• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Someone Tell Me Why Smoove Is Still Chucking 3's?

JackB1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Smith looked like a mother chucker tonight in Houston.

:lol6:

Edited by NineOhTheRino

The shots are bad, but I'm tired of seeing him think he's a freaking point guard and try to lead the break when I have better handles than he does. He lost the chance to win the game against Dallas with this and he did it again last night.

I've got to question his intelegence. He can't be this dumb to not see it, can he?

• Moderators

Smoove took more than 3 attempts on 3 regular-season occasions in '07-08. Thus far, through seven contests in this injury-interrupted season he's chucked more than 3 attempts on 4 occasions.

He also took >3 shots in Games 3-5 of the seven-game Boston series, making 3-of-6 in Game 3... and then missing all ten shots in Games 4 and 5. In both the regular season and the playoffs the Hawx went 2-1. They're 3-1 this season so far, with last night's game against the Rox being the '1'. It may be that he mentally correlates his wide-open-three-point-shooting skillz with winning basketball, whether or not he's hitting them.

In games like last night, it feels great when he buries his first three-point bomb at that particular moment ("No, no, NO... YES!")... but the dread comes shortly thereafter when you realize he believes he's Mark friggin' Price. Bricks Ahoy!

Heavy doses of dunk attempts 'n three-point shots can be emblematic of forwards who are helplessly lost on offensive plays and uncomfortable with post moves. Coaching can help resolve the problem, but until Josh gets the help he needs and builds the confidence with ballhandling for coaches to run plays through him down low, he's doomed to interpreting his role on offense as an isolated one-man Highlight Factory (or, at times, Lowlight Factory).

I want Josh to become confident that he can readily get his threes the Old-Fashioned Way. I don't believe the coaching staff, as currently configured, is equipped to help in this area. He could use some additional tutelage from Hakeem or (once he gets fired) Kevin McHale to help him build his inside game. My fears that without competent intervention he'll morph into a shot-blocking Antoine Walker ("Employee #5?") is still out there.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

Smith's mid-range jumpshot is as ugly as his 3pt shooting. He HAS to work on it.

However his worst shot last night was airball from inside, 4 feet away from the basket.

4 foot jumper, shorted it by a foot.

Moreover, he was nearly uncontested shooting that one. Why couldn't he just have gone in and put it off the glass?

• Premium Member
4 foot jumper, shorted it by a foot.

Moreover, he was nearly uncontested shooting that one. Why couldn't he just have gone in and put it off the glass?

people (me included) being hard on Josh today. I feel sorry for the guy. No collage, he's still young, and he's only had 1 real coach so what should we expcet?