• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would you trade Al for a C with a post presence...

Diesel

Would you trade Al  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Just wondering who would trade Al or Smoove for a C with post presence.

I'll Skip D. Howard because we already know that he's not up for Bid.

Let's mention a few names.

1. Biedrins.

2. Bogut

3. Dalembert

4. Kaman

5. Bynum

6. Nene.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Biedrins is killing. He has really progressed nicely. Bogut is too soft. Dalembert has no post game and neither does NeNe. I havent seen enough of Bynum and I dont think LA is letting him go. I just dont know enough about Kayman but the little Ive seen I dont like.

Is the question whether I'd trade Al/Josh for any of those guys or all of them or what?

As far as "post presence" I think Bynum, Kaman, and Bogut are the only ones that really post up any, Bynum and Bogut being the two that have some potential to be good to very good offensive players. Biedrins isn't really a traditional "post player" but he is a force in the paint.

I'd probably trade Josh or Al for Bynum just because the potential, also, he's the only one on that list that could replace Josh's impact on D.

I might trade either for Biedrins, but I want to see how Josh plays when he gets back and how Biedrins plays for the rest of the season.

I would probably trade Al for Bogut, although if Al can get to a point where he can be a very good low post defender, I think he'd fit the team better.

• Moderators

I don't think our team plays to guys individual strengths. So I don't think we've seen what some guys like Al are capable of offensively. I do know that JJ, Smoove, Al are the core of this franchise so giving up one of them better bring back a really complete player. My feeling is that however you end up with difference makers you keep them. While they all may have weaknesses in their game they all three are difference makers. I'd think we build around them. We have some other players that could get us some more inside help

I would rather go for a better PG than a center right now, all things being equal.

The Smith/Horford combination works as long as they are healthy.

The Bibby/Horford/Zaza combo doesn't work on either end of the floor.

Get a PG that can play some D and the Horford/Z combo works better, IMO.

• Premium Member

Of those 6 guys you listed, none are better than Horford offensively, except MAYBE Bogut. But I'd trade Horford for those guys (except Nene) just because they are legit 7 footers and play decent D. Daly is iffy just because his BBIQ is horrible, and he will really make you pull your hair out.

But, those guys don't have any more offensive post presence than Horford.

I maintain what I said in that thread - Al's value might never be higher than it was over the summer because no one was looking at his flaws. The thought, echoed by Dol in his rebuke to me, was basically "he was a rookie and he got better all season and therefore there is no ceiling to what he could become," Dol also said that Al was already a better defender than Smith but now I'm just drudging up the past (your my boy Dol, no hard feelings).

I also think that if Al can develop into a good post defender, we can have that quick -switching team that BK envisioned. I think Al can efficiently score in the mid-teens off transition buckets, offensive boards, his mid-range J, and moving around off the ball (he's got good hands around the hoop) and finishing if he sticks to his strengths. If so, he would probably fit the team as well as any of those guys except Bynum or maybe Bogut (or Biedrins if he continues at this pace all season but he's not going to, I'm pretty confident of that).

Edited by crimedog

• Premium Member

Bottom line is that Horford is NOT a center. Everyone in the NBA knows it. The Hawks know it.

Of the names on D's list, Biedrins, Daly, and Nene are not consistent post scorers. Bynum is untouchable.

I would consider trading Horford for Kaman and Bogut, but's that's about it on the list...

Looks like opinions have changed quite a bit since last summer when most here thought that they would rather keep Horford over Smith.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....&hl=Horford

It is funny to see how a lot of people seem to be jumping off Al's bandwagon. Personally, I think that is ridiculous. He is hurt and his lateral mobility is significantly limited right now. His ankle will get healthy soon enough and when it does, I fully expect to start seeing a nightly double double from him. I still think he will be a 13/11 guy this season.

Looks like opinions have changed quite a bit since last summer when most here thought that they would rather keep Horford over Smith.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....&hl=Horford

I've been thinking about that very thread for a week or so now but was too lazy to find and bump it. Funny that people that wanted to trade Smoove for any big and ride "Natural 4" Al to 20/10 are now looking to Smoove as the savior and can't wait for his return...

EDIT: That wasn't the thread I was thinking about, but an interesting read nonetheless. I was thinking about one where dawsonscreek and exodus went at it for posts on end. I may have been mixed up in that one too. I just remember thinking Smoove was being drastically undervalued relative to Smooth.

Edited by jhay610

Just wondering who would trade Al or Smoove for a C with post presence.

I'll Skip D. Howard because we already know that he's not up for Bid.

Let's mention a few names.

1. Biedrins.

2. Bogut

3. Dalembert

4. Kaman

5. Bynum

6. Nene.

I'd trade him for Kaman without thinking twice. He is a good role player, but the Hawks need more than a role player start with jj being the only consistent option. I'm not sure Nene would be an upgrade. Dally? Nah.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

It is funny to see how a lot of people seem to be jumping off Al's bandwagon. Personally, I think that is ridiculous. He is hurt and his lateral mobility is significantly limited right now. His ankle will get healthy soon enough and when it does, I fully expect to start seeing a nightly double double from him. I still think he will be a 13/11 guy this season.

Eh, I think there has been some over-reaction to Horford's early play. We gave Josh a month and a half grace period last season when he was shooting terribly and gave Joe a 4 month grace period when his shot was off. On the other hand, I think there has to be so realignment of expectations for Al. People were just blindly ignoring his shortcomings because he worked hard and had a great attitude. You go over on the RealGM board and there is still a thread up about how Al could be the next Malone (or Tim Duncan as someone else mentioned in there) and you heard that type of thing around here over the summer quite a bit.

I think what people have to get into their heads is that Al just doesn't have the offensive game of one of those guys (or Brand, Boozer, Jefferson, etc.). For the near future especially, Al would be best served playing as a tough nosed role player who really threw himself into post D and offensive rebounding and used his touches on the offensive end to draw contact using an advantage in explosiveness and ball-control against bigger, slower centers.