• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Joe Choked

gsuteke

• Premium Member

Hawks "fans" are the best. We kill the coach, players and everything associated with the team. Way to go hawks "fans".

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawks "fans" are the best. We kill the coach, players and everything associated with the team. Way to go hawks "fans".

Dude, have you ever listened to sports radio in the NE? Seriously, listen to the Boston sports shows today, half the calls will be about how Doc Rivers sucks, how Garnett has lost a step, how Ray Allen couldn't guard a statue, and how PP disappears for long stretches. Every passionate fanbase is like that in the US. I find it refreshing that fans on this board are taking players, coaches, and ownership to task. Without the pressure from the fan-side the ASG has no real incentive to do something else.

Second, when a player "fails", like in missing a clutch free throw, people are going to remember that more than the bad play made at 6:13 of the 2nd quarter. Thus, the discussion of did JJ "choke" at the line last night.

FWIW, I think if you go with the definition that choking is failing to accomplish one's stated goal when the pressures on, then you could attribute the lable "choke" to JJ last night. But, you can also ascribe that label to every great NBA player in a host of games. Jordan has "choked", so has Duncan, Stockton, Malone, Magic, Bird, etc, etc, etc. Players fail, its part of the game and its what makes sports so much fun to watch. JJ is the Hawks player and I enjoy him being on the team.

That all said, that loss SUCKS!

GO HAWKS!

Dude, have you ever listened to sports radio in the NE? Seriously, listen to the Boston sports shows today, half the calls will be about how Doc Rivers sucks, how Garnett has lost a step, how Ray Allen couldn't guard a statue, and how PP disappears for long stretches. Every passionate fanbase is like that in the US. I find it refreshing that fans on this board are taking players, coaches, and ownership to task. Without the pressure from the fan-side the ASG has no real incentive to do something else.

Second, when a player "fails", like in missing a clutch free throw, people are going to remember that more than the bad play made at 6:13 of the 2nd quarter. Thus, the discussion of did JJ "choke" at the line last night.

FWIW, I think if you go with the definition that choking is failing to accomplish one's stated goal when the pressures on, then you could attribute the lable "choke" to JJ last night. But, you can also ascribe that label to every great NBA player in a host of games. Jordan has "choked", so has Duncan, Stockton, Malone, Magic, Bird, etc, etc, etc. Players fail, its part of the game and its what makes sports so much fun to watch. JJ is the Hawks player and I enjoy him being on the team.

That all said, that loss SUCKS!

GO HAWKS!

Totally agree with everything you've said, Frosgrim. I would add though, that no one has said that great players don't choke. That's a given.

Too bad he needed 21, huh?

That is great logic. That makes almost as much sense as saying KG is known as a clutch player when he has been known for his 4th quarter disappearing acts his whole career.

Funny how i haven't seen you posting much lately. I wonder why.

That is great logic. That makes almost as much sense as saying KG is known as a clutch player when he has been known for his 4th quarter disappearing acts his whole career.

We've been over this. I have a life. And we've also been over this team's limitations as long as the ASG owns the team and Woody coaches them. I'll try to enjoy the ride, but but nights like last night, wear on you. Just like you've said that every point counts, well, so do the games. These losses will add up. We should have won last night's game. And it shouldn't have come down to Joe choking on one shot... that wasn't being defended... with the game on the line. lol!

Oh, I wish we had a player that could disappear like K.G. can!

It's all good, Ex. I'm happy for Joe that he has such fervent supporters!

We've been over this. I have a life.

Yet somehow you find time to post when JJ misses a free throw. I admire your time management skills.

Oh, I wish we had a player that could disappear like K.G. can!

We'd be a .500 team or worse right now if JJ played like KG in the clutch.

• Moderators
It's not the first quarter.... We ended the half up by 1, we entered the 4th up by 3. It's not the first quarter.

The problem was 4th quarter defense on KG. He just scored at will. I really don't see anyway we could stop him.

Seems to me that this is where not developing Solomon is a problem. He may not be able to guard Dwight Howard but against KG he'd match up pretty well when Smoove's out.

• Moderators
Yet somehow you find time to post when JJ misses a free throw. I admire your time management skills.

Everyone - keep posts about the post rather than the poster.

(Moderator hat off).

We'd be a .500 team or worse right now if JJ played like KG in the clutch.

JJ >> KG in the clutch. No question about it. Not in last night's game, but for their career. Saying KG is more clutch because of last night is like saying that Shaq is a better FT shooter than Reggie Miller if Shaq goes 9-11 against the Pacers on the same night Reggie goes 1-3.

Edited by AHF

Seriously JJ scored 10 of his game high 20 pts in the last 7 minutes of the game yet somehow he choked.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

That's our fan base for you.

It's funny that Bibby called out Celtic fans when we probably have the worst fans in all of sports.

In towns like Philly they dog you but they at least support you.

We have a combination of bandwagoners and fickle fans.

JJ, without a doubt, choked last night (sorry ex, it's true) but is FAR from being considered a "choke artist". There is a difference. Every great one jokes (you can't hit every game winner) but the reason they are able to choke is because they are good enough to always take the last shot. For the record, this won't be the last time JJ "chokes". But he'll win far more in between those times.

It's not the first quarter.... We ended the half up by 1, we entered the 4th up by 3. It's not the first quarter.

The problem was 4th quarter defense on KG. He just scored at will. I really don't see anyway we could stop him.

thats just one of them moments. KG is a big time player. We have no one to guard him in the post height wise. Woody shouldve seen his and sent ZAza or solo in to give his ass a hard foul and make him think twice about going in the paint since KG kept doing the same move.

Crap sometimes you have to send the most important message.

" not in my house!!"

Seems to me that this is where not developing Solomon is a problem. He may not be able to guard Dwight Howard but against KG he'd match up pretty well when Smoove's out.

I agree. 100 percent

For all the pregame talk around here of KG taking too many turn around jumpers... he makes them and thats what counts.

Yeah, I would have liked Joe to make that FT. If he did you could call his performance last night "clutch" and since he didn't I wouldn't call it a "clutch performance."

Still, as has been mentioned by everyone here, guys miss shots. Everyone does. It especially sucks when its a FT because you know the shot is coming and you are on the edge of your seat, but even the best FT shooters miss a couple and the law of averages hit Joe at a bad time last night.

He's still a great end of game player, he still deals with pressure well, it just would have been nice if he had hit that shot.

I don't like kicking our player when they're down but this one is obvious.

Joe looked uncomfortable at the FT line.

And he missed.

That was a hard fought game, I hate to see it end that way. Hopefully the Hawks won't let this loss linger.

Isn't Golden State up next? Joe may go for 40 in that game the way they play defense but he gets paid to hit those two free throws.

I gotta disagree Teke. I didn't think he looked uncomfortable at all. He looked like he always looked. I think he was as shocked as anybody that he missed the FT.

What happened . . was that Dominique put the "whammy" on him before he shot that last FT, talking about "I have no doubt that JJ is going to make this FT. He's a clutch player."

He did the same thing in the Boston game in November . . talking about . . "We're gonna get a stop. We're gonna get a stop." ( in reference to stopping Boston and winning the game, after Marvin hit the 3 to put us up 1 )

LOL . . blame Nique.

Ex . . . just let it go man. You know you won't win this argument. It's just funny that the "usual" suspects that are always dogging the Hawks, come out every time . . . EVERY TIME . . when they lose or someone makes a bad play to cost us a loss.

After a win . . . crickets from them. They can't say too much on a negative slant because of the win . . and they DAMN SURE ain't going to say much positive . . . so they usually stay silent after a win.

So I know why this irritates you. It's typical Hawksquawk though.

Edited by northcyde

Ex . . . just let it go man. You know you won't win this argument. It's just funny that the "usual" suspects in always dogging the Hawks, come out every time . . . EVERY TIME . . when they lose or someone makes a bad play to cost us a loss.

After a win . . . crickets from them. They can't say too much on a negative slant because of the win . . and they DAMN SURE ain't going to say much positive . . . so they usually stay silent after a win.

So I know why this irritates you. It's typical Hawksquawk though.

It is about as easy for me to let it go as it is for Smith to stop shooting 3s.

Might be time to start a new clutch log.