• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My Josh Smith Sarcasm thread

thecampster

Damn it guys did you see the game against the Clippers last night. 4 turnovers and 2 missed free throws.

Dang it Josh what were you thinking? Yeah sure I know what you're gonna say, "Hey camp lay off, I shot 67% from the field with 26 points. Shot 75% on free throws and grabbed 8 rebounds had 3 steals and blocked a shot. Come on man, lighten up."

Well Josh I've had it with your lackidasical attitude! If you wanna settle for 26 points while missing 33% of the time then be my guest. I've had it with you spoiled 6'9" jump out of the building atheletes that think just because the other guys on the court are professionals trying hard to win that gives you an excuse to turn the ball over 4 times. Grow up Josh. Who was even guarding you on those 2 free throws huh? Not a hand in your face and you miss 2 freebies.

And 1 blocked shot. You think that's really enough. You average 2.8 last year and unless i start seeing that again you're riding the pine. Seriously, unless you start living up to your potential and scoring 40 points a night and not shooting anything but layups and dunks, grabbing 18 rebounds and improve on last season by up'ing your blocks per game to 4, I don't wanna hear it. You were after all the 17th pick in the draft...that's almost a lottery selection.

You're satisfied with 3 steals? L.A. had 90 possessions last night. 90!!! You're telling me you can't steal the ball just 10 percent of the time. It's all I'm asking man, a 10% effort. I wanna see 9 steals next game or so help me I'm throwing away all your trading cards you selfish, high ankle sprain toting, slam dunk champion wannabee. Let me lay it straight. You stole the ball 3 times and blocked one shot. You turned it over 4 times... That's a tie im my book and means one more mistake and you coulda "loss" us the game. If Bibby hadn't made 3 of his 10 shots, we coulda been in serious trouble....he bailed you out big time man.

Lastly the most disturbing thing about your stat line last night "0" assists. What are you thinking....you think just because you shoot 67% from the field that no one else wants a turn. You too good to kick it up top and let someone else try? When you see that open 10 footer next time, I want you to think long and hard about what you're gonna do. Should you shoot the open 10 foot jumper or pass to a teammate 25 feet from the basket. Are you or aren't you a team player? Zaza Pachulia only got to shoot the ball 3 times last night you ball hog. It's no wonder he only scored 3 points with you dominating the ball like that. You had Marvin Williams so frustrated he got 5 fouls (He had to hit someone. Unlike you he is a team player and wouldn't take it out on a teammate). Because of you Joe Johnson only hit 1 3 pointer last night. He only got 5 shots at it. If you aren't gonna let him keep shooting it from out there, how is he ever supposed to find his sights again. You are so "all about Josh".

You think just because you went for 20 or more points in 7 of the last 10 games that makes you an offensive weapon? You think that's a trend? O please. We pay you block shots and rebound and you should only be shooting after catching an alleyoop.

I'm sure there are plenty of things I missed in my anger at you cuz I could barely watch. You just realized if you keep scoring 26 points a game you might just lose yourself a fan.

I wish you made these threads for ALL his games this year. Smoove is still not a smart ballplayer, but i blame Woody for that though.

Smoove did have a good game, against a team missing 3 starters and on a 11 game losing streak. I think ill go to the YMCA and ball on some 8th graders and post my stats up here.

I wish you made these threads for ALL his games this year. Smoove is still not a smart ballplayer, but i blame Woody for that though.

Smoove did have a good game, against a team missing 3 starters and on a 11 game losing streak. I think ill go to the YMCA and ball on some 8th graders and post my stats up here.

yeah true, but against those same 8th graders, Joe was mysteriously off again...but he did shoot 47% and Bibby shot 30%

and they did managed to put Marvin in foul trouble.

But Ok...let's post one for the year. Let's compare stats and see just how Josh has done for the year compared to say Joe.

Player-----PPG----FG%--Shots--Assist----REB----Stl----Blk---TO----MPG

Joe--------22.0---43.5-----18.8---6.1-------4.5----1.0-----.4---2.3--39.36

Josh------15.7----47.8-----12.2---2.6--------6.8----1.5----1.5--2.6--35.06

So let's see....Josh is scoring 6.3 less points a game but taking 6.6 less shots. Josh is getting 3.5 less assists but is grabbing 1.7 more rebounds, getting .5 more steals, 1.1 more blocks. He's turning the ball over .3 more times a game (that's less than 1 turnover more every 3 games) while playing 4.3 less minutes....hmm...why the minutes disparity I wonder. Oh that's right, the 4th game of the year Josh got hurt after playing only 11 minutes and scoring only 6 points...so it's throwing the numbers off a little. and he was limited in 2 of the first 5 starts back from injury to 24 and 28 minutes also throwing off those stats a little. Hmm...I wonder what the 48min per comparisons look like this year. Let's do that as that will give us a better idea of impact.

Player---points---shots---reb-----assist-----stl----blk---turnover

Joe-------25.5-----21.3---5.5------7.4--------1.24--.45----2.8

Josh-----23.3-----18.9---9.3-------3.6-------2.05--2.05---3.6

So compare the per 48 stats and Joe scores 1.8 more points but takes 2.4 more shots to do it, gets 3.8 less rebounds while dishing out 3.8 more assists but get .81 less steals and 1.6 less blocks but at least turns the ball over .8 times less per 48 minutes.

That's for the season. I can easily argue with these stats that your criticism of Josh, although on some points could be technically valid, it's extremely harsh. And that's the point. Your criticism of him is extremely harsh in comparison to the other people on the team when you consider by these stats he's statistically equivalent or better as a whole player.

I give Smoove props all the time. I love Smoove. I just dont like our head coach allowing Smoove to play out of his game. You just seen against the Clippers when he plays within his game and skills, he is unstoppable.

But Smoove has not played smart basketball most of this season and its killing us.

• Premium Member
I give Smoove props all the time. I love Smoove. I just dont like our head coach allowing Smoove to play out of his game. You just seen against the Clippers when he plays within his game and skills, he is unstoppable.

But Smoove has not played smart basketball most of this season and its killing us.

Funny that it's "killing us" considering his turnovers are down and his FG% is almost 50% and a career high. Sure he takes dumb jumpshots, but that doesn't mean he isn't one of our most important players. And, it's the coaches fault that he keeps taking those long jumpers. 15 feet and in I want Smith shooting, but any further than that he should look to drive unless it's the end of the shot clock.

Agreed, I thought this was a funny post. I also like that tonegully just doesn't have it in him to give real props.

Sup crimedog and thanks. I mean i spent like 10 or 15 minutes writing that and I'm glad someone is giving me my due. You know to put this in to perspective about how i feel about the vibe I get on people about Joe, Josh and Marvin I wanted to post one more thing. Their salaries. for the whole team that is. Forget the number, see it as "this is what they get paid in relation to each other, and compare that to what they bring to the floor compared to each other.

Bibby 15.225 million

Johnson 14.233 million

Smith 10 million

Claxton 5.758 million

Williams 5.636 million

Horford 4.027 million

Pachulia 4 million

Evans 2.5 million

Law 2.072 million

Murray 1.5 million

Morris .798 million

Jones .798 million

Gardner .712 million

West .712 million

Hunter .442 million

Total 68 million

When you consider Marvin is making almost a 3rd as much as JJ or Bibby, is criticizing his performance to the level we do really valid. When you see that Josh is making 10 and Bibby and Johnson are each making around 14 - 15 and given the numbers in this thread is it more fair to question Josh as a Hawk or the people we're paying the most. They are getting paid to perform...compensation vs. impact. Josh is 14.7% of the team salary. Bibby is 22.39 % and Johnson is 20.9. Marvin is 8.29 %. So it stands to reason that statistically we're expecting them to produce 23.9 and 20.9 percent of the Offensive and Defensive impact. Using a fairly complicated formula based off fantasy numbers where points =1, rebounds = 1, assists, steals, blocks =2, turnovers = -2 and then factor in shooting percentage (because missing a shot is no different than a turnover. The law of averages say that if a player shoots 50% from 2 point land than each shot =1 point...so if a player misses more than 50% of the time it's the same as a turnover. We'd get an impact formula that looks like this for Joe (22.0 + 4.5 + 12.2 + 2 + .8 - 4.6 - 2.4) = 34.5. This is Joe's impact number.

The Hawks as a whole score 98 ppg, get 40.3 rebounds, get 21.6 assists, 6.9 steals, 4.9 blocks, 12.5 TO and miss 3.35 more shots than 50%. This makes the hawks base formula (98 + 40.3 + 43.2 + 13.8 + 9.8 - 25 - 6.70) = 173.4.

Josh Smith by comparison, his impact formula is (15.7 + 6.8 + 5.2 + 3.0 + 3.0 - 5.2 - .4) = 28.1

Bibby (16 + 3.6 + 10.6 +2.4 + .4 - 3.0 - 1.3) = 28.7

Marvin (13.4 + 6.1 + 3 + 1.8 + 1.4 - 2.4 - .7) = 22.6

So Joe is 34.5/173.4 = 19.896 percent positive impact.

Josh is 28.1/173.4 = 16.2 percent positive impact

Bibby is 28.7/173.4 = 16.55 percent positive impact

Marvin is 22.6/173.4 = 13.03 percent positive impact

Ok now think about what they make compared. Take what they were expected to impact and divide it by their actual impact and you should get your "living up to expectations quotient".

Bibby - 16.55 / 22.39 = 73.9 % living up to salary expectations

Joe - 19.896 / 20.9 = 95.2% living up to salary expectations

Josh - 16.2 / 14.7 = 110.2% living up to salary expectations

Marvin - 13.03 / 8.29 = 157.2% living up to salary expectations

This is really why i say the criticism of Josh and most certainly to this point Marvin isn't warranted and is harsh. But per this very simple formula that would be used by most every bean counter at any company in america, Bibby is not living up to his salary and Joe is close. Basketball least we forget is a business and we pay these guys to perform. (FYI keep in mind this formula was slightly weighted in favor of Mike and Joe as I counted Assists more heavily than rebounds).

Maybe Woody needs new batteries in his controller? Then again I'm confused because if Smoove plays his game then Smoove gets the credit. When Smoove doesn't play his game Woody gets the blame. How can that be?

Funny that it's "killing us" considering his turnovers are down and his FG% is almost 50% and a career high. Sure he takes dumb jumpshots, but that doesn't mean he isn't one of our most important players. And, it's the coaches fault that he keeps taking those long jumpers. 15 feet and in I want Smith shooting, but any further than that he should look to drive unless it's the end of the shot clock.

Well from now on let's make sure that we give Woody credit for every shot that Smoove takes from 15 feet and in.

Maybe Woody needs new batteries in his controller? Then again I'm confused because if Smoove plays his game then Smoove gets the credit. When Smoove doesn't play his game Woody gets the blame. How can that be?

woodson doesnt know a damn thing about offense. he has had smoove four 4 years and still don't know what he can do.