speedy Claxton is called to take two free throws with .5 seconds left in the game. CP is given a tec. foul for taunting.

Bow down and worship, all you CP fans. You know he can do this.

:sad: