• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Deke looking to sign with somebody

Plainview1981

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/ar..._up_his_record/

Once Dikembe Mutombo passes out his gifts, he hopes to return to the NBA for a final season, possibly with the Celtics.

The 7-foot-2-inch, 260-pound center said last week he hopes to sign with a team after spending Christmas with his family in Atlanta. The four-time Defensive Player of the Year said among the teams that have shown interest are Boston, San Antonio, and Miami. The former Rocket also said Houston has "not answered me." The 42-year-old, who has blocked 3,278 shots during his 17-year career, said he is in "good shape" from working out three hours a day with spinning classes, yoga, and weightlifting.

"You'll see me in the next two weeks," Mutombo said. "I will be somewhere. I really need to go back to playing. I've just got to make sure that I go to a place where I can be happy. There are about four to five teams that I've been looking at and about seven teams that have shown interest. It's up to me to make my decision."

The Celtics have the maximum 15 players and would have to waive one to make room for Mutombo. While Boston's starting center spot is solidified with Kendrick Perkins, his backups include seldom-used Patrick O'Bryant and undersized Leon Powe and Glen Davis. The Celtics have not replaced the veteran experience and length that free agent P.J. Brown brought late last season and have interest in Mutombo, but have not offered him a contract.

"The way Boston is playing right now with [Kevin Garnett], Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen, the team is heading in a direction toward winning another championship," Mutombo said. "It will be interesting if I made the decision to go there. It would be very good. I've been to the Finals twice [with Philadelphia and New Jersey]. I got close, but I walked away empty-handed. Maybe going to Boston would give me a chance to win.

"I would love to play until July and then retire after this season," added the eight-time All-Star. "My plan is to play this season. If my mind is set to play basketball, why not?"

I would love to have Deke back but I think he goes to a team that has a legit shot at a title.

Yeah, he probably will. But there's not a lot of places where he'd fit-teams in the championship hunt who might need an extra big guy. The Lakers, for example, have no use for him.

He's probably not a fit in Cleveland either, where you'd got Ilgauskus, Varejao, Ben Wallace, and even Lorenzen is there warming the bench for them.

Boston might go for him-Patrick O'Bryant is their back-up center, and really they use the undersized Glen Davis in that role as well-they could use him.

Beyond them, who's a legitimate title contender who might employ his services? Is Orlando legit? Detroit doesn't look legit without Billups. New Orleans might be a fit, or perhaps San Antonio.

I guess the point is that I don't feel like we're completely out of the picture in terms of being a fit for him.