• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would you trade Al for a C with a post presence...

Diesel

Would you trade Al  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll admit that I overvalue the players on my home teams. Given that tendency you can predict that I'd not trade either of our guys for any of those guys....yet.

A few of those guys might be a better fit for our team but I'm just not sure what we have won't work, plus it's fun to watch. One big factor that kicks in also is I feel our bigs seem to be physically durable and mentally tough. I like Bynum and Kaman but they both do have injury concerns. Smoove sometimes acts up but you can always tell he has heart. Same with Horford.

If we get knocked out of the playoffs first round this year and start next year somewhat slow, THEN I'd probably make a similar move and try to trade for a more traditional big.

Btw, I saw the Chicago domination by Horford, I still think he can be better than Boozer.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is funny to see how a lot of people seem to be jumping off Al's bandwagon. Personally, I think that is ridiculous. He is hurt and his lateral mobility is significantly limited right now. His ankle will get healthy soon enough and when it does, I fully expect to start seeing a nightly double double from him. I still think he will be a 13/11 guy this season.

Horford didn't get hurt until the Indy game. he had scored 10 pts or fewer in 6 of the 8 games he had played before then. he has scored over 12 pts only once, against the pathetic Noah/Tyrus front line of the Bulls.

he didn't step up his scoring at all when Smith went out and his defense doesn't look so good without Smith around to bail him out.

His 9/8 average shooting 46% isn't giving me any visions of Boozer or Amare.

• Premium Member

Meh.

He's a 22 y.o., 2nd-year player playing out of position as the team's 4th option. He's also being asked to carry the team's defensive load with Smith out, so I think it's fair to think he's a little fatigued on the offensive end.

He'll be just fine.

Meh.

He's a 22 y.o., 2nd-year player playing out of position as the team's 4th option. He's also being asked to carry the team's defensive load with Smith out, so I think it's fair to think he's a little fatigued on the offensive end.

He'll be just fine.

Just fine and multiple All-Star are different things. I think people's expectations for Horford got way ahead of his talent. Now i think those expectations are coming back in line.

Horford is from the same HS class as Smith and Marvin. This years rookies didn't waste any time lighting up the scoreboard and they were one and done. Horford was a 13 ppg player in college so it is a pretty big reach to think he will be a big time scorer in the pros.

Just wondering who would trade Al or Smoove for a C with post presence.

I'll Skip D. Howard because we already know that he's not up for Bid.

Let's mention a few names.

1. Biedrins.

2. Bogut

3. Dalembert

4. Kaman

5. Bynum

6. Nene.

only player on that list that I would trade for Horford is Bynum but I dont think Lakers would trade him unless they are getting back a star..he will be that good. I like Kaman and Bogut too but I just think Horford will end up being better than those guys.

And plus, I think Horford's post game is alright. he settles for the mid range jumper too much now tho..would like to see him play with his back to the basket more

Speaking of centers there is a guy on Kansas by the name of Cole Aldrich that may be worth keeping an eye on. He could stand to put on a little weight but he has good size and mobility. It also looks like he has very long arms.

I don't know what kind of skills he has since i am watching him for the first time.

• Premium Member
Just fine and multiple All-Star are different things. I think people's expectations for Horford got way ahead of his talent. Now i think those expectations are coming back in line.

Horford is from the same HS class as Smith and Marvin. This years rookies didn't waste any time lighting up the scoreboard and they were one and done. Horford was a 13 ppg player in college so it is a pretty big reach to think he will be a big time scorer in the pros.

That I agree with.

That said, I never thought he had to be a great scorer to be an extremely vital player. Plus, low post scoring in the NBA takes time to develop. If he ever gets moved to his natural position (and the position he can create mismatches at), he'll likely develop those skills more in line with his talent.

That I agree with.

That said, I never thought he had to be a great scorer to be an extremely vital player. Plus, low post scoring in the NBA takes time to develop. If he ever gets moved to his natural position (and the position he can create mismatches at), he'll likely develop those skills more in line with his talent.

How is he a mismatch at the 4? The fact is he has more of a mismatch at the 5 because of a big speed advantage. He just won't use it.

His strength.

He doesn't have a great post game. There are very few players that have to ability to simply over-power opponents, in fact that list right now is Shaq and Dwight. Otherwise, you have to be able to use finesse. Putting aside the fact that he's never shown that he can dominate with is back to the basket (the only points I saw him get from a post-up against Chi were free-throws against Aaron Gray) - if he's consistently getting points from post-ups, because he's too strong, they'll just put a bigger guy on him and force him to try and do what he should be doing now which is use an obvious advantage and face-up. The only way to prevent THAT is to get an even better post player next to him at C, and if we could do that, we'd be building around that guy. You get me?

Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Amare Stoudemire, Al Jefferson... all these guys can score against Cs as well as they can against PFs (not to mention guys like Malone, McHale, Garnett). They are bigger mismatches against centers because there are few centers that can handle a guy like Brand, Boozer, or Amare from 15 feet out.

His strength.

Please. The only guys he has been able to overpower are sticks like Noah and Tyrus. The LAST thing he should be trying to do is overpower guys. At 245 he isn't going to overpower guys like Brand, Howard, Boozer, Amare, Ben Wallace, Okafor etc. At the 4 his size/strength is about average.

he has had no success trying to back guys down regardless of what position he is playing. Watching him try to back down Ben Wallace was a joke.

Playing center sure didn't hurt the scoring of Bosh or Amare.

• Premium Member

Why did both of you assume that strength is an asset only on offense with the ball in one's hands???

At the 4, Horford is a rare combination of strength, intelligence, and effort. He also has adequate height and range for a 4.

At the 5, he's quicker than most 5's on offense, but undersized on D.

It's not complicated.

Why did both of you assume that strength is an asset only on offense with the ball in one's hands???

Probably because we have been talking about his lack of scoring.

Plus you mentioned "(the position he can create mismatches at)" so by that comment it is pretty clear you are talking about offense.

I don't see how you can claim that Horford creates mismatches on defense then in the next breath say "He also has adequate height and range for a 4."

At the 4, Horford is a rare combination of strength, intelligence, and effort. He also has adequate height and range for a 4.

At the 5, he's quicker than most 5's on offense, but undersized on D.

It's not complicated.

... but he doesn't necessarilly do better against 4s on D. He doesn't do as well against Bosh because Bosh plays him like he would a C and faces him up. Same with Boozer.

If he's working off the ball against a 5, he should be able to move around and get open looks that way because of that effort and quickness advantage. Thats less on him and more on coaching though, we have to ask him to do that.

I'm not saying that he definitely wouldn't be better, but you haven't explained why he'd better (at least on offense) at the 4 than at the 5. We have done our part and explained why he might not be.

... but he doesn't necessarilly do better against 4s on D. He doesn't do as well against Bosh because Bosh plays him like he would a C and faces him up. Same with Boozer.

If he's working off the ball against a 5, he should be able to move around and get open looks that way because of that effort and quickness advantage. Thats less on him and more on coaching though, we have to ask him to do that.

I'm not saying that he definitely wouldn't be better, but you haven't explained why he'd better (at least on offense) at the 4 than at the 5. We have done our part and explained why he might not be.

I have to agree with you guys on this. I don't see why Al would NECESSARILY be a better offensive player at the 4 than at the 5. Guys like Bosh, Amare, Jefferson and Randolph are going to score every bit as much at the 5 as they would at the 4. Where they will likely struggle is on the defensive end.

Al's offensive game needs to continue to develop. Period. He will likely always be somewhat mechanical on offense but he needs to develop at least ONE post move that is a "quick" move because right now, he is just too deliberate in his approach EVERY time. It seems to take him at least 4 or 5 seconds to gather himself and figure out what he wants to do. Sometimes, he should just catch it and turn around and go straight up with it or fake a shot and drive to the hoop. He is too predictable right now. I still think he can improve there but it will take some work.

I have to agree with you guys on this. I don't see why Al would NECESSARILY be a better offensive player at the 4 than at the 5. Guys like Bosh, Amare, Jefferson and Randolph are going to score every bit as much at the 5 as they would at the 4. Where they will likely struggle is on the defensive end.

Al's offensive game needs to continue to develop. Period. He will likely always be somewhat mechanical on offense but he needs to develop at least ONE post move that is a "quick" move because right now, he is just too deliberate in his approach EVERY time. It seems to take him at least 4 or 5 seconds to gather himself and figure out what he wants to do. Sometimes, he should just catch it and turn around and go straight up with it or fake a shot and drive to the hoop. He is too predictable right now. I still think he can improve there but it will take some work.

Agreed.

And for the record, I would definitely trade Horford for Bynum or Biedrins.

Anyone else intrigued by the two young bigs on Sactown? Thompson and Hawes.