• Raised $440 of $700 target

Game 12: Atlanta VS Charlotte

gsuteke

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That game pissed me off more than any game this year. The Bobcats were just waiting to lay down but the Hawks wouldn't oblige. 20 turnovers against a team that isn't putting out much effort on D is a joke.

It still counts but they really need to get their heads in the game.

That game pissed me off more than any game this year. The Bobcats were just waiting to lay down but the Hawks wouldn't oblige. 20 turnovers against a team that isn't putting out much effort on D is a joke.

I agree that this game was frustrating, but it's pretty funny that we can be frustrated with barely beating a team that just last year completely had our number and especially so when we don't have our 2nd best player.

I'm not sure that they were waiting to lay down though as I must have heard Nique say at least a dozen times that the Bobcats weren't going away (between him talking about heat checks of course) lol.

Positives to take from tonight are that we continue to shoot the 3 pretty well, Al looked healthy, Marvin made another huge 3 late, and even though he wasn't shooting great all night Joe still had a pretty darn good game.

Negatives are that we looked sloppy on offense with careless ball handling and way too much ball hogging. They were able to take it to the hole on us for most of the night whenever they wanted, although it seemed that we got a little better defensively in the 4th.

So far this season we have played up or down to our level of competition in almost every game so let's see how we come out in Cleveland tomorrow night. I don't expect a win but I'd love to see us compete and play a smart game.

• Premium Member

Hey Ex, you HAVE TO add the pictures here to your collection:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=854372

• Premium Member

Our offensive system stinks period. We run no complex plays requiring more than 2 players to touch the ball. We continue to post up players that are not good post up players with no advantage. We go Isolation 90% of the time with joe going one on 3 resulting in a fall away perimeter shot half the time. I keep waiting on Bibby to make consecutive point guard plays on offense. This team's point guard position has to be the most under utilized position in the NBA. THIS OFFENSE HAS TO BE FIXED AND SOON! This team runs more plays for Zaza, Horford and Solomon Jones than Marvin Williams which is puzzling to me!

Hawks hold off Bobcats at home

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, November 21, 2008

All-Star and captain Joe Johnson isn’t the only Hawks player willing or able to take big shots with a game on the line.

Marvin Williams and Moe Evans got in on the action Friday night.

More on ajc.com

Photos from the game

RELATED STORIES

Former Hawk Harrington traded

Hawks not satisfied with season's start

Hawks line-up shuffled with Horford out

More Hawks coverage

When Johnson was hounded by Charlotte defensive ace Gerald Wallace with the game on the line late at Philips Arena, it was Williams and Evans who made clutch shots in the final two minutes that helped the Hawks escape with an 88-83 victory.

“They were doubling, and we had mismatches and we tried to take advantage of that,” Evans said. “We knew guys were going to have open shots on the perimeter. And it was our job to knock them down.”

Johnson knocked down two free throws with 15.4 seconds left to help seal the outcome for the Hawks (8-4), and Mike Bibby added one more and a rebound of his own miss with 5.4 seconds left.

But the efforts of Williams, who played hero with a huge 3-pointer in the final seconds of a victory over Washington on Wednesday, and Evans stood out.

Williams had his second straight double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds, capping his night with a 3-pointer from the corner for an 83-81 lead with 2:12 to play.

Evans, who finished with 10 points and 10 rebounds, nailed a back-breaking pull-up 18-footer with 1:24 to play for an 85-81 lead that kept the Bobcats at arm’s length.

“They were open,” said Johnson, who finished with a game-high 30 points and eight assists, the last of which was a pass to Evans for his final shot. “And my philosophy is that if a guy is open, I’m going to pass it to him.

“I was getting into the paint and drawing two and three defenders and kicking it out, and we were making that extra pass and they were wide open knocking down shots. That’s the way the game is supposed to be played.”

All of it was much-needed for a Hawks team that has to face another stiff road test tonight in Cleveland before finally getting a little break in the schedule.

“We had big shots, but we had big stops,” Williams said. “I think the stops were bigger. For a while it seemed like they weren’t going to miss. So we had to get the stops first and the offense just came within the flow. And we’re always trying to take the pressure off of Joe. If he doesn’t have to play 45 grueling minutes a night now, it’ll help us out in March and April.”

The Hawks committed a season-high 21 turnovers, miscues that the Bobcats converted into 24 points. And they were outscored 38-22 in the paint. They trailed by as many as 13 points in the first quarter and somehow still managed to settle down and win.

“It wasn’t pretty early,” Williams said. “We’re still down with Josh Smith out, and Al [Horford] was playing his first game back, so we knew it was going to be a rough go. But we hung in there.”

Surviving Bobcats rookie point guard D.J. Augustin’s one-man assault might have been the Hawks’ biggest accomplishment of the night.

The cat-quick Augustin, all 6-foot and 180 pounds of him, put on a spectacular offensive display, including a 7-for-11 showing from beyond the 3-point line and finishing with 26 points and seven assists. Wallace added 17 points and 10 rebounds. The Hawks were able to keep anyone else from reaching double figures.

“I thought our defense hung in there when we had the big stops in the last minute or two minutes of the ball game,” Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. “They didn’t really get anything at the rim. It was a total team effort.”

Our offensive system stinks period. We run no complex plays requiring more than 2 players to touch the ball. We continue to post up players that are not good post up players with no advantage.

Agreed PB....it reminds me of one of the last scenes from "Apocalypse Now"....where Col. Kurtz asks the young Captain Willard "You don't approve of my methods?" And the Captain replied - "respectfully sir...I don't see any method...at all."

Just got in from a night on the town...reading the reports and looking at the stats, it seems like the Hawks did everything they could to lose the game and somehow ended up winning. 21 turnovers? No points for almost 5 minutes to start? Joe getting T'd up?

But eh. I am not about to complain about the style of wins, not with the way this team is right now. A w is a w is a w. 8-4 is still nice. :)

I agree that this game was frustrating, but it's pretty funny that we can be frustrated with barely beating a team that just last year completely had our number and especially so when we don't have our 2nd best player.

Remember that they were without JRich who has had some big games against us in the past.

Especially while Josh is out, a win is a win (is a win). I don't care whether it was the Cats at home with no Richardson. Its another mark in the debit column.

The fact that Al was almost a non-factor (from the box score at least), Flip was bad Flip again, Acie did his Acie thing (nothing), Solo was quiet (the kid does try), and Zaza was hurting just makes the win that much sweeter right now.

Acie had a good game. He was constantly ignored on offense purposely because of the ball hogging by Flip and the no offense by Woody.Nothing but one on one. He would be in for 5 minutes and had not touched the ball once. and it's not because of him not wanting it. I'm sick of watching Flip dominating the ball.and i'm sick of the 2 man offense with Joe and Bibby. I'm sick of having no offense and i'm sick of Woody, who designs all this. The offense won't be fixed till he's gone.and the team won't reach their potential till he's gone.

Acie had a good game. He was constantly ignored on offense purposely because of the ball hogging by Flip and the no offense by Woody.Nothing but one on one. He would be in for 5 minutes and had not touched the ball once. and it's not because of him not wanting it. I'm sick of watching Flip dominating the ball.and i'm sick of the 2 man offense with Joe and Bibby. I'm sick of having no offense and i'm sick of Woody, who designs all this. The offense won't be fixed till he's gone.and the team won't reach their potential till he's gone.

wait a second...

Hotlanta??????