• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Question..What do most people think the Hawk's timetable is..?

PatheticATLfan

I see alot of posts on here from fans saying that they didn't think the Hawks were actually going to win a title this year(which to me translates competing for a title) so i wonder when most folks think we will get to that level? Are we a PG away? Are we a Center away? What if we had gotten Oden? Os somebody else? Would that have made us a contender? Interested to hear WHEN..some of you think the Hawks will break through? That means protecting homecourt(2-3 losses a year), win your fair share on the road(over a 500 win percentage or more)and get homecourt in the playoffs for: A. the entire playoffs or: B. all the way to the EC finals...and do all this on a consistant year in-year out basis?

I see alot of posts on here from fans saying that they didn't think the Hawks were actually going to win a title this year(which to me translates competing for a title) so i wonder when most folks think we will get to that level? Are we a PG away? Are we a Center away? What if we had gotten Oden? Os somebody else? Would that have made us a contender? Interested to hear WHEN..some of you think the Hawks will break through? That means protecting homecourt(2-3 losses a year), win your fair share on the road(over a 500 win percentage or more)and get homecourt in the playoffs for: A. the entire playoffs or: B. all the way to the EC finals...and do all this on a consistant year in-year out basis?

I don't think the team as currently constructed has the talent or coaching to compete for a championship. This off-season is going to be pretty important as they will need to make decisions on a couple of key guys - i.e., Bibby, Marvin and Zaza.

Josh Smith is probably the wild card though, if he ever figures it out the team could make a quantum leap.

• Premium Member

As currently constructed I don't see us winning it all unless one of the young guys (Smith/Marvin/Horford) becomes a legit all-star. But, that doesn't mean we aren't close. A big trade could get us over the hump, and we have a TON of trading pieces.

It's extremely rare that a homegrown team ends up making the finals without a major trade. A year ago the Lakers just looked like a mediocre team that hadn't a chance to compete, until the big Gasol trade, and Boston was the skidmark of the NBA.

As currently constructed, probably never going to be THAT good unless Josh/Marv/Horf all improve, Bibby doesn't regress, Joe can be a little more consistent, we upgrade the bench, and we stay healthy.

Otherwise, we'd need a trade. It couldn't be a trade for "a big" though. Swapping out either Al or Josh for Bogut or Kaman doesn't make us better. Hell, adding one of those guys for free and having Al come off the bench as a super sub wouldn't make us a title team by my estimation.

Bottom line is that stars win championships. Joe isn't a championship level player, which doesn't actually mean we can't win a chip with him being the best player, it just means that it is statistically very unlikely given NBA history. Same with Bosh. Neither of those players is an elite defender either, which is phenomenally important if you don't have one of those superstars like Mike, Larry, Magic who can just dominate game in and out.

• Premium Member
Bottom line is that stars win championships. Joe isn't a championship level player, which doesn't actually mean we can't win a chip with him being the best player, it just means that it is statistically very unlikely given NBA history. Same with Bosh. Neither of those players is an elite defender either, which is phenomenally important if you don't have one of those superstars like Mike, Larry, Magic who can just dominate game in and out.

Of course stars when championships. But JJ and Bosh, with Bibby and Horford as sidekicks is a good start that makes us a contender. We aren't getting a superstar big, that's not going to happen. Bosh is probably the closest thing to that, but Toronto would never do that trade anyway..

Have we ever been a legit title contender? Im not sure this is all we need but we need a low post back to the basket scorer. That way when the jumpers are not falling we have another high percentage option. I wonder sometimes why we don't post JJ on occasion. He would command some double teams and with his passing ability could find the open man. I think there would also need a coaching change. I would like to see a Hubie Brown style coach. I think Woody has done a good job but it is very seldom that one coach sees the rebuilding process all the way through. Really no idea at the moment who that post player or coach might be. Also I believe that the ownership debacle must be straightened out before we can really take another step forward.

Of course stars when championships. But JJ and Bosh, with Bibby and Horford as sidekicks is a good start that makes us a contender. We aren't getting a superstar big, that's not going to happen. Bosh is probably the closest thing to that, but Toronto would never do that trade anyway..

Not saying I wouldn't trade any one player on our team for Bosh, just saying that I'm not sure that would make us a title contender. Its hard to build a title winning team and for the most part it takes luck or being the Lakers/Celtics and being able to attract big name players.

I have to disagree with that. Odom is a nice player - a complimentary one, but not the difference maker the Hawks need.

I knew most wouldn't agree, but I look at things from a chemistry point of view. What are we? A half court team, without a low post threat, that struggles moving the ball around. You put Bibby, JJ, and LO out there with Horford and smith/Marvin. That is a nice team on the offensive end. LO and JJ can post up almost everytime down because they will get a mismatch at some point. If not you put JJ on one side and LO on the other and let them take turns isolating there man with Bibby ready to spot up top and Marvin sliding into the corners. Horfords there to play garbage man and set the pick if needed. I know it could work.

With the current age on the roster the Hawks window is open more then any team in the league except the Blazers.

In the off season longterm decisions will be made by Sund. Teams will actively clearing cap space for the hyped 2010 FA. It will be a buyers market for both trades and FA. Good news for us. Hopefully that equals good deals for Marvin and Bibby since half the league is holding out for 2010 FA causing there to be fewer bidders in '09.

Bigs like D. Lee, R. Wallace, Wilcox, Varejo, Heywood, McDeysse, J. Smith, Gooden will be in the FA pool with few bidders swimming around.

I think 95% of the board would trade anyone on the roster for Bosh, if he signed an extension, but thats probably just wishful thinking on our part. Boozer says he will opt out at the end of this season so he is a wild card too.

I knew most wouldn't agree, but I look at things from a chemistry point of view. What are we? A half court team, without a low post threat, that struggles moving the ball around. You put Bibby, JJ, and LO out there with Horford and smith/Marvin. That is a nice team on the offensive end. LO and JJ can post up almost everytime down because they will get a mismatch at some point. If not you put JJ on one side and LO on the other and let them take turns isolating there man with Bibby ready to spot up top and Marvin sliding into the corners. Horfords there to play garbage man and set the pick if needed. I know it could work.

I think LO gets a break in LA b/c the best post defender is normally on Gasol. If he played for the Hawks I bet the best post defender would now be on Odom most of the time. Plus he plays with either the #1 or #2 player in the world. That makes life easy. Odom is NEVER the focal point of the defense.

Its not like Odom has ever been a great post player any way. He is 30 and polished but not a guy who really commands double teams. He is also about as consistent as Smith. His only advantage, I see, is that he now gets down and dirty for rebounds but in 3 years Odom will be washed up and Marvin and Smith will be in their primes at only 26.

Edited by coachx

Our young players with potential really haven't improved this year. We still have plenty of time for that to occur. Some including me thought Al could be as good as Boozer, now maybe I'm saying as good as Okafor. Marvin can be as good as Caron Butler or a less aggressive Paul Pierce. If Acie were to improve enough to bench Bibby, say he was nearly as good as Chauncey Billups. Combine any of those with healthy Josh and Joe doing what they can do and a better Coach and we should contend.