• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rate the Hawks Performance vs. BOS

frankthetank966

Rate the Hawks performance vs. the Celtics tonight.  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators
B plus. We don't really know how good Boston is yet. They could have, and are having, a record breaking year. Could turn out to be one of the great teams. That would make our performance an A.

Even if they have the greatest record in history this year, I stand by my B-. The problems we had that I think were most significant on offense were schematic - i.e., not a result of great defense by the Celtics. If we have more motion, picks, etc. and can draw up a few set plays we win that game. When we let Flip and Bibby try to take Rondo one-on-one the problem isn't the fact that they can't do it (which is to the credit of the Celtics) it is that we are stupid enough to try instead of taking Rondo away from the action and feeding the ball to the man Ray Allen, Paul Pierce or Kendrick Perkins is guarding.

The hawks defense was very good but their offense sucked. they made a bunch of stupid, unforced turnovers and the offensive sets were a joke. Frequently the shot clock had roughly 10 seconds on it by the time the Hawks made their first pass.

Even Bill Walton commented that the Hawks were doing too much dribbling and you know it must be bad for him to notice it.

Even if they have the greatest record in history this year, I stand by my B-. The problems we had that I think were most significant on offense were schematic - i.e., not a result of great defense by the Celtics. If we have more motion, picks, etc. and can draw up a few set plays we win that game. When we let Flip and Bibby try to take Rondo one-on-one the problem isn't the fact that they can't do it (which is to the credit of the Celtics) it is that we are stupid enough to try instead of taking Rondo away from the action and feeding the ball to the man Ray Allen, Paul Pierce or Kendrick Perkins is guarding.

Agreed as usual. If I knew more about the operating budget, I'd say to get on the phone and see if Eddie Jordan wants to come in as a "consultant" or something for the rest of the season. I do think that Woody has an offensive strategy he uses (very similar to the LB era Pistons' offense) but I just don't think it really fits in with our players outside of Bibby and to a lesser extent, Joe and Marv.

C+.

Hawks did some nice things on defense, but offense was pretty all around terrible. 7 missed free throws, 4 (I think?) in the fourth quarter. Missed some open jumpers, shot 7-24 from three, 36% shooting overall...even against a good defense, have to call it a terrible offensive performance. At least they got to line more than the Celtics did.

Dominique was saying it all night-the goal is to attack the rim, get shots moving toward the basket. Unfortunately, most of the team is willing to settle for jumpshots, even the team's worst shooters, in nearly every situation. Who was with me with about 3 minutes left when Josh Smith got the ball on the wing-I was shouting NO! as he caught the ball, NO! when he pumped faked the three, shouting NO! again as it became apparent he was setting up for the fade away, and screaming profanities as he airballed it.

Even if they have the greatest record in history this year, I stand by my B-. The problems we had that I think were most significant on offense were schematic -

This team has all the tools to have a fine offensive attack. It's so disappointing to watch them bleed almost the whole clock and then go into playground mode.

If we had a decent scheme and someone could put a harness around our untamed stallion (Smoove) we would be 10 points better than the C's at home - I really believe that.

Woody deserves some credit for getting the guys to play hard and play well defensively, but the offense is a joke.

Uh, I do.

Its a win. You usually need those to make the playoffs, no?

It's a win, but it's still just against some irrelevant team with a terrible overrated head coach and stat padding players. Some games mean more than others on levels other than standings.

Nelson basically tells his players to just go out and jack up shots. I wouldn't even call that coaching. You and I could do that.

• Moderators
Nelson basically tells his players to just go out and jack up shots. I wouldn't even call that coaching. You and I could do that.

I think you are drastically underselling Nelson. The last Warriors team with a winning record that wasn't coached by Nelson was the 1987-88 team led by George Karl.

If all he was doing was telling people to jack up shots, does that mean that the other coaches were all so bad that they were actually hurting their teams and that someone out of the stands who told guys to shoot would be better? Of course not. Nelson and coaches like him are far from perfect but they bring a lot to the table that contributes to a winning team. Not championship teams, but teams that win that might otherwise be much worse if in the hands of a lesser coach.

I think you are drastically underselling Nelson. The last Warriors team with a winning record that wasn't coached by Nelson was the 1987-88 team led by George Karl.

If all he was doing was telling people to jack up shots, does that mean that the other coaches were all so bad that they were actually hurting their teams and that someone out of the stands who told guys to shoot would be better? Of course not. Nelson and coaches like him are far from perfect but they bring a lot to the table that contributes to a winning team. Not championship teams, but teams that win that might otherwise be much worse if in the hands of a lesser coach.

If i am not mistaken Nelson's GS team is the only 8th seed to beat a number 1 seed in a 7 game first round series. Denver beat Seatle years ago but that was a 5 game series.