• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove injury may be blessing in disguise

TheNorthCydeRises

I have always believed that even if by some horrible circumstance that we didn't re-sign Smith over the summer, that the Hawks would still be just fine.

Why?

Because it would've given Horford a chance to play PF 75% - 80% of the time, and probably make Marvin a bigger part of the offense. However long Smith is out, it will be interesting to see what kind of offensive numbers both Horford and Marvin put up. I don't think it was a coincidence last night to see the offense pretty much not miss a beat with Smith gone.

If Smith is gone for the next 3 weeks, I'll project these numbers for Hoford and Marvin.

Horford:

16 ppg . . 11 rebs . . 53% FG

Marvin

16 ppg . . 7 rebs . . 47% FG . . 38% 3FG

Horford will be the big beneficiary offensively, with Smith being out.

If anything it will be something to give Solomon Jones some more minutes to show Woody how good he is. Perhaps then he could be used in the rotation more to make our bench look even stronger.

But the idea that Smoove should be replaced at the 4 spot in the long run is ridiculous.

A Smoove/Horford front court >>>>> Horford/Pachulia. Not to mention it's a deeper bench with Pachulia coming off the bench.

This injury stinks and just goes to show you how sometimes things are too good to be true around here.

I have always believed that even if by some horrible circumstance that we didn't re-sign Smith over the summer, that the Hawks would still be just fine.

Why?

Because it would've given Horford a chance to play PF 75% - 80% of the time, and probably make Marvin a bigger part of the offense. However long Smith is out, it will be interesting to see what kind of offensive numbers both Horford and Marvin put up. I don't think it was a coincidence last night to see the offense pretty much not miss a beat with Smith gone.

If Smith is gone for the next 3 weeks, I'll project these numbers for Hoford and Marvin.

Horford:

16 ppg . . 11 rebs . . 53% FG

Marvin

16 ppg . . 7 rebs . . 47% FG . . 38% 3FG

Horford will be the big beneficiary offensively, with Smith being out.

maybe..only time will tell. I think we can still win but we have to play hungry as hell! I would like to see Randolph Morris and Solomon Jones get alot of PT alongside Horford and see who plays better with him. just to get an idea of how we can rotate guys even when JSmooth gets back from injury. I liked the little bit I seen from them last night, especially Solomon. our chances of staying underfeated for a longer time lessens with Smooth out but it will help us out later on into the season when we can probably go 10 deep into our bench

Smith’s injury opens up floor

Hawks’ Jones and Morris expected to fill void of injured forward

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Saturday, November 08, 2008

This isn’t how the Hawks’ Solomon Jones wanted to get more playing time.

But after two years of watching and learning, Jones knows better than to do anything but embrace an opportunity.

Enlarge this image

Rich Addicks/raddicks@ajc.com

Josh Smith (right) is expected to be out possibly a month with an ankle injury.RELATED STORIES

Smith's injury opens up floor

Hawks, 4-0, blow past Raptors

Raptors coach believes in Hawks' hot start

More Hawks coverage

Josh Smith’s injury has paved the way for Jones and fellow big man Randolph Morris to break into the Hawks’ rotation of players.

Smith will miss between two to four weeks recovering from the high left ankle sprain he sustained with 56 seconds remaining in the first quarter of Friday’s win over Toronto, starting with Sunday night’s game in Oklahoma City against the Thunder.

Neither Jones nor Morris will be tapped to replace Smith in the starting lineup, but they will see backup minutes that otherwise wouldn’t have been available.

“You’ve got to keep yourself mentally ready to go in this league and that’s all I’ve ever tried to do,” said Jones, who played 25 minutes against the Raptors and finished with six points, nine rebounds, three blocks and impressed defensively against Raptors All-Star Chris Bosh. “When people started getting in foul trouble [early in the game] I told myself to get ready. I started warming up on the bench.

“You hate to see Josh get hurt, because that’s a huge blow for our team. But at the same time, that’s how it goes. Sometimes a guy gets hurt and somebody has to step up and fill the void.”

Neither Jones nor Morris alone is capable of replacing Smith’s stats and leadership. Combined, however, with Zaza Pachulia filling in as a starter, they should at least be able to carry the bulk of the load.

“We know the same plays those guys know,” Morris said. “We’ll come in and give good minutes and both myself, Solo and even Z will answer the bell when we’re called upon.”

Jones hasn’t been asked to work like this since his rookie season. He played nine consecutive minutes Saturday after Smith had already left the game and his mouth never closed — he was that tired.

“I bet he hasn’t played those kind of extended minutes in a long time,” Marvin Williams said with a smile. “But that’s the way it goes. When they call your name you have to be ready. We know these guys can do it because we see them every day in practice. Solo’s been giving people fits since the summer, so to see him out there in the game doing the same thing proves that his hard work is paying off.”

That coach Mike Woodson didn’t hesitate to put either Jones or Morris in the game also shows how much trust he has in his two reserves.

“Solomon and Randolph have been working hard in practice,” Woodson said. “I tell them all the time, when their time comes, they have to make the most of it. They took that in stride big time [saturday night]. Their minutes were very positive for our team.”

Jones said it was vindication for all the hard work that’s gone into his career after two uneven seasons.

“There was a point in time I got down a couple years ago when I wasn’t playing and I was till trying to break into the rotation,” Jones said. “But now, I’ve been through this for two years, this is my third year. I know the things that happen throughout the course of a season, the injuries or whatever.

“Yeah, it is hard to think about having to go in because somebody is injured. But that may be your opportunity to shine, your chance to break into the rotation. So you have to be ready.”

I think our team and especially JJ is hot enough that losing anyone other than JJ won't really slow us down much. We'll ride this hot streak a few more weeks then come back to earth, our late Nov-early Dec schedule gets tough. About that time Smoove will come back and help get us through tougher times. Also while Smoove is out we'll get to learn more about our other players. So overall I don't think losing Smoove this time of year will be a big deal and almost might be a slight positive as far as our longterm team progress.

If anything it will be something to give Solomon Jones some more minutes to show Woody how good he is. Perhaps then he could be used in the rotation more to make our bench look even stronger.

But the idea that Smoove should be replaced at the 4 spot in the long run is ridiculous.

A Smoove/Horford front court >>>>> Horford/Pachulia. Not to mention it's a deeper bench with Pachulia coming off the bench.

This injury stinks and just goes to show you how sometimes things are too good to be true around here.

Agrred BBIB...to think that one of your top players rolling an ankle is good is pretty stupid. I will admit that while we lose some games while JS is on the mend - it will give PT to some lesser players who may need it. Solo is a prime example - a guy who should have been playing nightly in the NBDL before.... if not for the fact that our (then) GM was a stooge.

Overall though, every game JS is out is a game we play without one of our primary weapons. I hope he heals quick. :angel19:

• Premium Member
I think we will miss Josh's defense more than his offense.

I can't believe anybody would say that not having Josh Smith is good. However, they said the same about Josh Childress. I think there's a hate in Atlanta. Atlanta hates it's own players. Smith is probably the second best shot blocker in the league. His shot blocking intimidates and allows our other defensive players to play loose. How is loosing that a "Good thing"??

I think we will miss Josh's defense more than his offense.

for sure.

I'm of the opinion the offense will be a little bit better for reasons already said in this thread. But when looking at points differential losing Josh is probably gonna cost us a good amount.

Another positive to take from this though is the fact solo and morris are gonna be put into the fire a little bit and we'll tell who's gonna be able to help us down the road and in the playoffs. If one of them (probably Solo) can become a guy who chews up minutes and gives the other bigs a little extra rest that'll be fantastic.

I don't see it. Smith provides energy, defense, game-changing dunks and blocks as well as a presence that forces offensive players to pump-fake two or three times. Our offense may make a stride, but where one area may improve another will not. Losing Josh is not a positive at all in my opinion; he just offers too much to our team that just is not found on our bench.

I don't see it. Smith provides energy, defense, game-changing dunks and blocks as well as a presence that forces offensive players to pump-fake two or three times. Our offense may make a stride, but where one area may improve another will not. Losing Josh is not a positive at all in my opinion; he just offers too much to our team that just is not found on our bench.

You got that pretty much right ion....there is NO WAY that we will be as effective without JS.....we need him....if we go .500 without him I will be impressed.

Smoove IS the best shot blocker in the league...BTW, that Mario West block last night was sick.

It made NBA.com as the block of the night...check it out.

But I agree, there's no way that this is a blessing. The sooner he gets back, the better. The only good thing that might come out of this is getting Horford more involved in the offense, which we needed to do anyway.

If we can play .500 without him, we might still have a hold on first place when we get him back, and poised to make a run.

MAKING THE BEST OF A BAD SITUATION.

I gotta believe that, in trying to put a positive spin on this, some may have misunderstood

what was being said.

It IS NOT a good thing to be missing our starting PF.

However, it may work out that the bench players who will be forced to play more minutes

with Josh missing time, will show us more talent/ability than they would have, had this

not happened.

If they do, this could be a very good, positive thing for the Hawks over the long season

ahead. It's not that Josh being injured is a good thing. Bench players getting the opportunity to play major minutes is the good part of the bad situation.

I think it's safe to say this wasn't a blessing in disguise. We can't even beat a garbage team like OKC without Josh.

We are in a helluva lot of trouble for the end of this month. That's just like this cursed franchise. Finally something going right and our 2nd best player gets hurt.

We are going to lose a helluva lot of games without Smoove

Edited by BusBoyIsBack