• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Falcons vs Carolina

DrReality

Great showing again by our new Falcons! I honestly didn't think we were going to compete in this game because of how we played last week and how Carolina beat us the first time. But this is a new team. Way to go Falcons! Can you believe we are on the verge of making the playoffs? Just a few more wins and we should be able to make it.

This is a performance Douglas was due for. He's always been quick, but he was dropping passes. We have a good receiver corp to go with our backfield. Our line has been surprisingly good (I'll just forget about how Julius Peppers manhandled whoever was in front of him). How about Turner running through 4 people for the TD on a 4th and 1! Now we have a special teams threat in Douglas. The Falcons could still win this division.

Anderson needs to learn how to finish off plays. He could have had about 2 sacks had he just grabbed the quarterback instead of being fooled by simple side steps. Brooking has lost quite a few steps, and they exploited that with outside runs to his side. Although he made a great play at the goal line, I still believe Milloy is a liability in coverage. However, we can still win against any team on our schedule and we really need to win them all.

Where have we been hiding Harry D?

I remember on draft day, one of the talking heads was very assertive in his opinion that Harry Douglas was going to be a very good player. You usually hear a perfunctory praise/critique of guys being drafted that far down, not that he was that late of a pick. But I specifically remember how one guy had nothing but adament praise for the pick.

Great game by the Falcons.

I thought Ryan played another outstanding game. Turner looked good. The o-line is playing better now that Weiner seems to be getting healthy. Still, I would like to have Baker back as soon as he's healthy. That guys is a beast.

Harry D. You guys have already said it. I cann't say how glad I am that Mr. Muff, Adam Jennings, is gone from the team. He was simply a terrible punt returner. Douglas has that knack to get the ball in stride and just head up field.

On defense, same old song. Brooking is on his last leg. I can't see him being with the team next year. Lawyer still makes some plays, so I am fine with him. Anderson is what he is. A good run stuffer. He should be moved to DT.

FWIW, the Falcons look like they are a few players away from being dominant. I find that amazing considering how awful they were last year and how bare the cubbord seemed when TD took over.

My offseason whish list:

1) A big, ruggeged DT. We need to replace Gravy Jackson with you and more explosiveness

2) A pass-rushing end. Anderson is looking more and more like a DT. Another DE that can actually get a sack and the Falcons have a dominant d-line.

3) A Will LB that can play within 5 yards of the DL (Stephen Nichols who is already on the team may be that guy)

4) A hard hitting SS to replace Malloy (DeCoud may be that guy)

Adding those 4 would dramatically improve the defense significantly.

Great game by the Falcons.

I thought Ryan played another outstanding game. Turner looked good. The o-line is playing better now that Weiner seems to be getting healthy. Still, I would like to have Baker back as soon as he's healthy. That guys is a beast.

Harry D. You guys have already said it. I cann't say how glad I am that Mr. Muff, Adam Jennings, is gone from the team. He was simply a terrible punt returner. Douglas has that knack to get the ball in stride and just head up field.

On defense, same old song. Brooking is on his last leg. I can't see him being with the team next year. Lawyer still makes some plays, so I am fine with him. Anderson is what he is. A good run stuffer. He should be moved to DT.

FWIW, the Falcons look like they are a few players away from being dominant. I find that amazing considering how awful they were last year and how bare the cubbord seemed when TD took over.

My offseason whish list:

1) A big, ruggeged DT. We need to replace Gravy Jackson with you and more explosiveness

2) A pass-rushing end. Anderson is looking more and more like a DT. Another DE that can actually get a sack and the Falcons have a dominant d-line.

3) A Will LB that can play within 5 yards of the DL (Stephen Nichols who is already on the team may be that guy)

4) A hard hitting SS to replace Malloy (DeCoud may be that guy)

Adding those 4 would dramatically improve the defense significantly.

I believe the tight end position is one of the top needs that we need to address this offseason especially because the tight end position is so deep in the draft. Pettigrew and Gresham are complete tight ends and have a shot at falling to us in the second round. If not, there are some tight ends in the later rounds who can block as well as catch the ball. Hartsock and Peelle are solid tight ends, but they aren't reliable in the endzone. I believe our offense will be one of the best offenses in the league if we can find a tight end who can block as good as he can catch. Someone that comes to mind is Brandon Pettigrew from Miami.

I also agree that a run stuffing nose tackle is the biggest need, then if we don't resign Michael Boley, outside linebacker will be close behind it. I'm going to make a mock draft for FalcFans.com soon, so I expect to address all those subjects soon. Some players I'm especially interested in getting are B.J. Raji (Boston College, NT, Projected 1st-2nd Rd.) and Aaron Curry (Wake Forest, OLB, Projected Top 15 Overall).

Don't care for his writing, but when was the last time you could say this about our O line????????

Falcons’ O-line reverses position

By Terence Moore

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Nobody involved with Atlanta sports got ripped more often in recent years than Falcons offensive linemen, and there was a reason for this: They were awful.

Only six NFL teams allowed more sacks than the Falcons’ silly total of 133 the previous three seasons.

Now get this when it comes to what essentially is that same group: They are awesome.

They rank as the hidden reason for all that is good for the 7-4 Falcons right now. Matt Ryan’s veteran play as a rookie. The splendid pounding of Michael Turner in his first season as a featured NFL running back. An opportunistic defense that is rested for long stretches courtesy of the offense’s sustained drives. The explosion at wide receiver, particularly that of Roddy White.

After allowing 47 sacks last year, the Falcons’ offensive line is on pace for barely 19 this season. That means Ryan has time to throw, which gives White and others chances to catch and shine. Plus, only the New York Giants rush for more yards per game than the Falcons.

What’s up with this?

“I think it’s the new coaching staff, and just the climate around the facility has been completely different than before,” said guard Justin Blalock, the epitome of it all. He is prospering in his second NFL season after having “bust” as his middle name as a rookie. As for that new coaching staff and climate, Blalock was referring to head coach Mike Smith in general and offensive line coach Paul Boudreau in particular.

While Smith has brought professionalism to the Falcons after a year with overmatched college guy Bobby Petrino and Jim Mora’s buddy approach with players before that, Boudreau has brought two decades of NFL competence. He was inheriting incompetence with the Falcons’ offensive line, or so it seemed.

Nice-guy tackle Todd Weiner bit his lip, before saying, “Yeah, I mean, it’s hard for me to say we were bad, because we led the league in rushing [for three straight years through 2006]. Then all of a sudden we had this negative press.”

Weiner thought about Boudreau, before chuckling, “He heard all that stuff that was said about us, too. I don’t know how he took it.”

Well, Boudreau heard it, studied it, and then forgot about it. He held an open competition. He also implemented more than a few X’s and O’s.

“What I tried to do on my first day on the job was to say, ‘Hey, listen,’ ” said Boudreau, whose lines have helped the likes of Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas and Fred Taylor. “I told them, ‘Some of you guys are set in your ways. Hey, Tiger Woods is the best golfer in the world, and he has a coach. So I might not be here to change everything about you, but if it’s working, I’m going to leave you alone. If it’s not working, we’re going to change it. And if you start to stray off and go back to bad habits, we’re going to get it corrected.’

“With their hand placement, with their footwork, with their stances, they’ve really jumped on board.”

So much so that they’ve bonded on and off the field. Rookie tackle Sam Baker has this deal on Friday mornings, when he provides breakfast for the group during its weekly chat before coaches arrive. Veteran center Todd McClure just fried a turkey for everybody at his home.

The biggest thing: Falcons offensive linemen aren’t turkeys by Thanksgiving for the first time in years

I believe the tight end position is one of the top needs that we need to address this offseason especially because the tight end position is so deep in the draft. Pettigrew and Gresham are complete tight ends and have a shot at falling to us in the second round. If not, there are some tight ends in the later rounds who can block as well as catch the ball. Hartsock and Peelle are solid tight ends, but they aren't reliable in the endzone. I believe our offense will be one of the best offenses in the league if we can find a tight end who can block as good as he can catch. Someone that comes to mind is Brandon Pettigrew from Miami.

I also agree that a run stuffing nose tackle is the biggest need, then if we don't resign Michael Boley, outside linebacker will be close behind it. I'm going to make a mock draft for FalcFans.com soon, so I expect to address all those subjects soon. Some players I'm especially interested in getting are B.J. Raji (Boston College, NT, Projected 1st-2nd Rd.) and Aaron Curry (Wake Forest, OLB, Projected Top 15 Overall).

I thought about a TE, but the offense is moving the ball without one. Second, White, Jenkins and Fin are all tall receivers which can mimic what the TE does for an offense in the red zone. So, even though I agree that TEs are important pieces in most NFL offenses, I think the Falcons can wait another season to go and get one in the first 3 rounds due to what they already have in the WRs.

The defense needs a talent infusion in the worst way. Smith/van Goerder have been doing it all season with smoke and mirrors, but in the playoffs the defense will get exposed. Thus, I would like to see the team spend most of the next draft picking up defense, esp in the first 3 rounds.

The guys you mention are good prospects. I am esp interested in Raji as he looks like the type of tackle that can really fit in with Smith's defensive philosophy.

I thought about a TE, but the offense is moving the ball without one. Second, White, Jenkins and Fin are all tall receivers which can mimic what the TE does for an offense in the red zone. So, even though I agree that TEs are important pieces in most NFL offenses, I think the Falcons can wait another season to go and get one in the first 3 rounds due to what they already have in the WRs.

The defense needs a talent infusion in the worst way. Smith/van Goerder have been doing it all season with smoke and mirrors, but in the playoffs the defense will get exposed. Thus, I would like to see the team spend most of the next draft picking up defense, esp in the first 3 rounds.

The guys you mention are good prospects. I am esp interested in Raji as he looks like the type of tackle that can really fit in with Smith's defensive philosophy.

I disagree. We shouldn't wait for another offseason to grab a tight end in the Draft because the tight ends are stacked this year (like I said). And our offense is doing well without a true tight end, but you can just think about how much it will improve when we can get a tight end who can block and catch. Ben Hartsock and Justin Peelle are not outstanding receivers. Matt Ryan will need a big red zone target other than Michael Jenkins, and don't say Brian Finneran is a liable receiver. I highly doubt we would even keep him after this season. He doesn't bring much else to the table other than one or two catches a game, and we can find a younger and most likely better receiver who would have much more upside this offseason. I firmly believe that the tight end position is the most undervalued need in terms of the Falcons' fanbase and whatnot. I don't think you realize how important a tight end is in terms of further developing a young quarterback, solidifying your red zone offense, and keeping the linebackers in check on running plays.

I disagree. We shouldn't wait for another offseason to grab a tight end in the Draft because the tight ends are stacked this year (like I said). And our offense is doing well without a true tight end, but you can just think about how much it will improve when we can get a tight end who can block and catch. Ben Hartsock and Justin Peelle are not outstanding receivers. Matt Ryan will need a big red zone target other than Michael Jenkins, and don't say Brian Finneran is a liable receiver. I highly doubt we would even keep him after this season. He doesn't bring much else to the table other than one or two catches a game, and we can find a younger and most likely better receiver who would have much more upside this offseason. I firmly believe that the tight end position is the most undervalued need in terms of the Falcons' fanbase and whatnot. I don't think you realize how important a tight end is in terms of further developing a young quarterback, solidifying your red zone offense, and keeping the linebackers in check on running plays.

you sound like Dan Reeves. :tease:

Yes, I do happen to understand the importance of TE play. I agree that the two TEs on the roster are not good receivers. Finn is up and down, but what a TE does in the RZ is mimicked by Finn and Jenkins. Note, you can also use the FB to get the sort of yards that a TE does. The pass to the FB in the flat has disappeared in recent years, but that was a staple of the 49ers and Dallas offenses in the late 80s and 90s. I would love to see Mugs being used in that manner.

Would I like to see a great TE here? Sure, but give me the option of selecting a guy of equal talent in each of the first 3 rounds on the defensive side of the ball, you have to go defense over the TE this offseason.

All things being equal, and the fact that there are a limited number of draft picks, the Falcons should focus on defense in the upcoming draft. The reason is that the defense is a sinking ship. It needs a talent infusion fast.

Second, Mularky's offense doesn't utilize the TE like many teams do. Its just his system.

Of course none of this discussion takes in what can be had in FA. Maybe the Falcons can find a Will LB or SS there. In that case spending a 3rd round pick on a TE makes a lot more sense.

Yes, I do happen to understand the importance of TE play. I agree that the two TEs on the roster are not good receivers. Finn is up and down, but what a TE does in the RZ is mimicked by Finn and Jenkins. Note, you can also use the FB to get the sort of yards that a TE does. The pass to the FB in the flat has disappeared in recent years, but that was a staple of the 49ers and Dallas offenses in the late 80s and 90s. I would love to see Mugs being used in that manner.

Would I like to see a great TE here? Sure, but give me the option of selecting a guy of equal talent in each of the first 3 rounds on the defensive side of the ball, you have to go defense over the TE this offseason.

All things being equal, and the fact that there are a limited number of draft picks, the Falcons should focus on defense in the upcoming draft. The reason is that the defense is a sinking ship. It needs a talent infusion fast.

Second, Mularky's offense doesn't utilize the TE like many teams do. Its just his system.

Of course none of this discussion takes in what can be had in FA. Maybe the Falcons can find a Will LB or SS there. In that case spending a 3rd round pick on a TE makes a lot more sense.

If you don't believe Dimitroff sees that much value in the tight end position, I hope you remember that the Falcons reportedly offered a second round draft selection to Kansas City for Tony Gonzalez who ended up declining to go to Atlanta.

If you don't believe Dimitroff sees that much value in the tight end position, I hope you remember that the Falcons reportedly offered a second round draft selection to Kansas City for Tony Gonzalez who ended up declining to go to Atlanta.

I never said that, and you know it.

Second, TD has shown that he picks the best value, not the best value at a given position.

Third, the operative word is reportedly, until shown otherwise its just hearsay.

The Falcons may very well take a TE early, but that does not negate the reality that the defense is need of a significant infusion of talent. Hence, my position that the team would do itself a lot of good by using the first 3 picks on defense.