• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tebow is coming back to Florida

Admin

The Miami Dolphins used to have a guy that Tebow reminds me of back when I was young named Jim "Crash" Jensen who played quarterback, running back, fullback, wide receiver, tight-end, holder, and punt snapper and had a similar build to Tebow. Now I don't think that Tebow can do all the things that Jensen could do and I doubt Jensen was as physically gifted as a runner as Tebow is, but Jensen had a pretty damn good NFL career and if that's the direction Tebow wants to take (the NFL) then a role like that could be something that he could excel at. I've seen him catch the ball before and he's got great hands. Can you imagine having a guy capable of lining up anywhere on offense from TE, to RB, to QB, to WR to where he could run, throw, or catch the ball? Talk about a guy that would be difficult to defend.

Right, although in today's NFL its pretty rare to see even the most multi-talented guys line up in more than one spot (occasionally a RB in the slot or a TE out wide, but that isn't too strange). Of course, the Wildcat is an example but think about a guy like Ward who could almost certainly line up behind C and run or pass, it just doesn't happen too often.

It would be cool to see though, and with the success of the 'Cat, maybe we'll see more of it.

Right, although in today's NFL its pretty rare to see even the most multi-talented guys line up in more than one spot (occasionally a RB in the slot or a TE out wide, but that isn't too strange). Of course, the Wildcat is an example but think about a guy like Ward who could almost certainly line up behind C and run or pass, it just doesn't happen too often.

It would be cool to see though, and with the success of the 'Cat, maybe we'll see more of it.

Maybe a team will sign Vick, Vince Young and Tebow as their QBs and run a version of the Wildcat. It would be fun to watch as all 3 bring a little something different to the table. Even wilder, how much fun would it be see all 3 of them line up in the backfield together and then watch them shift around trying to figure out who was going to take the snap...and from where.

Ward is a great example of a guy who is being misused IMO. He's a tremendously talented guy that could line up at multiple positions and I think if Mike Mularkey were still the OC of the Steelers he would be using Ward in more ways that he's being used now. I think when Mularkey was their OC they had Kordell Stewart and I believe they had Antwan Randall El but I'm not sure but those guys don't have the physical bulk required to line up at RB or TE or anything like that which I could see Tebow or Ward doing. Sure neither of those guys would be a very good blocking TE and they wouldn't be the best passers or receivers or running backs in the league but the versatility would be dangerous.

I remember that Jensen would sometimes line up as the holder for FG's and sometimes he'd line up as the guy who tells the long snapper to hike the ball and depending on where he was lined up there were times when he'd take a fake punt or a fake FG and either run or throw it. It worked far more often than it failed. The problem is that it takes a pretty special athlete and of course it does subject them to more hits than they might normally get and it might be a money issue where the owners/coaches don't want the players being paid millions put in that position, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a guy like Tebow in that type of role.

Maybe a team will sign Vick, Vince Young and Tebow as their QBs and run a version of the Wildcat. It would be fun to watch as all 3 bring a little something different to the table. Even wilder, how much fun would it be see all 3 of them line up in the backfield together and then watch them shift around trying to figure out who was going to take the snap...and from where.

When you say "watch them shift around trying to figure out who was going to take the snap" the first thing that comes to my mind is Vince Young trying to figure out who was going to take the snap considering he isn't the sharpest crayon in the box.

• Moderators
Meyer really hasn't had an opportunity that I know of to have a true pocket QB yet at UF so maybe he'll adapt his style when he gets Tebow's replacement, or maybe he'll look for another Tebow type. The guy Tebow was behind before was Chris Leak and he ran the offense pretty much the same way if I remember correctly.

I agree with everything in your post except this part because Leak was a pure pocket QB. Had Meyer wanted to run a pure pocket QB at Florida he had a chance with Chris Leak. The fact that he took a square peck and tried to jam him into the round hole of their offense says volumes for whether Meyer wants to do that. All that said, I wouldn't be shocked to see a few pro sets installed next year for Tebow's benefit in the same way that some other teams install a bit of spread option as an alternative or the way a lot of NFL teams are installing some wildcat packages as a contrast to their bread and butter offense.

I agree with everything in your post except this part because Leak was a pure pocket QB. Had Meyer wanted to run a pure pocket QB at Florida he had a chance with Chris Leak. The fact that he took a square peck and tried to jam him into the round hole of their offense says volumes for whether Meyer wants to do that. All that said, I wouldn't be shocked to see a few pro sets installed next year for Tebow's benefit in the same way that some other teams install a bit of spread option as an alternative or the way a lot of NFL teams are installing some wildcat packages as a contrast to their bread and butter offense.

Was he? I didn't know much about him and only remember him running Meyer's offense and maybe that's why he wasn't that great of a college QB since he wasn't meant for that role.

Tebow and Meyer might have some type of agreement where if Tebow comes back that Meyer will put in some pro sets for him since it benefits them both.

• Moderators
Was he? I didn't know much about him and only remember him running Meyer's offense and maybe that's why he wasn't that great of a college QB since he wasn't meant for that role.

Yep. And a darn good one too:

He set North Carolina state records for passing yards in a career (15,593) and completions in a career (1,013), as well as the national record for touchdown passes in a career (185). The Scout recruiting service ranked Leak as a "five star" prospect coming out of high school, and the third best quarterback in the 2002 recruiting class.

At Florida, Leak started of pretty well being named to the SEC All-Freshman Team and Rivals.com’s Freshman All American Team. After that he had to learn different offensive systems his soph and jr years with changes at UF. He was a short pocket passer who did OK in Meyer's system but everyone was excited to see what Tebow would do because it was obvious Leak was not a fit in that system. Obviously, they were right to be excited for the future.

When you say "watch them shift around trying to figure out who was going to take the snap" the first thing that comes to my mind is Vince Young trying to figure out who was going to take the snap considering he isn't the sharpest crayon in the box.

:'(

Don't remind me dude! That would've been a funny mental picture except I can imagine it happening all to o vividly.