• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Welcome home Rafeal Furcal !

coachx

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_arc...gn_with_braves/

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article...8&fext=.jsp

Does this mean:

1. Escobar will be traded with prospects for Jake Peavy ? With Furcal at SS it makes even more sense.

2. Escobar or Furcal play 2nd base and Kelly Johnson goes back to LF ? strong batting lineup

3. Kelly Johnson is traded with a prospect for a legit #2 starter.

4. We keep everybody ! When Chipper gets hurt wither Furcal or Escobar play 3rd since they both have super strong arms and KJ goes back to 2nd...........Sounds good but its alot to ask players to bounce from LF to 2nd base and even SS to 3rd for more then 1 game here and there.

As much as I like Escobar I am hoping he is used to get one of the 4 best pitchers in baseball in Jake Peavy. I also think that would make John Smoltz and Tom Glavine more inclined to come back with their old teamate from the "good lole days", Furcal, back and a young stud like Peavy to tutor. In many ways Peavy is MUCH like Smoltz was in his 20.....a firey power pitcher.

Would that signal the return of Braves as legit contenders ?

Starting 5:

Peavy

Jurriens

Vasquez

Smoltz (healthy)

Glavine (healthy)

Lineup:

1. Furcal

2. K. Johnson

3. Chipper

4. McCann

5. Kotchman

6. Francoure

7. LF

8. CF

9. Pitcher

If we could get a guy to play LF, Bobby Abraue, perhaps to move into the 4 or 5 spot it would be a pretty strong lineup. Find a defensive minded speedster to patrol CF and bat him 8th.

Frank Wren has much more versitility to play with now.

Edited by coachx

According to the Braves site on MLB.com they have no intention of trading KJ, Furcal, or Escobar. The plan is to move KJ to left, keep Escobar at SS, and move Furcal to 2nd where his back my hold up better then at SS.

Its a nice lineup with some actual speed now and plenty of players who hit for average with decent (not great) power.

This is stance Wren should take. Make that Padres GM call you if the Peavy talks were to resume. Good move and "positioning" by Wren. A true ace pitcher is needed like Peavy but I like what they are telling the media. The Padres CANNOT think or assume that we now have to move Escobar. Wren still holds some good cards to play with.

I am glad to see Furcal back. Just hope we can keep him and Chipper healthy at least 140 games. If we can land that pitcher from the Royals,Zack Grinske...or something like that. Then I like the future of our rotation quite a bit. Just bring back Glavine and Smoltz. There is just no other pitcher out there worth going after except for Sheets. He may take a 1-2 year deal but it is likely going to be expensive.

Does this mean:

1. Escobar will be traded with prospects for Jake Peavy ? With Furcal at SS it makes even more sense.

2. Escobar or Furcal play 2nd base and Kelly Johnson goes back to LF ? strong batting lineup

4. We keep everybody ! When Chipper gets hurt wither Furcal or Escobar play 3rd since they both have super strong arms and KJ goes back to 2nd...........Sounds good but its alot to ask players to bounce from LF to 2nd base and even SS to 3rd for more then 1 game here and there.

As much as I like Escobar I am hoping he is used to get one of the 4 best pitchers in baseball in Jake Peavy. I also think that would make John Smoltz and Tom Glavine more inclined to come back with their old teamate from the "good lole days", Furcal, back and a young stud like Peavy to tutor. In many ways Peavy is MUCH like Smoltz was in his 20.....a firey power pitcher.

Starting 5:

Peavy

Jurriens

Vasquez

Smoltz (healthy)

Glavine (healthy)

Lineup:

1. Furcal

2. K. Johnson

3. Chipper

4. McCann

5. Kotchman

6. Francoure

7. LF

8. CF

9. Pitcher

If we could get a guy to play LF, Bobby Abraue, perhaps to move into the 4 or 5 spot it would be a pretty strong lineup. Find a defensive minded speedster to patrol CF and bat him 8th.

Only thing I would change is drop KJ to 6 in the lineup and Kotchman to the 2 hole.

KJ is developing power and flourished lower in the order towards the end of the year. Kotchman is a lot like Marc Grace. Good contact hitter who will take walks. Bobby can do a lot of hit and run with KC and Raffy at the top of the order.

For LF, I still say go after Dunn. Dude can hit some home runs. Bat him 4th and move the rest of the linup down.

• Moderators
According to the Braves site on MLB.com they have no intention of trading KJ, Furcal, or Escobar. The plan is to move KJ to left, keep Escobar at SS, and move Furcal to 2nd where his back my hold up better then at SS.

Its a nice lineup with some actual speed now and plenty of players who hit for average with decent (not great) power.

This is stance Wren should take. Make that Padres GM call you if the Peavy talks were to resume. Good move and "positioning" by Wren. A true ace pitcher is needed like Peavy but I like what they are telling the media. The Padres CANNOT think or assume that we now have to move Escobar. Wren still holds some good cards to play with.

I feel bad for whoever is playing first with Furcal throwing from 15 feet away.

• Premium Member

Does this mean:

Starting 5:

Peavy

Jurriens

Vasquez

Smoltz (healthy)

Glavine (healthy)

Lineup:

1. Furcal

2. K. Johnson

3. Chipper

4. McCann

5. Kotchman

6. Francoure

7. LF

8. CF

9. Pitcher

Not so fast on Furcal. I hope we land him but it looks like he may stay in LA. The question I have had all along is about the 40 million, the Braves still haven't spent it going after players and getting turned down. Do players not want to come to the Braves anymore??????????

This could get ugly.

Damn.

"Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that Rafael Furcal has decided to re-sign with the Dodgers.

That's where he'll be happiest, apparently, even though he still has a home in Atlanta. The Dodgers are fortunate to have him back, especially if it's just for two guaranteed seasons. Dec. 17 - 5:20 pm et"

-Rotoworld

Looks like Furcal used the Braves to increase the bid by the Dogers. Burnett seems to have done the same thing.

I wonder if this has to do with Bobby Cox nearing retirement and the rest of the Majors knowing that there are going to be significant changes on the way for the Braves. It used to be that everyone wanted to play for Bobby, but this offseason its becoming apparent that with Cox retiring soon, players are staying away.

My hopes for the offseason are starting to diminish. Loosing Burnett to the Yankees is one thing, but Furcal to the Dogers? :huh:

Hopefully Wren can correct the momentum, but its looking more like the Braves should punt on this offseason and load up for 2010. :kickcan:

• Premium Member
Looks like Furcal used the Braves to increase the bid by the Dogers. Burnett seems to have done the same thing.

I wonder if this has to do with Bobby Cox nearing retirement and the rest of the Majors knowing that there are going to be significant changes on the way for the Braves. It used to be that everyone wanted to play for Bobby, but this offseason its becoming apparent that with Cox retiring soon, players are staying away.

My hopes for the offseason are starting to diminish. Loosing Burnett to the Yankees is one thing, but Furcal to the Dogers? :huh:

Hopefully Wren can correct the momentum, but its looking more like the Braves should punt on this offseason and load up for 2010. :kickcan:

Yeah 2009 could not only be rough for the economy but the Braves also. Sad.

The whole Furcal situation sounds familar- oh yeah, like the 200+ million dollar decission won my McDavid vs. Time/Warner. Maybe the legal guys can shed more light on this, but it certainly has a similar sound, at least on the surface.

Well. Glad that's over with.

Was happy when he left. Sad when I heard he was coming back.

Now, I'm happy he's staying with the Dodgers.

He's a good player. He's not a great player. He has a 100 MPH fast ball

from the SS position and he loves to show it off. He may throw the runner

out or he may throw the ball away and the runner gets 2nd on the throw.

His stolen bases went way down until contract signing season, then went

up several notches. That tells us something. He's been injured. Braves

have enough injured players already, hoping they get well. Why add

to the list.

Besides all that, we need a power hitting outfielder and more starting

pitching. The Braves have a pretty good SS.

:conversation: