• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I don't think the Hawks will be seeking medical retirement...

mrhonline

• Premium Member

...for Speedy anytime this season because of the Darius Miles situation. Do you? :smile:

My guess is that he's now officially:

1. Trade bait for a cheap team wanting to save some money for this year. (Unlikely)

2. Trade bait as an expiring contract in the offseason if JJ is extended.

...for Speedy anytime this season because of the Darius Miles situation. Do you? :smile:

1. Trade bait for a cheap team wanting to save some money for this year. (Unlikely)

Trade bait, expiring contracts, whatever...just get him off the books and outta here. He's a turd in a punch bowl to me. What a waste of what???....36 million? That signing is up their with Koncak's huge deal...but not as bad as Chris Crawford. I still have nightmares about that one...how our francise can give a guy millions and millions of dollars because of one good playoff game still chaps my *ss...

I think it really depends on how its done. It seemed to me that Miles was "forced out" as much as he retired.

If the year goes by and Speedy can't play, he might make the decision to hang them up for good. So long as he and the Hawks are on good terms (which wasn't the case with Miles and the Blazers), I think we have less to worry about.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel we should keep Speedy until next February instead of going after the retirement route. His contract will be valuable when every other team is trying to get under the salary cap for the LBJ sweepstakes, and we can get a good player for his expiring contract.

If we get him to retire, we open up space under the luxury tax, but we'll still be above the salary cap threshold when you consider we need to retain Childress' restricted rights. Speedy retiring saves the ASG a few bucks, but doesn't give hardly any more flexibility to the team.

For the most part, Hawks are not paying Speedy anything. Disability Insurance

is covering most of his salary.

His entire salary counts against the Hawks. If he's gone, his salary is gone, the

Hawks have money to spend - - Oops! Now, instead of paying 20%, or what

ever it's costing them now, they must pay 100% of whoever they get to replace

him.

Example: @ 20% of a $5 Mil contract, Hawks pays $1 Mil and insurance pays $4 mil.

Hawks swap Speedy for another player with matching salaries. The new player has

a longer contract which is the reason we get the other, healthy player. He's able

to play and contribute. That's great! The thing is, Hawks have the exact same salary

figures as before, but THEY must now pay the entire $5 mil salary.

So, in this example, we see where we gain a healthy body and lose $4 mil in actual

cash out of the pocket.

Now the question becomes: Does that new player make the Hawks $4 mil better?

If so, great. If not, why rock the boat?

I believe it all comes down to money, or the lack of it.

Not unless someone signing Speedy puts us over the luxury tax. There is no incentive to sign Speedy otherwise, he isn't very good and we would already get all the benefits of the medical retirement if done in time (not as sure about this).